Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Big Black Spook

Star Wars Episode VII

I've never seen any of the originals straight through and I was never gripped by the story. Should I see this?

I've never seen any of the originals straight through and I was never gripped by the story. Should I see this?

It's a modernized JJ Abrams version of the original film essentially. There's a few callbacks but not necessary to understand the plot really. If you enjoy the usual blockbuster action flick you'll like it.

The reviews are good. 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. Praised for lack of CGI. Apparently humorous. Maybe I'll see it over my Christmas break.

Anyway, it's weird to have Star Wars back. When my parents were my age they had the originals and now I have the sequels with much of the same cast.

I think i'm gonna be watching all the old ones just to get hype, and then go see the new one sometime this week.

I heard you don't need any knowledge really to follow along so hopefully it's just a cool action movie.

It was A New Hope all over again

It was well executed. I don't care it it was A New Hope with a new skin it was great.

It was indeed A New Hope all over again, but done poorly. One of the biggest scenes in the movie has the longest buildup I've ever seen to an entirely predictable death, which almost entirely mimics the death of Obi-Wan in A New Hope. The final scene didn't have to be three goddamn minutes of a camera spinning around, yet again building into something we all knew we would see. The movie also shows a complete lack of understanding of what the Force actually is and how it works. Ironically, Han Solo's line "That's not how the Force works" is probably the best summary of the entire movie. I genuinely don't understand how someone can be a Star Wars fan -and- like this new movie. It was a complete waste of time and a huge disappointment. The worst part is probably that at no point during the movie did I get a feeling of "YEAH, STAR WAAAARS!!!". As bad as Episode 1-3 were, they still -felt- like Star Wars. The Force Awakens just felt like your standard blockbuster nonsense.

The Force Awakens wasn't perfect, but during that

final duel, when Rey starts wailing on Kylo Ren,

I couldn't help but tear up and think to myself, “you're not perfect, but welcome back, Star Wars.”

I really missed having some passion and some desire coming through in those duels. The prequels didn't have any of it.

Edited by William Howard Taft

As bad as Episode 1-3 were, they still -felt- like Star Wars.
That's probably even worse, I mean, it's one thing when a total stranger punches you in the nuts, but when someone close to you punches you in the nuts it hurts twice as much. :P

Also, hello Ylon, long time no see. :)

I've heard amazing reviews by many friends, so I spent my holiday binge-watching the first 6 episodes (only one of which I had seen before)... I'm sufficiently hyped. If it lives up to what I've seen so far, I'll be very pleased.

Man I was going to see this Sunday but my plans fell through, so I planned on watching it maybe this weekend. Anyway earlier today I was in a public place eating with some friends when a chick in the table next to me went on some massive nerdgasm and pretty much shouted every notable event that happened in the movie right in my ear. I couldn't get up and move because I was with my friends so I had to listen to her give away the movie. I was seriously considering yelling "SHUT UP nice doggy! I HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE YET" but by the time I worked up the courage to do it I already knew everything from Luke Skywalker's role to Han Solo's favorite crayon.

Damn man sometimes you can't get a break.

I felt like the movie took way too many shortcuts with the characters, primarily with the supposed bonds they formed with each other. So little time passes in the story and hardly any interaction happens outside of the onslaught of action sequences that it was hard to believe any of the characters grew attached to one another. Finn and X Wing pilot man being reunited played as if they had just gone through an entire trilogy's worth of hardships. Finn screaming about Rey being taken came out of nowhere. You need to earn these moments to have them feel real, and I think the movie seriously glossed over developing anyone who wasn't Kylo Ren.

It was a successfully and engrossing launch of the Expanded Cinematic Star Wars Universe that audiences can look forward to enjoying for the next few centuries, or as we like to say on Tatooine, Space Centuries. :]]]

Edited by Adam?