Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thepope1322

Wikileaks editing out material that embarrasses Russia

http://www.dailydot.com/layer8/wikileaks-syria-files-syria-russia-bank-2-billion/

A trove of hacked emails published by WikiLeaks in 2012 excludes records of a €2 billion transaction between the Syrian regime and a government-owned Russian bank, according to leaked U.S. court documents obtained by the Daily Dot.

WikiLeaks has become an ever-prominent force in the 2016 presidential election through its publishing of tens of thousands of emails, voicemails, and documents stolen from the Democratic National Committee by hackers that U.S. authorities and cybersecurity experts believe are linked to the Russian government. The transparency organization, which boasts of a commitment to use “cryptography to protect human rights” against repressive regimes, has faced criticism from supporters of Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and praise from Republican opponent Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The court records, placed under seal by a Manhattan federal court and obtained by the Daily Dot through an anonymous source, show in detail how a group of hacktivists breached the Syrian government’s networks on the eve of the country’s civil war and extracted emails about major bank transactions the Syrian regime was hurriedly making amid a host of economic sanctions. In the spring of 2012, most of the emails found their way into a WikiLeaks database.

But one set of emails in particular didn’t make it into the cache of documents published by WikiLeaks in July 2012 as “The Syria Files,” despite the fact that the hackers themselves were ecstatic at their discovery. The correspondence, which WikiLeaks has denied withholding, describes “more than” €2 billion ($2.4 billion, at current exchange rates) moving from the Central Bank of Syria to Russia’s VTB Bank.

They need someone on their side I suppose.

It's been fascinating how little WikiLeaks could get out of the Trump machine in the most recent US election, but had all the good stuff on Clinton.

In the end, it wasn't the Wikileaks that brought Clinton down by the Comey letter and her being such an unlikable candidate. The facts are still sketchy but even if the Russians were behind the hack, I highly doubt the emails had much of an effect. It's still pretty disconcerting though. Trump needs to pull his head out of his a** say say simply at a a) he would have won anyway and b) he's open to a full investigation. His straight up denial and kissy faces at Putin is sorta sickening and Ronald Reagan would be spinning in his grave if he could see how the GOP is dealing with the Russians now.

The Dems and the GOP need show some integrity. If their whole moral judgement on whether something is good or not is based on whats good and bad for Trump then they need new morals.

In the end, it wasn't the Wikileaks that brought Clinton down by the Comey letter and her being such an unlikable candidate. The facts are still sketchy but even if the Russians were behind the hack, I highly doubt the emails had much of an effect. It's still pretty disconcerting though. Trump needs to pull his head out of his a** say say simply at a a) he would have won anyway and b) he's open to a full investigation. His straight up denial and kissy faces at Putin is sorta sickening and Ronald Reagan would be spinning in his grave if he could see how the GOP is dealing with the Russians now.

The Dems and the GOP need show some integrity. If their whole moral judgement on whether something is good or not is based on whats good and bad for Trump then they need new morals.

But Trump has countless times stated he would have won anyway and he has denied the involvement with Russia (in terms of them fixing the election or hacking the DNC) from the get go. Every other tweet on Nov 9th was that the popular vote doesn't mean a thing because he would have campaigned differently, and won anyway. And this past week he's been clearly stating that he had no involvement with Russia and that the media hype about them hacking the DNC is fake news - pure and simple. Even the NYT ran an article saying there was no involvement (a few weeks before it was the next newest "excuse" why Clinton lost), and the FBI made a statement that Russia wasn't involved. HuffPo ran an article yesterday about Russian hackers being yet another excuse.

If you want more, CNN and Obama also are on record saying the campaign wasn't hacked by Russia - hell Obama even told Trump to stop whining about possible Russian involvement back in October.

Lastly, I'm confused why you're also upset about Trump's friendliness with Russia. In the 2012 election Obama bashed Romney for worrying about Russia. Obama said they have nothing to worry about with Russia. Shouldn't we keep our allies close and in good spirits? Is it so wrong that we're on good terms with the only other powerhouse country in the world? I can't believe that in 4 years the media turned Russia into a taboo topic. Even when Trump announced SoS as Tillerson people were up in arms about his involvement with Russia. Who cares! He's involved with every first world country in the world, Russia is not an evil empire anymore, we're allies and world powers and therefore should try to maintain friendship, not accuse them of something they didn't do.

Not trying to instigate anything, but from my view things are looking good.

You still need to oppose Russia though. People are afraid Trump won't do that.

You still need to oppose Russia though. People are afraid Trump won't do that.

Precisely. I'm not saying there was a hack and even if there were, I and most conservatives agree what it wouldn't have affected the election. Nate Silver's assessment of the polls is that the Comey letter did that. The reopening of the investigation caused moderate voters and the remaining undecided to turn away from Clinton at the last minute. We are no way trying to legitimise Trump's victory. But what I am saying is that any president should be open to the idea that the Russians did try something and open to a full scale investigation being carried out rather than declaring it's a left wing plot.

Why should you oppose Russia? Because Putin is a dictatorial expansionist that backs unsavoury regimes whilst undermining NATO/Western influence. He has time and time again shown his willingness to invade neighbouring democracies and Western allies to maintain and grow Russian influence. He dreams of a modern Imperial Russia. When will the U.S presidents start viewing this man as a threat and start containing him? Both the Bush and Obama administration tried to reset relations with the Kremlin and they both got BURNED. Stop playing games with Putin.

To quote the Reagan ad, "there's a bear in the woods". And may I add, his name is Vladamir.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

you all got to admit however that it is hilarious that the CIA of all people is complaining about a foreign power helping to put a right wing extremist is charge

the cynical love-child in me is overjoyed at the irony in that one