Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

Grand Exchange in OSRS

Just today a new poll was introduced into OSRS which will be one of the most important polls in OSRS history, the Grand Exchange. Basically voting yes means you're voting to an automated trading system as seen in RS3. Currently the vote is just shy of the 75% needed to pass and many youtubers like Sparc mac are out trying to get everyone to vote yes.

I'm interested in seeing what you guys think. I don't play OSRS much, but the Grand Exchange does not feel Old School to me. Then again, neither does the corporeal beast or even the God Wars tbh. Also, I feel the Grand Exchange (and many other updates, such as the friends chat) killed random player to player interaction, which is not always great but it's better than not typing anything to anyone at all. So if I played OSRS, I would vote no. However I don't play OSRS so I won't be voting.

Any thoughts on this? Aside from the Old School debate, this basically comes down to convenience versus the feeling of adventure.

Vote currently at: 74.3% (needs 75%)

Edited by Sobend

I don't play Old School, but I share the opinion that the Grand Exchange removes a number of important aspects that characterize earlier ages. In fact, I believe that the implementation of the Grand Exchange was easily among the most momentous factors delineating "new" from "old" in RuneScape. The feeling of adventure does indeed diminish when everything you need or want can be attained by placing money into such an automated system.

The player base isn't super limited. It's around 60% of what the RS3 player base is.

I don't support the GE for a few reasons. It does lack the old school feel, however, my view is that it does devalue a lot of achievements in the game in terms of buyable skills. Getting 99 farming, much less 200m farming, is devalued a ton with a GE where you can afk and let your character bank farming while in the past, many players have to buy seeds 1 at a time, player-by-player.

With that being said, that also brings up another point, why should someone be able to make progress in the game when they aren't even online? The GE in the purest form allows for this, which I'm against.

Interaction with players is important, the idea of people getting scammed is just silly and there is no reason to get scammed when trading with trading posts and ESPECIALLY when double checking your 2nd trade screen. There's just no excuse for getting scammed 2014/2015. Come on. Item scamming isn't a valid reason for GE.

GE also causes a lot of damage to items prices and ruins a lot of the effort that should be made when merchanting. A GE-free Runescape wouldn't guarantee that prices would be without damage and there should be balancing issues that are considered throughout the development of Old School to ensure a stable economy but the GE isn't a viable answer to the problems in question.

This isn't to say that the trading post shouldn't be changed. It definitely needs to be tweaked. For example, you should be able to make buy offers as well as sell offers. You should also be able to make a post or give some information on how you want the trade done AKA 'join x fc' or 'meet w362 rogue's den'. Along with this, they should make it to where if you don't specify a special request for the trade, you must have your private turned on for it to post. It's very frustrating to see a quarter or half the people selling that have there pm turned off. There might be a few other things that should be changed but these are the ones I think of off the top of my head.

At any rate, no the GE is bad for the game and I'm against it by a lot.

Let's be serious here, as you pointed out OSRS stopped being 07 based a long time ago. It isn't an untouched version like RSC because it is actually popular and Jagex can't help but attempt to milk their players as much as possible. Hence all of the updates and such.

At this point OSRS is a game like RS3 except it receives less updates not to bother the percentage of players who actually play it for the Old School feel, but still has them to keep everyone else happy and interested.

As such I don't think the fact the GE didn't exist on 07 counts as a valid argument against it, because OSRS is not longer a 07 based game. Also I think the GE and fcs had little to do with the decrease of player to player interaction. Well sure it hastened its end, but if they were to remove fcs, GE and all of that people would just find a way around it and use Skype, IRC etc heck maybe they would even use forums more often again.

GE would make a lot of things easier, and personally it will be useful for me when I start playing, I'm so used to the RS3 pricing system I'd probably find it super annoying having to keep up with the prices of everything not to get scammed and to have to individually buy everything I need like Rune sets for wars. So personally if I were to vote I'd be inclined to votes yes.

But then on the other hand I'm not going to play OSRS for the old school feel and nostalgia or because I enjoy that version of the game, but pure and simply because it is where the clan world is at. For that reason I don't think I should have a say, and I'm not going to vote.

I'm not sure about the player base of OSRS, but if it's severely limited, I think it makes sense for it to exist. Sure it kills a lot of what I enjoyed (I love being scammed), but if direct player to player trade is unfeasible, it makes sense to me to set up the GE. If you don't have to wait five minutes just to get into World 2 where 30 people are selling the holy shizzle Rune (Z) platelegs, then I think it'll be best even if it detracts from the old school feel.

The player base isn't super limited. It's around 60% of what the RS3 player base is.

I was impressed with the number I saw last night that had voted on this poll, over 32,000. That's pretty amazing.

I'm not sure about the player base of OSRS, but if it's severely limited, I think it makes sense for it to exist. Sure it kills a lot of what I enjoyed (I love being scammed), but if direct player to player trade is unfeasible, it makes sense to me to set up the GE. If you don't have to wait five minutes just to get into World 2 where 30 people are selling the holy shizzle Rune (Z) platelegs, then I think it'll be best even if it detracts from the old school feel.

I was impressed with the number I saw last night that had voted on this poll, over 32,000. That's pretty amazing.

Yeah, and to be fair the GE would probably help out the game's popularity quite a bit.

There's also an economic side to this though. Easy trading would allow people to dump many unused items that people have in their banks into circulation, theoretically lowering the price of many items. I'm not sure as to what extent this will happen. It will be interesting to find out.

If I played it I would vote no. People will start asking for an older version, without all the updates.

When this poll first came around I voted no, I was one of "the 28%" :P At this point I wouldn't mind it, but I would like to make some tweaks:

1. No offline trading

2. Leave the "GE" either like trading posts now (in banks across RS) or put it somewhere else (ideally the new continent). I don't like how it sucks up all the area between Varrock Castle and Edgeville, it's just too big.

I will not really like the GE if it passes, but at the same time I think it's probably for the best of OSRS. I'm surprised it's as popular as it is now (about one third of everybody playing at any given time plays 07). Still, it needs some help because it is a graphically outdated game. Maybe the GE is that help.

If it makes a difference, the GE came out in 2007.

As such I don't think the fact the GE didn't exist on 07

The Grand Exchange was released on November of 2007.

Anyway from what I've heard, trading in-game can be a total hassle for a variety of reasons. Back in the day it was alright, because there was a much larger player base, but nowadays it simply isn't feasible.

More like just under 50%

More like just under 50%

Eh not bad for a random approximation.

As such I don't think the fact the GE didn't exist on 07

The Grand Exchange was released on November of 2007.

Right, but it didn't exist in the 2007 version being used as the base of OSRS. It's meant to be a premodern version of RuneScape before the GE and many other updates that made the game easier and less bothersome.

I've played Old School fairly casually in the past, but if the GE comes out I don't think I'd bother ever coming back. It just doesn't feel right or like the game I'd want to play.

According to my calculations the vote in favor of GE is 74.998%. I just voted no, I wonder if I am the deal-breaker there :P There could be tweaks to the GE but I doubt they will pass the 75% threshold.

I'm not going to tell anyone to vote if they don't care, but if you do care and play 07 you should vote because this is one of the rare instances every vote counts.

Well I really don't care much about it, I feel it'd make my life easier but as I pointed out in my first post I do not intend to fully play OSRS, I'll basically just afk train combat and do Wilderness Wars once I get the required level to join a decent clan. So yeah while it'd be useful for me it doesn't really bother me enough, the only items I will need to buy are Rune sets which are probably some of the items with the most supply and demand which means it won't be difficult for me to buy them so I can live without a GE.

It's one of those cases where I'd rather do what the Sal's community wants seeing as it doesn't matter to me but it's important to some of you.

Edited by Micael Fatia

This is definitely passing. It's super close, has already been above 75%, and campaigning streamers (who are almost all in favor of the Grand Exchange) are going to get people to the polls.

It's passing now at the moment. Anyway, I feel somewhat bad, but I just voted no. I don't see myself playing Old School if there's a Grand Exchange. It's probably good for the game, but it's not going to be the game for me. Grand Exchange does not fit into my definition of Old School Runescape. Neither does the Corporeal Beast, but the Corporeal beast is not a central feature of the game.

Also a bit disappointed the 50k price to retrieve items from Zulrah is not passing.

Also a bit disappointed the 50k price to retrieve items from Zulrah is not passing.

It's not a shock considering it's hard to ask people to make their lives more difficult. The free-items back thing was never polled anyway, so maybe Jagex should just add on the 50k without a poll.

Yeah... A Friend has come out in support of it so basically I think its going to happen.

I don't have an opinion about GE in OS but I know that when it came to the game proper I liked it.

Yeah... A Friend has come out in support of it so basically I think its going to happen.

I believe he supported it the last time this poll was up and it didn't pass. However there are definitely more famous players supporting it than there were in the past. From what I can tell the most influential player on 07 is Sparc Mac, I believe he was officially neutral the last time but now he is supporting it.

Ah I suppose. Only reason I mentioned A Friend is because hes the only RS guy I'm subscribed to (I think).

I much preferred the introduction back in the day because it made trading easier which gave me more time to actually play the game instead of standing in a bank

later on the ge became my main source of game content as pretty much full time merchant :P

tip: when the GE was introduced I earned a ton of money with buying santa hats for 10m in fally and selling them on the ge for 11,5m instantly (under market price ge)

so if it comes, be ready