Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
upam

Easier Test Questions

Hello everyone, I am new to this find forum and new to the world of RS.

By me being new to RS, I had a hard time registering because of the

anti-bot (for lack of a better term) test question. It took me quite a few tries

before I finally got a question correct. I am sure that other players new

to RS did not know the answers and simply gave up trying to register.

May I suggest easier questions or test for people that are new to the

world of RS, when registering. I can understand using tests to keep

out spam bots, but maybe not so hard as to keep out new RS players

who want nothing more then to register on this forum to learn about

playing RS with better understanding.

I hope to learn all I can here and share future experiences that may be

helpful to others.

EDIT: The question I am referring to is at the bottom of the registration

page "Registration Question". The question refers to RS which I am sure is

easy for regular RS players. I didn't have a clue to the answer since I am

new to the game. After getting a wrong answer, it asked me another question

about RS which I didn't know the answer, again because I am new to RS.

Please consider this.

Edited by upam

I'm not sure what test you're referring to, can you elaborate a little more please?

At the bottom of the registration page is "Registration Question" the question refures

to the game.

Hm. I just tried to make a new account but didn't see any "test" question either.

At the bottom of the registration page is "Registration Quesion" that refers to the

game. The answers may be quite easy for regular RS players, but for newbies

like me, not have a clue.

Ah I see what you mean. I just tested it myself about 20 or so times and I only got three different questions, all of which pretty easy. All you have to do is google them.

The answers were Jagex, Gielinor and RuneScape. The only I can see seeing somewhat complicated for a newbie is the one that asks for the name of the planet (Gielinor) but that one gives you most of the letters of the answer (Gi-----or). A quick Google seach would give you everything you need. :/

They're really basic, made to stop bots only. It's hard to make them any easier.

Edited by Micael Fatia

Ah I see what you mean. I just tested it myself about 20 or so times and I only got three different questions, all of which pretty easy. All you have to do is google them.

The answers were Jagex, Gielinor and RuneScape. The only I can see seeing somewhat complicated for a newbie is the one that asks for the name of the planet (Gielinor) but that one gives you most of the letters of the answer (Gi-----or). A quick Google seach would give you everything you need. :/

They're really basic, made to stop bots only. It's hard to make them any easier.

As I said, an easy enough question for a regular player of RS, but certainly not easy for newbies who want to learn. Thats why this would be one of their stops, in order to learn. I found myself googling for answers (should a newbie have to google for answers just to register). I agree that there needs to be methods to stop bots, but I am afraid this is also keeping out newbies who don't know the game and so they may go searching elsewhere.

Edited by upam

Weird, never seen that before. I agree with you though, why would you ask someone to answer questions about a game they have never played before?

Honestly I would've flunked the Gielinor question for the first year of my playing time :P They should get rid of that one at least.

Honestly I would've flunked the Gielinor question for the first year of my playing time :P They should get rid of that one at least.

It seemed that I was getting every question wrong. Even when it asked about the owner of RS, I knew it was Jaqex but I am

afraid my spelling was wrong.

I still don't get what the issue is. One of the possible questions was "what game is the Sals community based on" or "What game do we play" just worded differently.

The other two asked for the name of the company that created RuneScape and for the name of the land of RuneScape, I googled "RuneScape" (just that one word) and this came up as the first thing in the search: "Play the best MMORPG RuneScape for free. Join the millions of others already exploring the fantasy game world of Gielinor." and on the right side was a giant RuneScape logo and a paragraph taken from Wikipedia saying RuneScape is a game produced by the British company Jagex created in 1998 by Andrew Gower etc and even gives extra details like the exact date of release in 2001 and the name of the two creaters (Gower brothers).

All of this without me having to click any links or having to google more than one word. :mellow:

It takes > literally < 10 seconds.

It's a system created to stop bots, and a system far better than the old CAPTCHA one that gave you a bunch of words/letters in a horrible barely legible font. I always fail that one about 5 times or have to refresh it a ridiculous amount of times because there's always one word or letter I can't recognise due to how messed up it is.

I'm sorry you had trouble with it really, you have my full sympathy. But I'm not exactly sure what can be done, these are basic questions even for newbies since the answers are ridiculously easy to find in a quick search. It's not like you're getting asked to name all of the Mahjarrat and their allegiance during Zamorak's rebellion.

The old one was far more horrible, and if you had trouble googling for one word to answer mega simple questions you would have spent a month doing the old CAPTCHA.

Edited by Micael Fatia

i support removing gielinor which newb even knows that shizzle

I still don't know the answer to the name of the green monsters in

Lumbridge. I am sure there is no newbie that knows either. I am

simply suggesting that since noobs won't know these answers

lets use logical questions instead for the registration questions

such as whats 2+2 =, whats the name of our planet, how many

months are in a year etc... Questions that everyone will know

whether noobs or pro players.

Guys, I really thank you for all your comments on this subject.

Edited by upam

Arent green monsters in lumby goblins? I guess now that new players don't start there maybe that should be changed too.

Arent green monsters in lumby goblins? I guess now that new players don't start there maybe that should be changed too.

I didn't know lol, I'm was never in lumby long enough to see a green monster.

There are better systems out there for anti-bot measurements that are much better than what is here (sal's is very brute forceable) simple up to date captcha keeps bots and scripts at bay, i have suggested this many times before but never got built on. Google is your best friends this case i guess.

There are better systems out there for anti-bot measurements that are much better than what is here (sal's is very brute forceable) simple up to date captcha keeps bots and scripts at bay, i have suggested this many times before but never got built on. Google is your best friends this case i guess.

95% sure we had these but removed them because people were complaining they were too difficult.

95% sure we had these but removed them because people were complaining they were too difficult.

Yeah i remember the one here was pretty bad but that was years back, captcha is still the most widely used anti-script defence. Simply for the fact it's very hard to brute force entry passed a captcha, the difference being captcha changes every time anything is refreshed. Where as a static question set by the board has only very few answers. (Not that brute forcing and bots is a problem here, just tellin' how it is). The technology behind captcha is always being updated and improved to make it harder on scripts.

At this time i suggest looking in to reCAPTCHA which is a google creation. I have little knowledge of it but it seems quite solid, just a quick browse revealed how incredibly easy it is to not only use as a user, but setup as an administrator.

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/index.html

Edited by iayo

I say a very simple captcha once. It gave a word and you click the picture

for the word. For instance, the word dog, you would click the picture of

a dog from the choices of other pictures.