Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Young Leo

Rogue One

Hopefully it's less of a disappointment than episode VII.

Why didn't you like Episode 7? :o

the bad guy, 'troubled teenager' trope...

the ZOMG we need to defend us against a superweapon AGAIN

the plot armour of that 'resistance pilot' who is miraculously not dead

cheesy lovestory that follows all the clichés including the 'no I will not join you' but doing so anyway when it matter most (just like in the first movie)

BAH

this trailer looks way more visibly appealing at least, but trailers say hardly anything about the actual movie anyway

I'll see it when it arrives on netflix...

edit: now that I think about it I already forgot what the superweapon was exactly and I saw the movie less then 2 months ago...

Edited by Egghebrecht

^^ that's why Leo. It felt like a forced remake of Episode 4. Kinda boring tbh

The humour was on point, my personal favourite was 'Are you kidding me? I'm blind.'

I'll post spoiler-containing comments in a bit, but by and far Rogue One lived up to the hype.

I'm going in to watch it very cynically, that way it might surprise me.

I can see how the film is going to be passable and interesting, but it's a prequel to a prequel (even though it's kind of not). Any suspense of what's going to happen by the end is lost and it's going to be very difficult to get invested in new characters that have literally no point to them.

The last film relied far to heavily on it's older films to be any good in my opinion. I liked it but do we really need all the little nods to the older characters. We know what star wars is, you can make it authentic without shoving it down our throats. Besides the fact that it was episode 4 repeated, that movie is going to be good or bad depending on what the next movie is like...Which is kind of the syndrome of a trilogy...but....cmon!

We saw it last night. A Norwegian article referred to the movie as the great "Ducktape covering of the largest plothole in New Hope", and aye, it was. They built a movie around a plot hole, and by and far, it was a good movie. It was Star Wars without needing to be an episode-based movie. If the Star Wars stand-alone movies will be like this, I am thoroughly sold on them.

I think Fatalysm's comment on it being difficult to not get invested in characters... well, you would think so, but there are characters there that you genuinely get to like, for vastly different reasons. Within the premise itself, they do a good job of character building without giving everyone an ample backstories. You do not get the attachment of why it is sad when Obi-Wan dies in episode 4 because you see him in the prequels beforehand, nor is it like when Biggs die in Episode 4 and it is a super big deal for Luke, but most in the audience does not know why Biggs is important to Luke. The character building in Rogue One was... "You learn almost nothing about their backstories. You now have to grow attached to them for how they talk, act, think and behave on-screen" and for the most part, that works. They also bring in some old faces (perhaps literally and figuratively) in a way that really helps tie the movie in with Episode 4, and my feeling after the movie was that it fluently ties in with Episode 4.

It was an enjoyable movie all the same, whether you are a high end Star Wars nerd, a Star Wars fan or just a person wanting a decent entertaining movie. It was entertaining, it had quite a good pacing, it was not formulaic at all, it was perhaps a bit more dark than most Star Wars movies, but it felt like Star Wars.

I was not impressed when hearing "Young Han Solo movie", but if that will be at this level of quality and focus, then give me stand-alone movies all you want. I will watch these and enjoy them, both as entertainment, as a Star Wars nerd and such. :P

I haven't watched the movie yet, but I just want to comment on something based on the trailer and the most recent Star Wars movies: I'm getting real tired of these movies just getting young and pretty actors to do all the main roles.

It annoys me to no end. I'd much rather go back to the originals where the actors weren't anywhere near as attractive (even thought they still were), which gave the movies a more... "realistic" feel of sorts.

I mean, Harrison Ford isn't bad looking, neither was Carrie Fisher nor Mark Hamill (at the least post-accident Hamill :P), but they certainly didn't look like teen supermodels. I hate it so much how the movies seem less adult and try to focus more on getting a large portion of the viewers to focus on the pretty girls.

I guess this is mainly a rant at the fact seemingly the main role is yet another pretty girl Rey style.

Edited by Micael Fatia

I haven't watched the movie yet, but I just want to comment on something based on the trailer and the most recent Star Wars movies: I'm getting real tired of these movies just getting young and pretty actors to do all the main roles.

It annoys me to no end. I'd much rather go back to the originals where the actors weren't anywhere near as attractive (even thought they still were), which gave the movies a more... "realistic" feel of sorts.

I mean, Harrison Ford isn't bad looking, neither was Carrie Fisher nor Mark Hamill (at the least post-accident Hamill :P), but they certainly didn't look like teen supermodels. I hate it so much how the movies seem less adult and try to focus more on getting a large portion of the viewers to focus on the pretty girls.

I guess this is mainly a rant at the fact seemingly the main role is yet another pretty girl Rey style.

I do not know if you have seen the movie or not by now, but while this is obviously a story centred around the life of Jyn Erso and a team of misfits, I felt that she kind of drowned in the background as a character. Granted, it obviously is a story where she is the focal point of the narrative, but she gets drowned in all the other larger personalities around her.

Heck, I felt more attached to Bodhi the pilot over her, mostly because his character actually had some decent character progression to it. Jyn and Cassian (I could not even remember his name accurately 30 minutes after I saw the movie) never interested me at all. I was more interested in the rest of the cast, such as Bodhi, K2, Baze, Chirrut, Galen and a whole lot of other characters on both sides of the conflict. They interest me, yet Jyn and Cassian does not. I never felt it was a movie about them, but more about the cause itself, and that was what suckered me in through its narrative and range of interesting characters.

Edit: In all fairness too, and not to really insult Daisy Ridley or anything, but I do not classify her as a "Pretty girl". I never got that vibe off of Rey, because from how she was seen and portrayed in the movie, she felt mostly average looking. I admit, Daisy Ridley is pretty, but I never felt that the character Rey was pretty. Maybe it is a personal thing about my view of Rey's appearance, but I would agree on your comment being spot on about Felicity Jones though. Jyn Erso is your traditional "Pretty girl", and as I tried to say initially, she never really shone much in the movie. Her character just got overshadowed by quite a few other characters being given more life 'n' love by the script and screenplay. :P

Edited by Yuanrang

Who else agrees with me that Darth Vader's hallway scene at the end of the movie sits comfortably among the ranks of the best scenes of Star Wars? Vader's greatest strength was always fear, which he created by lurking in the shadow. This trait which was displayed brilliantly in the V and VI, but lost in III, and that scene was, in my opinion, the greatest reminder that Darth Vader is an EVIL monster - not a character kids get plush toys of and put on their shelves, but a horrifying entity to be FEARED by all. I don't know, but I just love that about that scene, and I think I'll always remember seeing it in the cinema, and being in absolute awe from the ending of Rogue One.

I agree with Army of One. More James Earl Jones, less CGI Peter Cushing. CGI Peter Cushing was dumb. Chirrut Imwe (Donnie Yen) was probably my favourite character.

Vader use was perfect in the movie - not too much to outshine the main cast, but enough for fan service and who he was.

I didn't like having Tarkin in the film, they had Ben Mendolsohn (Krennic) spend too much time trying to deal with Tarkin undermining him. The scene with Krennic and Vader would've been improved if it wasn't all 'am I still in charge, Lord Vader?' The bureaucracy there was un