Sal's RuneScape Forum
Shooter585

2016 USA Presidential Election

As a former Bernie guy, voting for Gary was tantalizing until you realize that he doesn't align with your views at all and has also demonstrated two giant mess ups on mainstream media outlets in a very short amount of time. If his goal was to take votes away from Trump, knowing that he literally won't win, I get that. However, he also doesn't care if he takes votes from Hillary and gives Trump the win. Overall, he is just happy about being an alternative option. I respect that, but it's up to the American people to decide if he is worth protest voting over.

I despise the two party system and would love to protest vote. I think that most of this country is actually sickened by the two choices we have this year. Well, I live in a solid blue state so I guess I'd be alright if I threw Gary or Jill a ballot or wrote in Harambe, but they haven't won my vote (sry Harambe rip). I think it's freaking rad that Gary climbed the tallest mountain on all 7 continents tho.

I'm voting third party this year and I'm not considering it a protest vote. I know very well Gary Johnson won't win, and I also know he's not a perfect candidate, but he's the best of the four options on my states' ballot.

To quote (paraphrase?) Eugene V. Debs, "You can vote for who you don't want and get it, or you can vote for who you want and not get it."

Edited by Sobend

It appears #feelthejohnson hasn't swelled like I thought it would.

As a former Bernie guy, voting for Gary was tantalizing until you realize that he doesn't align with your views at all and has also demonstrated two giant mess ups on mainstream media outlets in a very short amount of time. If his goal was to take votes away from Trump, knowing that he literally won't win, I get that. However, he also doesn't care if he takes votes from Hillary and gives Trump the win. Overall, he is just happy about being an alternative option. I respect that, but it's up to the American people to decide if he is worth protest voting over.

I despise the two party system and would love to protest vote. I think that most of this country is actually sickened by the two choices we have this year. Well, I live in a solid blue state so I guess I'd be alright if I threw Gary or Jill a ballot or wrote in Harambe, but they haven't won my vote (sry Harambe rip). I think it's freaking rad that Gary climbed the tallest mountain on all 7 continents tho.

Oo! Oo! You can make your vote useful despite the fact that you live in a solidly blue state! https://en.wikipedia...ki/Vote_pairing

Edited by Guitarguy

It appears #feelthejohnson hasn't swelled like I thought it would.

Oo! Oo! You can make your vote useful despite the fact that you live in a solidly blue state! https://en.wikipedia...ki/Vote_pairing

I love #FeelTheJohnson.

Why choose the left nut or the right nut when you can have the Johnson? And yeah I've heard of vote sharing before and also the idea that popular vote doesn't matter for major parties, but it's absolutely everything for third party candidates. My third party vote can be useful after all!

Edited by Twist of Fate

I think Clinton has this one in the bag.

Anyone else think that debate last night was really well moderated?

I think it was the best moderated debate of this cycle, agreed.

I think Nov 8th will be neck and neck. Just read the methodology of the big polls, they are admitting they over sample houses who have previously voted Democrat in order to fit the rhetoric. There's been a lot of fudgery with the media this cycle and I've come to really distrust any news, headlines, or polls. Not saying to vote one way or the other, I despise both candidates with equal vigor, but if you think it's going to be a blow out for Hillary you're being manipulated the media. I think it will be very very close (at least with the popular vote).

As a non-US citizen and an observer of this vote, all I can say is that USA is between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Hillary is a lot more controlled than Donald, though. Still has enough flaws as a politician to warrant another choice if there's one.

Would be interesting to see how Nov 8 turns out.

Anyone else think that debate last night was really well moderated?

And very substantial too. The stuff early on about the Constitution and the Supreme Court really highlighted the differences between two candidates. Chris Wallace really did a great job moderating the debate and keeping both candidates in line. If only he was there from the beginning.

The Al Smith Dinner meanwhile was an appalling disgrace. This was already a very angry and divisive election cycle. It's like they took humour out back and killed it with the blunt end of an axe.

I think Nov 8th will be neck and neck. Just read the methodology of the big polls, they are admitting they over sample houses who have previously voted Democrat in order to fit the rhetoric. There's been a lot of fudgery with the media this cycle and I've come to really distrust any news, headlines, or polls. Not saying to vote one way or the other, I despise both candidates with equal vigor, but if you think it's going to be a blow out for Hillary you're being manipulated the media. I think it will be very very close (at least with the popular vote).

I get the whole argument of silent Trumpers (or whatever you call them) coming out of the woodwork. I think his camp is hoping for something like the UK General Election of 2015 and the Brexit where shy Tories and anti-establishment folk carried the Leave camp over the line but the polls were a lot closer then. I expect it to come down to voter turn out. Trump supporters are much more enthusiastic than Clinton's and older voters tend to be more reliable in turnout. Millennials are historically unreliable supporters. However, this is an election year and the Dems are out in force with regards to ground game. If this turns out to be closer than the polls say, I will not be surprised but all indicators so far would say a Clinton victory. Still plenty of time for things to change.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

I thought donald trump was barely tolerable until about a month ago. Now I hope he is crushed by Hillary Clinton (don't like her either) so that the Republican Party can move on and start producing more viable candidates again.

I thought donald trump was barely tolerable until about a month ago. Now I hope he is crushed by Hillary Clinton (don't like her either) so that the Republican Party can move on and start producing more viable candidates again.

Any Republican would be crushing Clinton right now. Only problem is that they got Donald Trump. <_<

Likewise, any Democratic candidate that's not Hillary Clinton would have killed off Trump ages ago.

What a rotten bunch of people the American public chose.

I know this is a presidential election topic but do you think that the presidential choices, particularly with and against Trump, will have a huge effect on down ticket voting? Considering there's about 8 previously Republican Senate seats that could go Democrat and only about 1 previously democrat seat that might go Republican. This has always been an issue but it seems to be a larger magnitude of an issue in past couple of weeks.

Definitely. People equate republican with Trump now. In my state of Pennsylvania has a senator up for reelection (Toomey) and I think the Trump thing is really hurting him even though he has distanced himself from Trump.

Definitely. People equate republican with Trump now. In my state of Pennsylvania has a senator up for reelection (Toomey) and I think the Trump thing is really hurting him even though he has distanced himself from Trump.

Yes, he really has hurt the GOP brand. Even if he does win, there's a real chance they can lose the Senate this election. The House will likely remain Republican though I won't be surprised if their majority is significantly shaved. Paul Ryan basically was saying 'It's every man for himself before the whole Hilary-FBI-Emails-Weiner clusterf*** broke. On the other hand, said clusterf*** could energise the GOP base and make them more likely to turn out to vote down ballot to stop her.

Back to the presidential race, polls are somewhat volatile at the moment and they're using varying sampling methods so it'ls hard to predict a winner. That's surprising considering how late we are in the race. Trump undoubtedly has the momentum and basically has Iowa, North Carolina, Ohio and Florida locked. Nevada will likely go Trump too based on the polling trajectory. Then he runs to the Clinton Firewall of Pennsylvania, Virginia, Michigan, Colorado and New Hampshire. Colorado and New Hampshire are the easiest for him to shave off. He just needs to pluck one of those states to win. Clinton still has the advantage but the way I see it, this race is on a knife's edge at this point.

Never seen it this close before an election. We'll see the state polls by Sunday to get the final pre-game analysis. That's probably as accurate as we can get.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Popular vote wise it's mildly close but he's got so much to overcome when it comes to electoral votes.

I hope he wins the popular and loses the electoral so we can finally get rid of the electoral college.

I hope Evan McMullin splits the electoral college by winning Utah and then becomes president by a vote in the House so that we can all appreciate the magnificence of the electoral college.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Trump might not be the president 'murica needs but he is the president 'murica deserves

congratulations

Here in Europe we have some regalia left from the last similar twat some country elected, it also has a bird with something in it's claws so it will need only minor alterations. We'll send em over.

I still can't believe Donald Trump is going to be the next president of the USA. Here's the electoral map:

rBezSF7.png

The entire "rust belt" went red. For those unaware, these are basically areas with rundown factories. Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania were all expected to go blue but went red instead. I can't believe Pennsylvania went red. For most of the night Clinton was killing in Pennsylvania, even when it appeared Donald Trump was going to win. I was like hey, it's not my fault. Then Donald Trump pulled within a few points and I said "well, my friends in the Philly suburbs will certainly hold him off." Then he overtook Clinton, at which point I thought Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) would hold him off. Nope.

Forgetting all of the stuff he's said about women, Muslims, and Mexicans, his economic policies are terrible for this country. Economists almost unanimously agree that in most situations globalism is preferable to protectionism. It's one of the first things you learn in macroeconomics 101. His other policies such as banning Muslims from entering the country or deporting 13 million illegal immigrants are too extreme to pass Congress, so we should be fine with that. On a side note, legal immigrants or people legally here on green cards saying they are scared for their future are being as irrational as Trump. Trump has never said he would deport people legally here, there is no indication Trump wants to deport legal immigrants, and there is no way that would fly with Congress or at least the Supreme Court.

To those saying this is the result of stupid/uneducated voters, honestly I think you should shut up. You sit in your college dorm room, get a starbucks coffee in the morning, and complain to your classmates about the oppression 0.1% of the population suffers (okay, a little strawman! But you get the point). You probably have no idea what the rural factory areas are living through, which is 40% of the voting bloc. While they are having their lives stay in the same place the past 30 years everyone else is too busy talking about bathrooms. They said enough is enough, let's take this country back. I don't think it will work, but I respect them for standing up against everyone else.

Two good things that came out of this election:

More states legalized marijuana

The Clinton/Bush families are probably done

To those saying this is the result of stupid/uneducated voters, honestly I think you should shut up. You sit in your college dorm room, get a starbucks coffee in the morning, and complain to your classmates about the oppression 0.1% of the population suffers (okay, a little strawman! But you get the point). You probably have no idea what the rural factory areas are living through, which is 40% of the voting bloc. While they are having their lives stay in the same place the past 30 years everyone else is too busy talking about bathrooms. They said enough is enough, let's take this country back. I don't think it will work, but I respect them for standing up against everyone else.

yeah that is indeed something they had to learn 20 years ago here in Flanders too, it's not as much not a lack of education that is the main cause, it's a vote against that all politicians in power during the voters life who have done jack shizzle for John Doe and his employment. Here, in Flanders, we have already been there and the effect is lessened. Here that 'sentiment' first resulted in the major racist anti movement not getting big enough to actually lead (biggest party but no coalition) And now, a new party with similar, but much milder racist and more pragmatic nationalist sentiment to rose up and actually grabbed power. Crisis avoided... (even tho I loathe them)

However in the Walloon region which lived under a power status quo with dwindling industry and rising poverty for years and years now sees the same kind of anti establishment movement but from an extremist communist direction.

So yeah, I completely agree with your viewpoint and see the same thing over here...

But, as my ever sarcastic colleague said: "We survived Bush junior and Reagan so we'll survive this oen too"

Edited by Egghebrecht

But, as my ever sarcastic colleague said: "We survived Bush junior and Reagan so we'll survive this oen too"

I wouldn't compare Bush or Reagan to Trump really. The biggest dangers Bush or Reagan proposed were foreign policy, while Trump's biggest potential danger is to domestic policy, both economic and social. I would argue that Clinton posed a greater foreign policy threat to the world considering she wasn't against shooting down Russian planes. Trump's idea to rekindle NATO is a bit naive but I think his conservative counterparts will persuade him to not rekindle NATO. IMO Europe should get off pretty well even if the Trump stuff blows up.