Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guitarguy

Antonin Scalia dies at 79

EL PASO -- An El Paso source close to Justice Antonin Scalia tells ABC-7 that the 79-year-old died in his sleep last night after a day of quail hunting at Cibolo Creek Ranch outside of Marfa, Texas.

The Justice did not report feeling ill and retired to his room after dinner. The source, who was traveling with Scalia, told ABC-7 an El Paso priest has been called to Marfa.

Scalia was the longest-serving current Justice on the Supreme Court. He was appointed by President Ronald Reagan in 1986.

Diocese of El Paso's Spokeswoman Liz O'Hara tells ABC-7 Catholic Priest Mike Alcuino, in Presidio, was called to the ranch and administered Justice Scalia's last rights Saturday afternoon.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott released the following statement:

"Justice Antonin Scalia was a man of God, a patriot, and an unwavering defender of the written Constitution and the Rule of Law. He was the solid rock who turned away so many attempts to depart from and distort the Constitution. His fierce loyalty to the Constitution set an unmatched example, not just for judges and lawyers, but for all Americans. We mourn his passing, and we pray that his successor on the Supreme Court will take his place as a champion for the written Constitution and the Rule of Law. Cecilia and I extend our deepest condolences to his family, and we will keep them in our thoughts and prayers."

Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. issued the following statement:

"On behalf of the Court and retired Justices, I am saddened to report that our colleague Justice Antonin Scalia has passed away. He was an extraordinary individual and jurist, admired and treasured by his colleagues. His passing is a great loss to the Court and the country he so loyally served. We extend our deepest condolences to his wife Maureen and his family."

Scalia and his wife had nine children.

The issue of his replacement is virtually certain to a major political story during a presidential election year. ABC-7 managing editor Eric Huseby said, "Republican senators will be under enormous pressure from their donors and electoral base to refuse to confirm an appointment from President Obama that would tip the balance of the Court to a 5-4 majority of Democratic appointees. And the President will surely do all he can to make that choice as politically unpalatable and costly as possible."

http://www.kvia.com/news/breaking-surpreme-court-justice-scalia-dies-during-hunting-trip-in-marfa/37981652

Condolences to his family but it's hard to think of this without thinking about the political considerations. Looks like democrats will control the Supreme Court for at least short term.

Upheld Postal 2 as example of free speech, and also wrote that gay marriage will lead to horse-shagging. Alas, poor Yorick.

I don't think Obama will be able to pass a new SC Judge in the remainder of his tenure considering the implications of this. Scalia was not perfect but being a strict constitutionalist myself I don't think anybody Obama will pick will be better than him, so I'm a bit sad.

Anyway, I think the people who have it the most rough are Scalia's family. Not only has Scalia just died, but every liberal in America is at least somewhat pleased to hear the news and some are openly saying how glad they are that Scalia is dead.

Condolences to his family but it's hard to think of this without thinking about the political considerations. Looks like democrats will control the Supreme Court for at least short term.

Are you crazy? The republicans will do everything they can to stall this for as long as they can. If a Republican takes office after President Obama, then it will be Republican-favoured. :P

Honestly I feel like if Obama gets it in it won't make too much of a difference. Ginsburg is going to retire soon anyway; if a Republican is the next president he'll replace her with a conservative and it will be 5-4 again.

Are you crazy? The republicans will do everything they can to stall this for as long as they can. If a Republican takes office after President Obama, then it will be Republican-favoured. :P

If a Republican takes office after Obama, the SCOTUS will stay the same as Kennedy tends to be the swing vote

If a Republican takes office after Obama, the SCOTUS will stay the same as Kennedy tends to be the swing vote

Then again, this could be a powerful weapon in the hands of the Democrats; gambling on the hardliner stance of most Republicans could be relatively easy, especially given these days' frontrunners, to paint them in an unfavourable light ("see? They're stalling for their own party's interests, they do not care about AMERICA" *bald eagle takes flight*). Of course, they could overdo it and it could backfire spectacularly. :P

Well what I mean is, Republicans can only lose here or return to the status quo.

Whether or not you agree with his views and rulings, he seemed to be a sincere and good man who was trying to do the right thing. Stephen Colbert even complimented him for being one of the only people to laugh during Stephen's White House Correspondent's speech. He even laughed when Colbert poked fun at him and his mannerisms. I respect individuals with a healthy sense of humour like that.

Scalia's death actually prompted me to vote in the primaries. I wasn't going to, but there is now a need for a pro-gun justice on the court as the count is, as far as I know, 4-4.

I don't think Obama will be able to pass a new SC Judge in the remainder of his tenure considering the implications of this. Scalia was not perfect but being a strict constitutionalist myself I don't think anybody Obama will pick will be better than him, so I'm a bit sad.

Anyway, I think the people who have it the most rough are Scalia's family. Not only has Scalia just died, but every liberal in America is at least somewhat pleased to hear the news and some are openly saying how glad they are that Scalia is dead.

What does that mean? If the Constitution is the law being interpreted by the Justices, aren't they all using the Constitution?

What does that mean? If the Constitution is the law being interpreted by the Justices, aren't they all using the Constitution?

Right but like any other text you can interpret something strictly or loosely. A loose constitutionalist would be more likely to say "The constitution doesn't explicitly states this but hints this, hence this is constitutional" whereas a strict constitutionalist would be more like to say "The constitution doesn't explicitly state this, hence this is unconstitutional."