Sal's RuneScape Forum
Shooter585

2016 USA Presidential Election

I noticed CNN and other major news networks (of the democratic party) took down polls put up hours after the debate asking the public who they thought won. Apparently the polls were heavily in Sanders' favor (80% for most) and following that, almost every network ran Clinton as the clear winner.

Is it not interesting to anyone that Clinton was declared the winner by so many of these big media companies, given that they have supporters who also bankroll her campaign (TimeWarner and CNN for one)?

Not really. It is just politics and business. Pundits see things one way, the voters in other ways.

While both groups tend to be wrong quite frequently, they both tend to peddle their agendas in various ways. The only way to accurately poll this would be to have a genuine polling company do an extended poll on the debate itself. I stopped caring about that entire debacle shortly after viewers were outraged by pundit verdicts, but I do seem to recall reading a poll held by Gravis Marketing. Their polling numbers showed a 62% victory to Hillary Clinton, but whether or not that polling firm is reliable, is beyond me.

That said, this is hardly a shocker. In a world where everyone can have an opinion, there will be "outrages".

I think most polls that are done professionally show Clinton winning the debate by significant margins.

In this case an internet poll is not a very good approximation of a real scientific poll, I think that's why they took it down. Seems like all of Bernie Sanders' supporters are young internet users, while Clinton's supporters are spread more broadly across the spectrum. So obviously Sanders is going to run away with an internet poll. They were probably wrong to take it down, but I see why they did.

All systems of polls are wrong, and we know that by the fact that Lincoln Chafee wasn't dominating them. -.-

Webb says he might be trying to go independent. Which isn't a bad idea; he feels like a liberal republican.

Call me when Trump is out of the picture because I can't take this whole thing seriously with him on the playing field. Shame about Joe Biden deciding not to run btw. He made a damn fine speech. He's the embodiment of the American ideal of the ordinary man as legislator. I would have loved to see him in the Democratic race.

There is no hope for America. The overseas devastation will not cease. The income gap will continue to grow unfettered. The divide between party lines will never be bridged. The deficit will not be ameliorated. The children will never receive their due education. And, most importantly, the country will never switch to the metric system.

I need not tell you that I'm referring to Lincoln Chafee's deicision to drop out of the presidential race.

Our bastion of liberty, our brandisher of the olive branch, our archnemesis to the coal industry, the hero we need but not the one we deserve, Governor Lincoln Chafee was indisputably a man of high ethical standards, and with his absence that can be attributed only to our own ignorance, our country is doomed to be nothing more than one of slightly lower ethical standards.

I hope you're all happy.

Three people on the stage next debate? Exciting.

Indeed. That would be one more person than seemed to be on the stage last time!

I wish O'Malley would drop out. He was definitely the most annoying to listen to.

So the political science club at my school is planning a trip to the Republican debate here in February. It's going to be downtown at the Peace Center.

They will also be having a time to discuss “pressing issues of our time” afterward, which should be the really fun part—a bunch of conservative Christians griping about “those baby killers at Planned Parenthood” etc.

The day Biden said "I'm not running" is the day the Sanders campaign truly died. Biden being in the race, he might could have won as a more progressive voice than Hillary but not as out-there as Sanders, or he could have damaged Hillary enough for Sanders to break through…but without this Sanders' campaign is effectively over.

The Democratic primary process at this point is pretty much a monkey court.

^Agreed. Unless Hillary gets indicted or something.

Do you guys think Jeb Bush is more or less done?

Why is nobody talking about Bobby Jindal dropping out of the race!

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO???

The Trump fever isn't breaking and he's polling well in New Hampshire and Iowa. This is extremely worrying.

Democracy requires a sound and coherent opposition to be present to provide a viable alternative to the status-quo. People like Trump polarise and entrench both sides of the political spectrum and produce a political climate that prevents effective government. If Trump wins the nomination, he either plunges his party further into years of Tea Party insanity or becomes president, both of which I do not want to happen.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Anyone else think that Trump is an anthropomorphic personification of the combined internet news-site comments section (with a toupee)?

Yeah, I genuinely do. That said, Norway has a couple of politicians just like that. I think after the recent polling shock, the French can point out someone too.. :P

Yeah, I genuinely do. That said, Norway has a couple of politicians just like that. I think after the recent polling shock, the French can point out someone too.. :P

Marine le Pen is a whole lot more shrewd than Trump, she is great at avoiding too controversial and stupid points (and threw her father out of the party for that reason) and made her party salonfähig. In the EU we have to look towards ex USSR states in order to find a big time politician saying such stupid or fascist things.

Edited by Egghebrecht

I didn't expect Trump to last this long but we still have awhile to go. First primary isn't until February and a lot can happen between now and then.

I still think Marco Rubio will win the Republican primary.

I feel as though Trump has the advantage that primaries are typically determined by the most impassioned of a party's base, whereas Rubio is... not exactly breathtaking, it seems to me. I still find that Rubio has high chances, though.

Meanwhile, Ted Cruz is doing as poorly as Trump in general election polls.