Sal's RuneScape Forum
Shooter585

2016 USA Presidential Election

Was really shocked, especially about my home state of Pennsylvania. Even though most of it is in the rust belt, I figured Philadelphia would hold Trump off. Philadelphia and the suburbs were 70+% towards Clinton but it was just overwhelmed. It was pretty fascinating to watch this all unfold last night.

I dislike Trump, but it is by no means the end of the world. Even though the Republican Party basically controls the government, they are pretty split right now and few of Trump's bigger ideas will get anywhere. Few Republicans are actually populists. It is definitely possible that Paul Ryan, face of the establishment and currently the highest ranking Republican, will lose Speaker of the House. I think he was right not to support Trump, but now that Trump actually won it is going to be a problem. Looking forward to that battle. It probably will decide the future of the party, could shift from conservative to more populist and "main street" similar to how it was before Reagan. Democratic Party might also be in trouble, which is kind of funny because four years ago we were talking about how it was going to be the party of the future and the Republican party would struggle to compete due to demographics.

Democratic Party might also be in trouble, which is kind of funny because four years ago we were talking about how it was going to be the party of the future and the Republican party would struggle to compete due to demographics.

that indeed is the biggest failure here, they completely failed to see it coming even with Sanders catering to exactly the same feeling of discontent within their own party

all in all they deserved this loss

Edited by Egghebrecht

Watching this whole train of events unfolding from Australia has been pretty delicious.

This isn't racism. Anyone trying to play gender or racial politics should be reminded that States that voted for Obama twice, voted for Trump. Florida, Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania voted for a black man twice. May I remind them too that Trump's support amongst minorities were some of the best we've seen from the GOP in years and that he only increased the GOP white vote numbers by 1% from 2012 compared to +7% for blacks, +8% for Latinos and about 11% for Asians

There was a revolt in Democrat heart lands like Michigan and Pennsylvania, similar to the Labour Party defections we saw during the Brexit vote and the Reagan Democrats of the 1980s. Until the Left realises that they have lost touch with the needs and priorities of their working class base and the more they keep pandering to politically correct Starbucks sippers, they will keep losing elections.

I really hope people see some sense and stop bashing millions of hardworking people all across America. You can say they were lied to or they are simply wrong but to bash folks, call them bigots and racists, then treat them like uneducated hicks is simply repugnant.

I was following the election closely and the stuff angry Clinton supporters have been posting online; Nasty stuff like them not caring if another hurricane hit Florida, how old people should just die, how white men are trying to subjugate minorities or how the common Trump supporter is the moral equivalent of the KKK. Isn't it ironic how the Progressives are failing to show the same compassion and tolerance they insist on being shown to them? It's that attitude that made many people vote Trump.

I dislike Trump. I consider myself centre-right and I wish conservatives chose someone else to lead them to victory but I'm not gonna lash out at people and start yelling 'EVERY AMERICAN WHO VOTED TRUMP IS SEXIST, RACIST, BIGOTED!!' because it's just not true. Coming from a guy who stayed in the U.S with relatives several times ( some of those relatives voted Trump and GOP), I know that's not true. I instead will prefer to analyse what happened and learn from it.

The same factors that caused Brexit caused this and it will only get bigger and spread. We are seeing a turning point in the history of the West. The Left must come to terms with this. They can't fight it without knowing what caused it.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Isn't it ironic how the Progressives are failing to show the same compassion and tolerance they insist on being shown to them? It's that attitude that made many people vote Trump.

Well, this ain't helping either -.-:

they keep pandering to politically correct Starbucks sippers

Here in Europe we have some regalia left from the last similar twat some country elected, it also has a bird with something in it's claws so it will need only minor alterations. We'll send em over.

Berlusconi had very different kind of birds around him...

(very British English-centric joke, sorry)

Edited by Arianna

Here in Europe we have some regalia left from the last similar twat some country elected, it also has a bird with something in it's claws so it will need only minor alterations. We'll send em over.

Berlusconi had very different kind of birds around him...

(very British English-centric joke, sorry)

Yeah I believe the Kaiser Chiefs scored a big hit with a certain bird's name

My girlfriend's family is very liberal and they voted for Trump. They live in PA and when she told me that, I knew he would win the state. I'm not surprised in the slightest that Ohio and Michigan went red. I was expecting a higher margin in MI actually, and Ohio's margin blew my guess away by hundreds of thousands of votes.

I"m not surprised about Wisconsin either. Like Michigan, WI was heavy pro-Bernie. Once it came to light that Bernie's candidacy was rigged I knew Clinton wouldn't win WI or MI.

I'm very surprised NC went red, I didn't think that would happen. The rest of the map basically went the way I thought. I was expecting it all to come down to Florida and New Hampshire.

In the end, I was very pleased with the outcome of the election. I'm not so happy with the response, especially the people calling for his assassination and the fact that #RapeMelania was trending on Twitter for many hours today. Liberalism stinks of hypocrisy in that regard.

I like how Evan McMullin is still sitting on Twitter attacking Trump. #feelthemcmullin

Trump officially won today but there were a bunch of faithless electors. I don't remember the exact counts for Trump/Clinton but other votes were:

3 Colin Powell

1 Faith Spotted Eagle (involved in pipeline protest)

1 Ron Paul

1 Bernie Sanders

1 John Kasich

So Clinton actually lost more votes to faithless electors than Trump did.

Edited by Sobend

Just another reason not to trust the media when they start giving air time to people spouting off about "20 faithless electors in Trump territory" and the like.

In any case, I am not happy about faithless electors who harmed Clinton or Trump. I think it sets a terrible precedent if the American public starts to think they can affect the election a month and a half after voting day by influencing the electors. The elector's only job is to vote as the majority of this state wanted them to vote. That's what representation means - not undermining the integrity of the election. I understand there have been faithless electors in many other presidential elections in history, but I really hope it doesn't set a precedent for the future where electors think they can basically make their own rules that are unrepresentative of either party.

As funny or interesting some of the faithless elector choices were this year I wish none of them happened, Rep or Dem, because it cheapens our country.

I like how someone decided to go out of their way to defy the longstanding norms of our national elections

to vote for John Kasich.

Either there are lots of stupid people out there or you all need to have a serious think about why nearly half the population decided Trump should be president.

I think it's rude to assume that the people who voted for Trump are stupid. It goes back to the same thing with Brexit, people are sick of the way things are happening and they want change.

I know the taste is bittersweet and the outcome is for a lot of people very scary. Flip that the other way around, how many people would be frightened if Hilary got into power, a high amount I'd bet.

Rather than moaning about who gets in, take a stand and make a change. The power is with the people. You are divided on leadership but you have to work together. Make the best of a bad situation I think is the phrase.

Good luck with Trump.

Regards,

The un-united kingdom of great britain and ireland but scotland want independence again and half the country wants the eu but as far as everyones concerned its a no go. Still waiting for change.

Edit: Also i would like to say just as an observation of my fellow people. If labour does bad peolple want change and thus conservatives get power. The same will probably happen again.

Political stance is sometimes critical i think.

Edited by Fatalysm

Just to add something maybe interesting. I was one of the few at my undergrad who was outwardly conservative. I know the majority of students were also conservative, but the vocal ones were militant liberals. Protesting conservative speakers though they wanted freedom of speech, things of that nature. People there upon graduation, back after Trump was declared the nominee, couldn't fathom a country where he would be the leader.

I now attend grad school near Atlanta. Those in my program couldn't fathom how half the country voted Clinton and would not have been too pleased if she was voted into office. Difference is, they don't run the media and their voices are never heard.

So, I agree Fatalysm, there's a reason half the country voted Trump. And while I can't understand why the other half voted Clinton, the best thing to do now is to work together and improve the country.

Trump officially won today but there were a bunch of faithless electors. I don't remember the exact counts for Trump/Clinton but other votes were:

3 Colin Powell

1 Faith Spotted Eagle (involved in pipeline protest)

1 Ron Paul

1 Bernie Sanders

1 John Kasich

So Clinton actually lost more votes to faithless electors than Trump did.

Serves the Left right for preaching about respecting the election and democratic process during the election then begging people to defect from the will of the people whilst blaming everything on the Russians.