Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sobend

PENNIES

In the United States we still have 1 cent currency, which in today's age is fairly useless. My desk is scattered with pennies that I'll never use. I dislike paying with pennies because that seems a bit annoying ("here loser cashier, count these 43 pennies!")

Am I the only one with this problem? Does anyone have anything specific on what they use pennies for?

Canada phased out pennies a few years ago and in hindsight it was a really good decision. I went to Florida over the summer and it was really annoying having to count out the exact change instead of just rounding it to the nearest .05 or .10.

Pennies are useful for penny wars and trapping people in their dorm rooms but apart from that, not much point. Idk if they should be phased out though. It would be nice if we just say $100=$10 and $0.10=$0.01 so we could make pennies actually worth it again but that might not be practical.

All speculation I've read points toward the removal of pennies being economically beneficial. Of course, on the scale of the federal government, it would be only very slightly economically beneficial, so I suppose nobody cares enough to do anything about it.

I'm sure this is an issue that future president Lincoln Chafee would take up to couple with his anticipated conversion to the metric system. -.-

Edited by Guitarguy

I'm amazed you guys still have pennies. New Zealand even phased out their five cent coins a while back, now the lowest denominator is ten cent coins.

the same discussion exists in the EU

but it's becoming more and more irrelevant because payment with cash is in a big decline

I pretty much only pay cash anymore for drinks in a bar and my sandwich at noon

Edited by Egghebrecht

No I agree. I feel like pennies are becoming more and more useless. The only thing really is to make exact change, which no one does that either. lol

but it's becoming more and more irrelevant because payment with cash is in a big decline

Imma be honest, I don't remember the last time I saw a 1 or 2 cent coin given as change. Granted, I almost always pay by card but I'm pretty sure no major stores use denominations that small. Wikipedia says that apparently this is normal in the Netherlands.

Imma be honest, I don't remember the last time I saw a 1 or 2 cent coin given as change. Granted, I almost always pay by card but I'm pretty sure no major stores use denominations that small. Wikipedia says that apparently this is normal in the Netherlands.

I have a few in my walletstill but no idea where they came from or how long they have been in there

I've used pennies maybe twice in the past 5 years. Both times as random change in those electronic money things that gives you cash for your change. I wish they would just phase them out because I can't remember anyone using pennies to pay for things.

I don't like the idea of retiring the penny. Ass nickels doesn't have the same ring to it.

I don't like the idea of retiring the penny. Ass nickels doesn't have the same ring to it.

It also suggests that your bottom is somehow plated in a toxic-ish metal, which sounds horrible

I have a jar at home where all the copper-plated coins go, and when it's full it gets brought to a bank (they have an automatic coin counter, so no undue strain on the working class) and deposited

I have a jar at home where all the copper-plated coins go, and when it's full it gets brought to a bank (they have an automatic coin counter, so no undue strain on the working class) and deposited

I had a big sack of those too but I used them all up in a wedding present (in order to create undue strain on the wedding class :P)

Pennies cost more to produce than they are actually worth (1.4 cents) so I'm all in favor of getting rid of them and rounding to the nearest 5. I'm doubtful it will actually happen anytime soon, there's some law or stipulation against defacing a president's image.

Pennies cost more to produce than they are actually worth (1.4 cents) so I'm all in favor of getting rid of them and rounding to the nearest 5. I'm doubtful it will actually happen anytime soon, there's some law or stipulation against defacing a president's image.

Well at least we already have another Lincoln on the $5, but I guess if we must we can slap him on the new iteration of the $10 with all the rest. :P

I actively protest the penny as it were by telling cashiers and such that I don't want them. I don't see the point in taking them, I feel like it's theft from the public as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe that's a bit dramatic, but I just don't see the reason for their existence, quite frankly.

I always hated when we had our 1 Escudos coins, most useless coins ever. I can totally understand why ya'll feel you should get rid of them.

I always hated when we had our 1 Escudos coins, most useless coins ever. I can totally understand why ya'll feel you should get rid of them.

You had coins worth even less than 1 eurocent? O_o

(our lowest denomination in 2002 was the 50 Lire coin, more or less 2,6 eurocents)

Fun fact: the Italian 50 Lire depicted a naked man hammering something on an anvil; his pose suggested he was hammering away at his own hammering implement, perfectly representing Italy's situation and/or national behaviour

Edited by Arianna

You had coins worth even less than 1 eurocent? O_o

To be fair, the eurocent is worthless because of the "euro" part rather than the "cent"

Saw a video of some guy who payed some tow truck company (iirc) in all pennies. The cashier refused to count it and the guy ended up calling the cops and they told her that she had to accept the money. Pennies are pretty irrelevant to me except that one time of year I hit a coinstar.

15 years ago I remember I could buy a lolly with 5c, now I got to buy a whole bulk bag for $2 (the per unit price now is actually cheaper than 15 years ago) but I only want one lolly :(