Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Egghebrecht

Euro Coin row

2015-Belgium-2pt5-euro-Waterloo-coin800-700x467.jpg

Name: The €2.50 coin.

Appearance: Possibly the funniest thing that Belgium has ever done.

Is Belgium a particularly funny country? Oh, the funniest. The closest thing it has to a national emblem is a statue of a little boy having a wee. Belgium is the greatest.

And this coin is somehow funnier than a weeing boy? What’s on it, a pooing monkey? Better than that: a lion on a plinth.

Ha ha… ha? It’s to commemorate the bicentennial anniversary of the battle of Waterloo, stupid.

I’m still not entirely sure where the humour lies in this. So, three months ago, Belgium proposed the introduction of a commemorative Waterloo €2 coin. But, because it represented the country’s most humiliating military defeat, France vetoed it.

But this isn’t about a €2 coin. Exactly. Instead of giving up, Belgium went away and found an obscure law stating that any country in the eurozone could issue any new coins it wanted, providing they’re in an irregular denomination. So it invented a €2.5 coin, and minted 70,000 of those to commemorate Waterloo instead.

So all this is just a hopelessly convoluted way for Belgium to stick it to France? Exactly. It’s like Scotland printing up a £7.50 note plastered with the crying faces of all its ousted Labour MPs.

That is actually kind of brilliant, isn’t it? All of Belgium is great. It went 18 months without a government once, plus it invented roller skates, pralines and saxophones. Belgium is the country all other countries aspire to be.

How has France taken this? To be fair, incredibly sanguinely. However, this year is also the 500th anniversary of the French victory at Marignano, and Italy recently was among the nations which similarly vetoed plans for a commemorative €2 coin.

Are you suggesting that France will copy Belgium and make a €2.50 coin specifically to annoy Italy? It’s not definite but, by God, I hope so.

This is fun, eh? It is. And it will be, right up until someone makes a €2.50 Bayeux tapestry coin.

Do say: “I knew money would tear Europe apart, but not like this.”

Don’t say: “Still, at least that’s Europe’s biggest problem solved.”

source: The guardian http://www.theguardi...um-wins-the-war

Edited by Egghebrecht

I read online about France telling them to not make a 2 euro coin signifying a french defeat, so they put it on a 2.50 piece instead hahahaha i hope all of Belgium has as great of humour as the guy who designed that coin hahaha

Edited by iamacupoftea

also this should totally happen

It’s like Scotland printing up a £7.50 note plastered with the crying faces of all its ousted Labour MPs.

This polandball comic came to mind. Pretty hilarious. ^_^ ^_^

6ikLeUk.png

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Coming next: Greece releases a 2557 euro coin to celebrate victory over the Persians at Marathon.

Coming next: Greece releases a 2557 euro coin to celebrate victory over the Persians at Marathon.

...and Iran declares Greece to be a part of a zionist conspiracy, being secretly governed by Jews.

Are you suggesting that France will copy Belgium and make a €2.50 coin specifically to annoy Italy? It’s not definite but, by God, I hope so.
Hahahaha that would be the greatest thing, so in turn we could make a Vittorio Veneto coin in 2018 to annoy Austria, which will in turn go and annoy Poland, and on and on and on

It would be the greatest thing ever

Then again, I don't see why Italy should be opposed to a Marignano coin - Milan was defeated but Venice won, like wtf guys

Re: polandball comic: jesus christ WHY bludgeon him with a friggin Chateau Lafite

Ha! I remember hearing about this a few days ago, simply hilarious :) I hope France takes it in good stride, they won't, but it's just a joke.

Every country is awfully protective of their national pride.

I guess one of the benefits of not being a part of the EU is that we only have Sweden to insult, although I do reserve the right to mock Italians on a case-by-case basis, for personal reasons. :cute:

Speaking of Waterloo; today's the 200th anniversary. Let us pause for a moment to acknowledge this triumph for freedom and celebrate 200 years of French humiliation. :lol:

we only have Sweden to insult

'My, my, at Waterloo Napoleon did surrender' - ABBA

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Is it really humilliating though? I mean it's not like Napoleon was a noob and didn't pwn half of Europe or something. :P

I feel the Napoleonic wars are one of the few things the French can be proud of in terms of warfare prestige even if ultimately ended with their defeat.

14 of August will be Aljubarrota day! Now that's humilliating for the Castillian-Leonese, (and the Aragonese, French and Italian seeing as they sent in troops to help Castilla-Léon) beaten by a much smaller army and a baker. 30,500 rkd by 7300.

And funnily enough the French were the only ones who lost all their troops, the entire cavalry company they sent got eradicated. :P

To be fair they charged first, but still... they were so bad almost all of them died before they even reached the Portuguese defensive line, and the ones who did didn't last long. Typical French.

tl;dr u mad Spain?!?

Edited by Micael Fatia

Speaking of Waterloo; today's the 200th anniversary. Let us pause for a moment to acknowledge this triumph for freedom
Errrrrrr...........

...well, if the Congress of Vienna was "freedom", shizzle, I'd hate to see what not-freedom is.

I mean, sure, dictator, sole emperor and all that, but were the absolute monarchies that came before AND followed any better? The Napoleonic Code is still the basis of modern Western society, having replaced most of the privileges and feudal bollocks that were in effect before.

Is it really humilliating though? I mean it's not like Napoleon was a noob and didn't pwn half of Europe or something. I feel the Napoleonic wars are one of the few things the French can be proud of in terms of warfare prestige even if ultimately ended with their defeat.
Very high relevance: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html

Lmfao that was great

The entire comic is great. :P

You are right though. Even if it ended in failiure, the Napoleonic Wars are something France should be proud of. The fact that it took most of the powers in Europe to rally against him, somewhat makes it a legendary feat.

Speaking of Waterloo; today's the 200th anniversary. Let us pause for a moment to acknowledge this triumph for freedom and celebrate 200 years of French humiliation. :lol:

frankly that freedom is more the result of Napoleon's doing than the victors really

fudge the English propaganda

the base of our law here in Belgium still is napoleontic in origin and even retains big parts still

frankly that freedom is more the result of Napoleon's doing than the victors really

fudge the English propaganda

the base of our law here in Belgium still is napoleontic in origin and even retains big parts still

Yeah, and Napoleon started the big European tradition of "hey, let's make war in Belgium, I hear the weather's nice these days" :P Edited by Arianna