Sal's RuneScape Forum

No announcement of this, but today Jagex made afking impossible-you need to interact with the client once every couple of minutes or else combat will cease. This wasn't polled or expected, so I'm a little shocked. I'm not a fan of afking but I'm still confused lol. Whatcha guys think?

How many months/years late?

Edited by Sobend

What is the time of clicking? I remember AFKing Hellhounds for 99 HP but was checking once every 90 seconds-ish.

We're talking about afking for 1 hour+

What is the time of clicking? I remember AFKing Hellhounds for 99 HP but was checking once every 90 seconds-ish.

Same on both games, 5 minute idle timer.

Oh, that's perfectly fair. I don't really see how that's going to affect anything though?

Oh, that's perfectly fair. I don't really see how that's going to affect anything though?

It nerfs 6 hour methods such as splashing and NMZ Guthans.

Ah I remember splashing, I'm surprised it took them so long to fix such an obvious abuse of mechanics..

Ah I remember splashing, I'm surprised it took them so long to fix such an obvious abuse of mechanics..

Some people were attached to it I guess. Jagex was afraid to make a move even though it was an integrity issue. To fit in with the Old School Runescape doctrine, the polled it to see if players wanted it removed, even though they said they wouldn't poll integrity issues back at the start of 07. Unsurprisingly enough, when you ask players if they want to cheat, they'll say, "Of course!" and so it happened that NMZ Guthans and splashing stayed in the game for another 11 months without a fix.

And then today happened.

It's good to see it gone but Jagex (particularly Mat K) has no balls.

I agree with any measures taken to reduce AFKing for the simple fact that I think videogames should be played for enjoyment. Additionally, if you're AFKing to that extent for competitive reasons I don't see how you get any satisfaction from that.

Now I don't play OSRS but from what I've read on reddit/sals/wherever is that the entire Old School team seems like they have no idea wtf they are doing and are pretty incompetent.

Finally something happend about this stuff. I was not fond of this training method and it started to get out of control. It's better for the game in the long term.

Now I don't play OSRS but from what I've read on reddit/sals/wherever is that the entire Old School team seems like they have no idea wtf they are doing and are pretty incompetent.

It's mainly Mod Mat K (the head of OSRS). Other Jagex moderators have stated that they'd like to see it removed from the game. Mat K has been saying that they need to look more into it for the past two years or however long. They decided to fracture game integrity because they were concerned that the players who are using the AFK methods to get combat 99s at minimal effort would quit. With that logic we might as well allow botting.

It's mainly Mod Mat K (the head of OSRS). Other Jagex moderators have stated that they'd like to see it removed from the game. Mat K has been saying that they need to look more into it for the past two years or however long. They decided to fracture game integrity because they were concerned that the players who are using the AFK methods to get combat 99s at minimal effort would quit. With that logic we might as well allow botting.

Mat K said he figured roughly 2k players would quit. That's actually a bit steep when you figure that's over 200k in yearly membership. I think it does allow the game to grow more over time though and as such, will generate more revenue.

2k players won't quit. In fact, nobody will quit. I don't think people will quit over splashing and people won't quit over NMZ because they're already going to be fairly high stats anyway and will be able to do things like barrows, DKs, etc.

The only way this could affect the playerbase is that it may discourage new players from playing now that you have to work to get high stats again.

Mat K said he figured roughly 2k players would quit. That's actually a bit steep when you figure that's over 200k in yearly membership. I think it does allow the game to grow more over time though and as such, will generate more revenue.

That's a dumb excuse. Imagine how much money Jagex made from bots back in the day, yet they still destroyed a large portion of the botting player base and continue to actively fight it. Compromising game integrity for money is about as scummy as it gets (inb4 rs3 spin to win lolololol)

Yeah I don't like how they waited this long, removing it now isn't fair to future players who can't exploit the game mechanic like everyone else (ok, not everyone, but you get the idea).

Yeah I don't like how they waited this long, removing it now isn't fair to future players who can't exploit the game mechanic like everyone else (ok, not everyone, but you get the idea).

Agreed, there's a few people with 90m+ all melee because of this. Though I'd rather it be out of the game now than linger around for more months/years to come.