Sal's RuneScape Forum
Lynnretta

Lesser Demons or Hill Giants?

Question

Last night I entered the volcano and began attempting to fight Lesser Demons as a Mage - Someone immediately said "Magic here on Lessers? You should go fight Hill Giants."

So, I researched Hill Giants a bit and plan to go check them out today.

But, what is the main difference between these creatures - Are Lessers more immune to magic than Hill Giants?

I will admit, I was not completely prepared for the aggressiveness of the Lessers so I teleported back to Varrock. :unsure:

8 answers to this question

Each monster has a designated weakness. Always try to exploit this weakness for maximum DPS.

Lesser Demons, for example, attack using Magic. This makes them weak to range (in general- bolts having the highest accuracy against them.)

Magic and Melee will both be okay, but won't be as effective as range (note that at higher levels, you have a bit more flexibility)

In comparison, Hill Giants attack using melee- this makes them weak to Magic attacks (Check out the Combat Triangle) and thus magic is more effective against them than it is against Lesser Demons.

Like Rene said the combat triangle is very important.

Magic beats Melee

Melee beats Ranged

Ranged beats Magic

Lesser Demons are magic based creatures, and thus they are weak to ranged attacks. More precisely bolts if I'm not mistaken (next to their names you should be able to see an icon of the combat style they are weak to). So if you use bolts against Lesser Demons you'll be more effective (hit higher and more often) than normal, but even if you don't have a crossbow and bolts you should still receive a bonus as long as you use ranged (bow & arrows for example) against them because they're magic based.

On the other hand using melee isn't recommended because they have a better resistance to melee based attacks.

Magic can be used to kill Lessers, I'm not sure why that person acted shocked/surprised when he/she saw you maging.

Edited by Micael Fatia

Thank both of you for your explanations. I appreciate it.

I just now (After playing RS for years, then stopping for years) am beginning to learn and understand the intricacies of the game. I absolutely love Runescape!

I went down and fought the Hill Giants today; I can easily defeat them without taking much damage, ever. My only complaint is their drops: When I was fighting Ankous I amassed over 2 Million in just a month due to their drops. Hill Giant drops? A glass of beer, LOL.

Thanks again!

Edited by Lynnretta

Woah beer>few million gp.

They are actually decent money though, if you sell the bones. If you go to the resource dungeon beneath edgeville dungeon and pick up the bones and limpwurt roots that spawn, you can make 200k-300k an hour. That's how it was in 2013 anyway. You will be running to the bank a lot though and that will hurt your xp rates.

Woah beer>few million gp.

They are actually decent money though, if you sell the bones. If you go to the resource dungeon beneath edgeville dungeon and pick up the bones and limpwurt roots that spawn, you can make 200k-300k an hour. That's how it was in 2013 anyway. You will be running to the bank a lot though and that will hurt your xp rates.

I'm collecting the limpwurt, but not the big bones. The point of me training on Hill Giants is not the drops or the gold, I tell myself. It's the XP.

I will share this with you: I now have about 2.5 Million dollars (From Ankour drops in the past months) - In the past playing, I never even earned 1 million coins, so, I am just being greedy - 2.5M is plenty for what I need to buy right now (Which is primarily Swordies and runes).

+ I just finished the Dragon Slayer quest tonight and can now wear full Batwing armor - I am now completey outfitted with Batwing! :)

2,5 million dollars? :P

Congrats on completing Dragon Slayer, didn't know it was a requirement to be able to wear full Batwing. I still learn new things everyday too by the looks of it. :P

2,5 million dollars? :P

Congrats on completing Dragon Slayer, didn't know it was a requirement to be able to wear full Batwing. I still learn new things everyday too by the looks of it. :P

Dollars, no? Is it GP?

Yeah it's gp (gold pieces), but honestly it'd be hilarious if they had named the currency "dollars". I'd finally be able to brag about having millions of dollars! :P