Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sobend

World Cup 2022

Following the arrest of high ranking FIFA officials by the United States DOJ and the upcoming FIFA presidential elections, what do you think will happen? Will Qatar remain the holding site for the World Cup?

I think it won't, and if it does stay in Qatar it will seriously hurt FIFA's reputation (even more). Climate aside, I don't think the human rights violations will stand up here.

I think everything hinges on what happens with Sepp Blatter. It seems that Europe is currently rallying against him, spearheaded by UEFA and Platini. Whether or not that will be enough is doubtful, but should Blatter actually resign and investigations uncover funny buisness surrounding the choice of Qatar, then this will be dragged into quite the legal quagmire. :/

I wonder if the DOJ arrested the FIFA members not to try them necessarily but to extract information on Sepp Blatter, similar to what is being done on the former top US official in FIFA, Chuck Blazer.

From what I've read most (all except one? If we don't count Blatter, I'm sure he's involved) of the members being accused are South American. Why am I not surprised?

There's also a Greek guy I think, but that's expected too. (Yes I still haven't gotten over our defeat against the Greeks in the Euro 2004 final :mad:)

Nothing against Qatar but their choice to be the hosters of the 2022 World Cup has always seemed sketchy as heck to me. Its a country with little to no football tradition, and with questionable conditions to host a world cup (most of the population probably won't have much interest in it, plus I don't think a lot of people will be able to travel there to watch the matches in comparison with the other defeated hoster candidatures).

What bothers me the most is the 2018 World Cup, in Russia. Spain/Portugal had an amazing joint candidature, though Japan's was probably somewhat better. Both were the favourite by far, but somehow Russia won nobody knows how.

I hope it doesn't happen in Qatar, when it happened people were pretty confident it was corrupt and now we it looks pretty certain. There are so many better places to host the World Cup. I'm not making a pitch for the USA but there are easily five cities/regions in this country that could host the World Cup next week.

I hope it doesn't happen in Qatar, when it happened people were pretty confident it was corrupt and now we it looks pretty certain. There are so many better places to host the World Cup. I'm not making a pitch for the USA but there are easily five cities/regions in this country that could host the World Cup next week.

If you do and I hope you do, don't hold a friggin' final at friggin' midday in friggin' Los Angeles in friggin' July, Jesus friggin' Christ

In a feud between Blatter and Platini, though, my hopes lie with a sudden Ebola outbreak.

gkhBI99.png

*slow clap*

Edited by Arianna

I'm not sure what will happen with Qatar. Guess it depends on what happens tomorrow. If Blatter wins It probably wont change.

So glad someone finally did something. Hopefully it will help fix our problems too, since our government doesn't seem to care much.

What bothers me the most is the 2018 World Cup, in Russia. Spain/Portugal had an amazing joint candidature, though Japan's was probably somewhat better. Both were the favourite by far, but somehow Russia won nobody knows how.

$

As somebody who isn't that knowledgeable I don't quite understand why UEFA hasn't just threatened to leave. A world cup without Europe would just be like the South American cup unless other continents have gotten much better. The situation is disgusting, and Qatar should never have been chosen.

As somebody who isn't that knowledgeable I don't quite understand why UEFA hasn't just threatened to leave. A world cup without Europe would just be like the South American cup unless other continents have gotten much better. The situation is disgusting, and Qatar should never have been chosen.

I think that UEFA already threatened to leave if Blatter wins/doesn't resign. Not sure if they're willing to go that far, but if they do it would certainly kill FIFA.

Assuming Blatter doesn't get accused he will most definitely win, because he does buy votes.

He has programs that use FIFA's money to subside football federations all over the world, to help them improve their football infrastructures etc and while the money he gives is nothing to most European countries it is worth about 20% of the yearly budget of some of the poorer federations. Of about 100 in the 200 and something federations with voting power, which is a lot of votes. What he does earns him votes, because the federations feel they owe him.

That's why the voting system is incredibly flawed. The vote of a country like Germany obviously cannot be bought, but it's easy to buy Bhutan's vote for example and both votes are worth the same despite the fact Germany is a lot more relevant and important in the football panorama.

From what I've read too Europe's and South America's federations (UEFA and CONMEBOL, the two most important football federation unions) amount to only about 30% of the total votes, which is nothing.

Edited by Micael Fatia

and sepp blatter resigned!

Hurray!

Never expected this, thought he'd go directly to jail. Wonder why he didn't just drop out of the elections tho.

Never expected this, thought he'd go directly to jail. Wonder why he didn't just drop out of the elections tho.

Sponsors were probably hoping he'd lose the election and when he didn't they forced him out.

Was pretty obvious he was going to win seeing as the only candidate with real chances other than him was Figo - who had the support of a bunch/most of the European countries, and a few/considerable number of the South American/African ones -, but he quit before the voting process because he considered the presidential election to be corrupt and that the winner was decided before it even began.

Michael van Praag quit for the exact same reason too.

It's going to be decided between Prince Ali Bin al-Hussein and Luís Figo now I believe, and not saying this just because the guy is Portuguese but I feel Figo is by far the best choice. al-Hussein worked too close to Blatter, I don't believe he's innocent of all that corruption, and even if he is I'm sure he knew about it yet never dennounced it.

Plus Figo is an actual ex-football player (who won the Ballon d'Or once) so he knows what the game is about, and has a lot of influence within certain important/prestigious federations and football federation unions such as UEFA.

I feel Michael van Praag can be a good or decent at the very least president too. Anybody but al-Hussein tbh, for the reasons mentioned.

The ideal would be having van Praag declare his support for Luís Figo, as it would basically unite Europe into supporting Figo.

He'd also get a considerable South American, African and Asian votes especially where the Portuguese culture has some influence and it could be enough to secure the win.

Edited by Micael Fatia

Well this has put me in a very awkward position, I must say.

My only response therefore is this amusing Polandball comic.

LmLRn5a.jpg

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Haha that was pretty funny.

Portuguese comedian Nilton (hilarious guy) has been promotion his year old FIFA/Blatter phone call because he feels it applies to this situation as well:

Toma (Take that)

Incha (Swell(s)) - As in swell out of anger, angriness etc. Like for example "Incha cabrão" (swell you bch). Basically a "u mad??"

Vai buscar (Go fetch it) - Expression used to mock defeat like "Golo! Toma! Vai buscar!". Linked to (street) football, as in "go fetch the ball" which is meant to be embarrasing.

Já foste (You're gone)

Agora engole (Now swallow)

All used in Portugal to mock/taunt/ridicule the defeated.

For some context that was after Ronaldo won the Ballon d'Or. Blatter declared he supported Messi (which is something a FIFA president should never do, declare support for one of the candidates in public) and then proceeded to attempt to mimic and mock Ronaldo while picturing Messi as being "a good boy, that every father, every mother would like to have at home".

Ronaldo still won anyway (and it would have been outrageous had he not considering how much better he was than Messi that year).

(Not a stab at Messi, not his fault Blatter is an idiot who happens to be his fan)

Edited by Micael Fatia