Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Micael Fatia

Suggestions to improve the Sals CD

Title says it all. This place has been dead for so long now it clearly needs a couple improvements, and the opinion of experienced clanners such as yourselves would be important.

What do you feel this place needs the most ignoring obvious ones like more clans? What stickies do we need? Does the section need a rearrangement? What can we do to get more clans posting here?

Clan Headquaters sounds like something a ten year old would name his fort.

Edit: I would make the recruiting section a subforum.

Edit: Does Sals have any mods that have a genuine interest in clanning? If so they should be championing ideas. We can suggest things till were blue in the face, but it will make no difference if they are ignored.

Edited by Redshuster

section for discussion and section for fights

Section for videos. Are we even able to embed videos on Sals? I tried doing it in our topic but couldn't get it to work?

Yes, youtube embedding is possible. If you do http:// it should work. Https does not work.

Example

Had to remove the s from https for this to work.

Better organization is something we can consider, and I think renaming Clan HQ to something more obvious like "Recruiting" isn't a bad notion as well.

Edit: Does Sals have any mods that have a genuine interest in clanning? If so they should be championing ideas. We can suggest things till were blue in the face, but it will make no difference if they are ignored.

I see these suggestions and two of us clanned before. Yuanrang was with MK and I was in an early Sal's clan you probably never heard of.

Edited by Sobend

This isn't a suggestion for CD, but the entire site.

Make Deviant the default skin. Much cleaner in my opinion.

Less sections, more subforums.

If the forum remains active enough for a long enough period of time I think splitting this subforum into fights and discussion boards would be in order.

This isn't a sals rule but I disagree with the rsc rule where only one clan has topic rights, it should not be up to the mods to decide who won a fight. It's easy enough to find out on your own. Still think crashing topics should be banned though.

EOS is joining the CD so we will need a cleanup crew (mean that in a good way ) they are active posters. Not just CD activity must rise globally on the forums for this to work. We have to keep these folks interested. When they get a link in IRC to go to a topic make them also see another topic they like!

Clan Headquaters sounds like something a ten year old would name his fort.

Haha I agree, a name change would definitely be nice. Any suggestions as what to call it?

Edit: I would make the recruiting section a subforum.

Makes sense to me. I've always prefered subforums inside a main forum, helps keep things simple and clean.

We have Sobend and Yuanrang. Yuan was with Mystic Knights ages ago, and also Exercitum if I'm not mistaken. Sobend is the founder and former leader of The Ultimate PKers, you may have heard of them seeing as you are one of the Sals CD clanners of old. It's the clan PKPete was part off before he and a few members broke off to form 3xtermination.

They've been retired for a while now, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They're knowledgeable about the clan world and completely unbiased seeing as they're not affiliated to any clans nor have been for a considerable time.

Suggestions won't be ignored this time, I'll make sure of it don't worry. :P

I'm confident Sobend and Yuanrang will put in the time and effort to listen to suggestions and moderate this section, and if for some reason they're not able to we can find a solution.

They have no reason not to try seeing as it is their responsability. And if they don't they'd be basically signing the death sentence of this forum, because there is no excuse not to attempt to improve a fansite that has seen better days when given the opportunity. It'd just cause another mass exodus.

section for discussion and section for fights

Make a separate section for fights within the headquarters.

Section for fights as a subforum of the "main" discussion section perhaps?

Section for videos. Are we even able to embed videos on Sals? I tried doing it in our topic but couldn't get it to work?

We are, like Sobend said the mistake most people make is forgetting to remove the 's' in https. Wouldn't mind a (sub)section for videos, its not a bad idea.

This isn't a suggestion for CD, but the entire site.

Make Deviant the default skin. Much cleaner in my opinion.

Fully support. Deviant master race. :P

Most of the suggestions pertaining new subforums will probably only be considered when it becomes clear the change is permanent and the levels of activity stay consistent, though I have no doubt once that happens the new subforums will become a reality in no time.

Edited by Micael Fatia

As already suggested, I think sub-forums would be more appropriate and would bring more activity. The skin could definitely do with modernising as well.

I think your questions are a bit black and white:

Am I an active RuneScape player with an interest in clanning? No, I neither play RuneScape, nor pay much attention to the clan scene these days. However, when I did play, I think I played for about 3 years extra from what I would have, solely due to clans and PvP. That said, I would rather argue that while I might not have much an interest in the current clan scene, that also makes me impartial. Considering I have mediated between clans for the better part of a decade, in RuneScape or other MMOs, I think I can do the job well enough.

As for championing ideas... well, that depends on the ideas, does it not? If anyone comes forth with a logical suggestion that benefits the community and does not violate any rules, I have no problems making sure it is not ignored. In my experience though, I am more sceptical about a variety of clans ever being able to agree on somethin, than to the Staff recognising good ideas. :P

They have no reason not to try seeing as it is their responsability. And if they don't they'd be basically signing the death sentence of this forum, because there is no excuse not to attempt to improve a fansite that has seen better days when given the opportunity. It'd just cause another mass exodus.

I do not think the question is about whether or not we want to, or can, do our job, because that is why we are here for in the first place. :P

However, do remember that our job is to govern the rules. A community can help change the Rules to better fit the community, but once someone steps over the line, we are not going to be flexible in that regard. I would flip your question around: Do you think people can behave like civilized human beings for that to not become an issue this time around? :cute:

However, do remember that our job is to govern the rules. A community can help change the Rules to better fit the community, but once someone steps over the line, we are not going to be flexible in that regard. I would flip your question around: Do you think people can behave like civilized human beings for that to not become an issue this time around? :cute:

Well in regards to that if you want my honest opinion I feel the last time the rules were too strict and the punishments too unfair and severe. I feel the whole situation was handled with lack of tact and common sense from both parts, and while I somewhat expected it from a large part of the community it disappointed me to see the moderators were guilty of it almost/just as much.

I suppose there is no point in going into details about that part in a public topic about something that happened long ago so I won't expand, and I'm fully aware a lot of the rule enforcing that took place was fair and justified - hell that community we had as much as I loved it could be awful at times, I have no problems admitting it.

Am I an active RuneScape player with an interest in clanning? No, I neither play RuneScape, nor pay much attention to the clan scene these days. However, when I did play, I think I played for about 3 years extra from what I would have, solely due to clans and PvP. That said, I would rather argue that while I might not have much an interest in the current clan scene, that also makes me impartial. Considering I have mediated between clans for the better part of a decade, in RuneScape or other MMOs, I think I can do the job well enough.

As for championing ideas... well, that depends on the ideas, does it not? If anyone comes forth with a logical suggestion that benefits the community and does not violate any rules, I have no problems making sure it is not ignored. In my experience though, I am more sceptical about a variety of clans ever being able to agree on somethin, than to the Staff recognising good ideas. :P

Knowing, and enforcing rules is an important job of any moderator. Clanning is different than the achievement section. I don't mean that as a jab, its just the truth. I'm all for moderators being impartial.

As for championing ideas, what I was trying to ask was, why has nothing been done until now? Dead section or not, I haven't seen any otherworldly ideas thrown out to improve this forum that couldn't have been implemented until now. That kind of leads me back to my initial point, is it a goal of the staff on Sals to see the clan section succeed?

Edited by Redshuster

Knowing, and enforcing rules is an important job of any moderator. Clanning is different than the achievement section. I don't mean that as a jab, its just the truth. I'm all for moderators being impartial.

As for championing ideas, what I was trying to ask was, why has nothing been done until now? Dead section or not, I haven't seen any otherworldly ideas thrown out to improve this forum that couldn't have been implemented until now. That kind of leads me back to my initial point, is it a goal of the staff on Sals to see the clan section succeed?

I'm not Sal's staff so I can't speak for them, but I'd imagine that nothing had been done as of yet because clans only came here to advertise and did everything else on RSC. You can't really revive a dead subforum if nobody wants to be there :P

Ancient history, pretty much.

How long is it since the move to RSC made it the dominant Clan fansite around for clanning? Was it 2004 or 2005? RSC (or Zybez if you would like) has been the dominant fansite for it, and no one can really deny that. We had a community growing here in the past which got fairly active, but disagreements broke out and people moved on to RSC.

The time after has primarily been a period of strictly self-promotion and advertisement. It is hard to discuss and debate the workings of the Clan Scene, when people generally are not around to keep the debates going. This lead to downsizing of subforums as it was to its current state, with removed stickied threads due to a lack of relevance. What you see now is the retired state of what once was, and not what is.

As I said, it is easy enough to champion good ideas that fit the community if a you want to split roots from Zybez and settle down, but ultimately, unless you all post and contribute to the community, nothing will happen. If you do want to do that, however, it is fairly easy to fascilitate things. Question is... do you (all) want to do that? :P

Basically if activity warrants more subforums then more subforums will be created. If activity maintains the level it has been the past two days, we'll probably create subforums or something of the sort. If it quickly wanes to a dead state again we're not going to split up the dead community.

Increase the video limit, clans like to post more than just 1 vid per topic usually.

This would actually be pretty useful. We usually have more then one video per event and it would be easier to post all within one topic/post.

Brought this further up the administration ladder, so keep on coming up with good suggestions, and the Staff will see what we can/want to do. :P

Sounds good to me. :)

Can we get a topic pinned for a top 10 list? Think it would bring some additional activity. While this forum is getting a bit more active, you can only post GF so many times on peoples victory topics.

Edited by Redshuster

You just need someone willing to keep the topic updated and useful.

I don't mean an actual official list (though a ranking for matched fights might be possible).

Just a thread that people can post their own rankings based off activity, recent matches, ect.

Has anyone thought of some more things we can fix? We can look into changing the name/organization if you guys come up with a few suggestions.

In regards to the arragement of the forums the consensus seems to be something like this:

- Clan Events

Clan Discussion - - Clan Central

- Clan Videos

Clan discussion would serve as the main forum with the other three being subforums.

Of course the sections can be renamed to whatever the clanners of this section prefer, probably best to wait to see what everybody else thinks.

The question is whether we have enough activity to warrant the changes, the section appears to have slowed down a little after the initial increase in activity. But then again I don't think the changes would hurt. We'd be basically deleting the Clan HQ board that is locked currently and replacing it with Clan (Events &) Discussion, and make the Events part a subforum.

Clan Central would have the same use, the only difference being that it'd become a subforum of Clan Discussion.

And then there's the videos, which would be the only entirely new (sub)section . We can probably leave this one out for the time being until the section gains enough activity for it to have an use (if it ever happens).