Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Skiller

Will We Survive?

Throwing this topic out to see if it gets any conversation going.

Do you think the human species will reach a conclusion? I recall as a child hearing how the sun will go supernova or whatever in thousands of years so if humans are still around by then (somehow) then we would totally be wiped out. However, at the rate we are going I understand there is great question as to how many more millenniums we will last.

So, do you see an end? Do you see Mankind dying off, or do you see us (as a species) evolving to the point where our mortality is still very real but no longer a threat on our continued existence? Science has made great leaps in allowing our species to thrive over the time we have been alive, but there is undoubtedly so much more to uncover. Could the unknown hold secrets to surviving forever?

Personally, I don't know what to think. I'd like to say that we will find a way, but that's the optimistic me. The realistic me thinks that we're a pretty bad species in terms of how we treat our planet and how we act and that we'll die away in the next couple thousands years, if not sooner.

What about you all?

the sun will go supernova or whatever in thousands of years

I know that this was probably hyperbolic, but bear in mind that a supernova will happen in much longer than the "thousands" scale of years. -.-

I believe that the sorts of advances or events that may occur in the far distant future, such as a supernova or such as above and what could be accomplished to combat that matter, are beyond our current comprehension. As for the coming hundred or so years, however, I believe that we will survive at the cost of many people taking too long to realize that the planet is getting a little screwy.

obligatory_gloria_gaynor.mp3

We will probably survive, but the costs to the planet's ecology are going to be huge.

Everything ends eventually. I don't think how we treat our planet will have anything to do with our extinction, maybe a mass nuclear war, but even then there would probably be a few survivors.

Humanity would look and be different in a million years time. It won't be our current species facing the death of the Sun or the challenges of the next million years but something completely different thanks to evolution and genetic/bio-mechanical engineering. So far, we've successfully adapted to the challenges we've faced throughout our history and barring a sudden unexpected calamity like a rouge black holes or an asteroid the size of Texas, I'm sure we'll keep of surviving for millions of years to come. Whether we thrive is a completely different matter.

I'm personally banking on the whole Book of Revelations thing with bright heavenly lights and angel robes but yeah...

I don't think we should be worried about the sun turning into a red giant several billion years from now. At the pace we're going, we'll be able to escape it by moving Earth out of harm's way or by using a space ship to escape (we'd probably have colonized other planets at that point). So if we're still alive it wouldn't be an issue.

Currently the biggest threats in my opinion are nuclear war (which would most likely be accidental) or bioterrorism. Even still, those may not completely destroy humanity. There will probably be some reason why humanity ends eventually, but I'm guessing we won't see it coming until it happens. Aliens? AI? But I do think humanity will end, although I don't think it'll be in my lifetime.

If humanity is ever in doubt, I'm sure a convenient wormhole will open up close by that will let us travel to habitable worlds :)

It's hard to say though. I think the world has become too globalised and interconnected for us to kill each other. I doubt we'll kill Earth enough to kill us. No point worrying about something crashing into us as the chances are incredibly slim. So I guess that leaves aliens, and again, the chance of someone else finding us is incredibly slim.

We will end, as will any species. Extinction is as much part of life as evolution, yet it is a gradual process. This, however, doesn't mean life itself (as we categorize it) will end. There will always be living lifeforms somewhere in this universe, so I doubt there'll be an enormous event putting a period behind it all.

Eventually, for one reason or another, the earth will become uninhabitable for us. This is inevitable, but we can probably travel somewhere else by then (or just go extinct).

We will end, as will any species. Extinction is as much part of life as evolution, yet it is a gradual process. This, however, doesn't mean life itself (as we categorize it) will end. There will always be living lifeforms somewhere in this universe, so I doubt there'll be an enormous event putting a period behind it all.

Eventually, for one reason or another, the earth will become uninhabitable for us. This is inevitable, but we can probably travel somewhere else by then (or just go extinct).

What makes you say this though?

What makes you say this though?

A mix of personal viewpoints and fact. I don't see us evolving to a mythical sort of übermensch, nor do I believe we're super-mammals. Those are my personal two cents. There are more species that have gone extinct in the time period from the big bang than there are species alive on our planet right now. If I view mankind as a species, and leave out religion in its entirety, I can only conclude that we too must end.

Species, though, split off and adapt. There's the famous example of Darwin's finches, which eventually through adaptation after splitting became unable to reproduce with their original counterparts. I think that the globalization of mankind prevents this scenario from happening in case of a doomsday scenario. Either the world around us changes so drastically that we're genealogically unable to adapt, or we're simply to few and far-between to reproduce any sort of offspring.

I also think that, if we'd wish to survive, we'd need a sustainable escape from the disaster. Hopping into space and simply searching for another habitable sphere isn't sustainable, as the same difficulties would be faced. Also, disease. Lots of disease.

In the end it comes down to beliefs, though.

"People" and "homo sapiens" are not synonymous though. We could evolve into a new subspecies and homo sapiens could go extinct, does that mean there are no more people?

"People" and "homo sapiens" are not synonymous though. We could evolve into a new subspecies and homo sapiens could go extinct, does that mean there are no more people?

Depends. Are "people" a general term the way various species of monkeys or apes are referred to (as "monkeys" or "apes")? If so, then no. If not, and "people" are how we see our specific species, then yes.

If we evolve into a subspecies and are no longer homo sapiens, then I would say it would be up to that new species to determine how they refer to themselves.

I know we're probably the only species that has pondered this question, and that is pretty remarkable.

On current trends I'm more inclined to believe we will see the world blown up/rest of the globe made uninhabitable in the process or make Idiocracy a reality in both the sense of the film & health.

lol @ idiocracy

I'm sorry, if you took that movie as anything other than a comedy then I have nothing to say.

Death is inevitable. As much as we've discovered in the ways of science, I don't think we will discover something that makes an individual live a much longer life / become almost immortal. With that, I don't believe we will discover something that will protect our species/species after us.

I'd like to open another question to the floor, sort of stemmed from Phoenix Rider talking about humans/animals overcoming challenges/evolving,

What exactly is there for us to evolve into? As far as obstacles in our species goes, we use technology to overcome it, right? Do you believe we will evolve into something greater? Maybe not physically but psychologically?

I'd like to know what y'all think.

Death is inevitable. As much as we've discovered in the ways of science, I don't think we will discover something that makes an individual live a much longer life / become almost immortal. With that, I don't believe we will discover something that will protect our species/species after us.

I'd like to open another question to the floor, sort of stemmed from Phoenix Rider talking about humans/animals overcoming challenges/evolving,

What exactly is there for us to evolve into? As far as obstacles in our species goes, we use technology to overcome it, right? Do you believe we will evolve into something greater? Maybe not physically but psychologically?

I think the ability to invent increasingly advanced technological innovation is an evolutionary benefit that is constantly improving.

I think the ability to invent increasingly advanced technological innovation is an evolutionary benefit that is constantly improving.

Yeah I definitely look at it that way too, but it would be interesting to have a scope of many many years in the future and see if there were any physical changes.

A great booming voice in the sky will say "thank you for your interest; we will review submissions and select a winner in the coming days" before we all drop dead.

Edited by Adam?

Yeah bro I think Sal's will survive.