Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

US Sports - Uniform sponsorships

Today the NBA announced that in game uniforms would start displaying advertising in two seasons. It's something I think we all felt was coming, but I'm mad it's here.

Undoubtedly other leagues will begin to follow suit. Probably the NFL next, then maybe the NHL. I think baseball will be able to hold for awhile with all of the traditionalists in the game but I too expect them to accept uniform ads.

What do you think of them? Are you more optimistic than me?

Definitely not a fan, I have hope the other sports will be able to hold out but not much. Teams can refuse to put the sponsorships on their jerseys, so maybe some of those will hold out too. It doesn't make that much sense to me because 1) they are so ugly and 2) they might negatively impact jersey sales. I'm not going to buy a jersey so I can be a walking advertisement for American Airlines or something.

Definitely not a fan, I have hope the other sports will be able to hold out but not much. Teams can refuse to put the sponsorships on their jerseys, so maybe some of those will hold out too. It doesn't make that much sense to me because 1) they are so ugly and 2) they might negatively impact jersey sales. I'm not going to buy a jersey so I can be a walking advertisement for American Airlines or something.

I think they're aware of this. They said you can continue to buy jerseys without ads after the uniform ads take place.

I think they're aware of this. They said you can continue to buy jerseys without ads after the uniform ads take place.

I would like that.

The problem with advertisements on international soccer jerseys is exactly what Shooter said - if I wanted to buy a Rooney jersey I would then be sporting a huge Chevy logo on my front. I just want the Manchester badge and his name on the back.. I don't want to attention grabbing part of the shirt to say the name of a car company I don't have any strong feelings for.

I would hope the badges never get to be the size they are in Europe. Maybe a small tag wouldn't be too bad, but in general I don't agree with this decision.

I think advertisements on soccer uniforms is acceptable considering that there are no commercials during play. In the NBA though they have set up timeouts to show commercials.

there are no commercials during play
Commercial TV stations sneak them in wherever and whenever they can, even between a shot gone wide and the keeper's goal kick.

there are no commercials during play
Commercial TV stations sneak them in wherever and whenever they can, even between a shot gone wide and the keeper's goal kick.

Oh I'm only familiar with international play. I guess it's different for other things.