Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

Grand Exchange in OSRS

I'll be thrilled honestly when it comes out, trading as it is now in osrs is just a hassle now.

Haven't played osrs now since quite a while all because of the trading system.

Definetly going back when it comes out.

Posted (edited)

Revitalizing this topic.

The Grand Exchange can be seen as both the best and worst update for Runescape at the same time. It allows for an entirely new view on merchanting and interacting with buying and selling, and makes a vast difference in availability of goods. But something has been lost, particularly for Old School. Effort and satisfaction at gaining certain level achievements has been compromised. Now 99 Smithing for example is far less rewarding for it's output and input - the skill level can be bought with in-game gold far more easily, and the rune items made at that level no longer have exclusivity. A similar thing appears with other skills such as Crafting and Runecrafting. High Alchemy is also changed forever in it's use and application.

Having said this the Grand Exchange offers plenty of money-making methods for new players that did not exist before. If you are prepared to do something more monotonous at first when gaining your feet it is far more rewarding in Runescape than it was prior to the Grand Exchange existing. Soft clay and water filled vials are examples of money making methods that suddenly become more viable.

I would honestly put the preference of existence of the Grand Exchange in OSRS down to some kind of bizarre coin flip.

Edited by Sajoh

I do not think the Grand Exchange created an increase of money-making methods. If anything, they removed a lot of the leeway traders had. If there was one certain thing about the designated trade worlds, it was that you could earn money by just playing the market. The Grand Exchange just did the equivalent of linking the market to a uniform, forced, standard, and then taking a cut in the process. If anything, it siphoned away more of the profit margins of trade in general. What it did, however, was remove the chances of being scammed, and also made it easier to buy things in large quantities in bulks.

I think that it is probably smart to remember the Grand Exchange in its historical context. It was not meant to enhance or improve trading. It was meant to directly replace trading when JaGEx went full crusade towards any kind of Real-world trading, and otherwise interactions between accounts. To me, the Grand Exchange was just a cancer that spread into a game I loved, and it killed all the fun I had with it. Sure, it might not have been a malignant cancer, but even a benign tumor can kill you if it grows too large.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Yuanrang said:

I do not think the Grand Exchange created an increase of money-making methods.

Convenience in one sense though is something you cannot deny has taken place, especially for the inexperienced.

Otherwise I agree with what you had to say, I miss the days of both versions of Runescape before the Grand Exchange. On a side note I considered free trade to be more important than the Wilderness.

Edited by Sajoh