Sal's RuneScape Forum
Shooter585

2016 USA Presidential Election

Cruz dropped out hopefully we can stop seeing his face now.

and finally can start building the (make) Amerca Great Wall (again)

Cruz dropped out hopefully we can stop seeing his face now.

Now there'll be more attention on John Kasich eating food.

Now there'll be more attention on John Kasich eating food.

Alright, nevermind, apparently Kasich's dropping out. Hooray for Donald Trump!

ALL HAIL DONALD TRUMP

WE SHALL OVERCOMB

gvm3am60zcex.png

Gary Johnson has a new hat

Edited by thepope1322

Been following this election pretty closely, even though I'm off voting by a bit.

I truly don't understand all of the Hillary hate. I don't agree with everything she says (I actually prefer less immigration to the U.S.), but I think she's fine. I just dislike Trump because I don't think he is a very diplomatic candidate.

I also don't mind the Hillary has been in politics for awhile. I think Obama touched on this - do you want the complete rooky leading you, or do you want the experienced person leading you? I don't think experience is unattractive.

Clinton's policies aren't hurting her nearly as much as her public image of a corrupt establishment politician. Her views generally aren't radical, I agree.

Clinton's policies aren't hurting her nearly as much as her public image of a corrupt establishment politician. Her views generally aren't radical, I agree.

Yes, everyone views her as a corrupt, establishment politician, and frequently point to Iraq, trade deals, and her speeches to Goldman Sachs.

However, she is (luckily) leading in key battleground states, which I think is nice, because I infinitely prefer her to Trump.

I dislike both candidates immensely. I dislike all the corruption I hear surrounding Hillary and the lies upon lies she dishes out. I'm very centrist, so I agree with some of her social policies and most of Trump's fiscal policies. I think the conservative platform on fiscal responsibility is almost unarguable, though the problem is always making it work as intended.

But when it comes to Hillary as a person, I just can't support a women who broke the law, lied about it, got caught lying, and has been consistently shifting her words ever since. She's denied press conferences, has been under scrutiny for voter fraud in the DNC, and a lot of really shifty things. I didn't like Obama, but at least he wasn't being indicted, or was surrounded by fear and mystery as much as Hillary is. Going to the email scandal, when there are people sitting in jail for their entire lives for accidentally leaking one email and she leaks tens of thousands without so much as a slap on the wrist I feel like there is something seriously wrong going on behind the scenes.

But to be frank I wouldn't like to see Trump as president either. He was my last conservative candidate pick. I would prefer Cruz or even Kasich. I don't know how civil Trump would be with foreign affairs, and being Republican he holds onto some strong conservative (read: religious) ideals that I don't quite agree with. I understand this is primarily to win the support of his party, but he's a bit too explosive for my liking as well.

Overall, I guess I'd prefer Johnson, but that's arguably a vote thrown away. Since I can't really vote for Johnson I'd rather be voting in someone who didn't blatantly break the law. It comes down to my personal ethics at that point.

This has not been a fun cycle (as if it ever is..)

I dislike both candidates immensely. I dislike all the corruption I hear surrounding Hillary and the lies upon lies she dishes out. I'm very centrist, so I agree with some of her social policies and most of Trump's fiscal policies. I think the conservative platform on fiscal responsibility is almost unarguable, though the problem is always making it work as intended.

But when it comes to Hillary as a person, I just can't support a women who broke the law, lied about it, got caught lying, and has been consistently shifting her words ever since. She's denied press conferences, has been under scrutiny for voter fraud in the DNC, and a lot of really shifty things. I didn't like Obama, but at least he wasn't being indicted, or was surrounded by fear and mystery as much as Hillary is. Going to the email scandal, when there are people sitting in jail for their entire lives for accidentally leaking one email and she leaks tens of thousands without so much as a slap on the wrist I feel like there is something seriously wrong going on behind the scenes.

But to be frank I wouldn't like to see Trump as president either. He was my last conservative candidate pick. I would prefer Cruz or even Kasich. I don't know how civil Trump would be with foreign affairs, and being Republican he holds onto some strong conservative (read: religious) ideals that I don't quite agree with. I understand this is primarily to win the support of his party, but he's a bit too explosive for my liking as well.

Overall, I guess I'd prefer Johnson, but that's arguably a vote thrown away. Since I can't really vote for Johnson I'd rather be voting in someone who didn't blatantly break the law. It comes down to my personal ethics at that point.

This has not been a fun cycle (as if it ever is..)

We're in similar boats. I really dislike Hillary's allegations and I really dislike Trump overall. Most of Hillary's policies I'm on board with, but my thing is, with the allegations I'm having a very difficult time trusting her. And Trump doesn't have any political experience so I can't be on board with a complete rookie running the country. I looked at the third parties too and they're all garbage. I'm just gonna vote for Vermin Supreme or Deez Nuts and be on my way.

I would prefer Clinton to Trump. Sure, she's sleazy and shouldn't be looked up to, but she probably won't screw things up too badly in four years.

I guess it's just the thought that she's lied directly to the supreme court before on charges related to prison time, what's keeping her accountable at all for what she's promising in her rhetoric?

What are Gary Johnson's chances of getting into the debates?

Good enough to test the validity for measuring popularity the Commission on Presidential Debates uses.

Well he needs 15% to get into the debates and he's at ~10%, which is great (he got 1% in 2012) but he needs to boost his support by 50%. If they decide to exclude him I don't think it would be a tragedy, and this is coming from someone who will likely vote for him (via process of elimination).

He should be in the debates but its hard for me to see that happening. The 15% threshold seems kind of high though, if you had that in the primaries you would have like 2 candidates per party, Bernie Sanders would have probably never become popular.

Yeah the 15% thing is a bit high, should be something like 10%. I think the debate organizers stated that if he gets within the margin of error they'll boost him into the debates, so he only needs 13% or so.

Honestly, if he gets in the debates he's going to be completely overlooked. It will be like the Clinton, Sanders, and O'Malley debates.

Good enough to test the validity for measuring popularity the Commission on Presidential Debates uses.

Well he needs 15% to get into the debates and he's at ~10%, which is great (he got 1% in 2012) but he needs to boost his support by 50%. If they decide to exclude him I don't think it would be a tragedy, and this is coming from someone who will likely vote for him (via process of elimination).

The standard they use to measure 15% is a bit arbitrary is what I'm saying.

The standard they use to measure 15% is a bit arbitrary is what I'm saying.

No doubt, but I think it's a fair enough number. I'd say if you're getting even 25% you're not likely to win the election so what's the point in debating. 15% to me seems more than fair.

I feel like all these debates do is pander to those in the middle, unsure of who to vote for. Unless Hillary collapses on stage, or someone comes up about the emails, die-hard democrats aren't going to care about what Trump has to say even if he makes good points. So, Hillary and Trump are both advertising to the 8-10% who are unsure, and then they are pleading the gigantic non-voter category to go out and vote.

Unless Johnson won all the non-voters, even if he swept all those who haven't made their minds up, he wouldn't win.