Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
teacuptime

Should we have a RuneLabs section?

Recently, I've been quite active on the Official RS threads for RuneLabs. For those who haven't been following the topic, RuneLabs is intended to replace the Official Suggestions forum with a system where ideas are voted on by players.

It's been launched with a bare minimum of features - no voting, no searching, and deletion of troll posts being handled manually by Jmods. At the time of writing, 3 days after launch, there are 6,847 ideas in the system, with obviously game-breaking nonsense ideas outweighing rational suggestions by a factor of somewhere around 90:10, and ideas that would actually be worth putting into the game making up an even smaller portion of those. Jagex have rejected repeated calls for downvotes. To help you understand the issue, and because some of them are simply hilarious, I've collected my favourites of the more 'interesting' ideas here: http://runescape.salmoneus.net/forums/blog/570/entry-72070-runelabs/

This, coupled with the lack of an decent index or search facilities, provides an interesting dilemma for fan sites:

As it stands, there are far too many ideas for any one person to read through, so Jagex's idea that good suggestions will naturally rise to the top obviously isn't going to work, especially if all they are looking at is the number of votes an idea has, because a good idea on page 137 that gets an upvote from nearly everyone that sees it will have perhaps 1/100th the page views of an average to poor idea on page 4 that get an upvote from only 5% of people who read it. If a fan site drives traffic to the idea on page 137 though...

So, what should the attitude of a fansite be to RuneLabs? Should we encourage links to good ideas, or ban them, or add a new a forum for them, or perhaps collaborate as we do on quest guides to write 'Sals' suggestions and aggressively encourage all members to vote the results up?

Sounds about good, but we already have a suggestions section. But then again while suggestions and Runelab ideas are the same in theory perhaps an update to the current suggestions section is necessary for the reasons mentioned in this topic. Would be nice to have a section we can check were all of the best Runelab ideas are posted and can be discussed.

I think both renaming the suggestions board or creating a subforum in the suggestions section would work, but I'd personally go with the former.

Edit: I misread, thought you were suggesting creating a new section for Runelabs and not asking what our approach should be concerning Runelabs. I like your idea of posting the best ideas in our forums so they can be seen and discussed by the community.

Edit2: Actually nvm I didn't misread, it's in the topic title. Feeling dumb now lol. :P

Edited by Micael Fatia

Seems to me the suggestions forum should cover it. Maybe a pinned topic in the forum but I don't see what's wrong with suggestions as it is.

It's mostly because I believe in the current suggestions section you can only post your own suggestions. A Runelab section would allow you to post Runelab suggestions submitted by users that are not even part of the Sals community for us to discuss them.

1 way or another something to highlight the gold in the sea of ... muck that is Runelabs wuld be a good idea for the reasons stated, even if it is only a pinned "useful Runelabs suggestions" at the top of the current sugestions section as ^ from shooter.