Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CIN_47

Video games and environmental issues?

"Gaming companies have regularly appeared at the bottom of Greenpeace’s rankings for environmentally-friendly technology companies and games still have a long way to go before they can be considered anywhere near "environmentally friendly".

Do you think there are video-games that are trying to enact positive change? :) Have you noticed any green messages while playing video games? 

I can't think of any video games I've played that have made any actual statements towards eco-friendliness (unless you can include the 3rd gen Pokemon games in the Hoenn region trying to fix the extreme weather problems :laughroll:). One of the great allures of video gaming is to escape into a virtual reality. Since topics about the environment these last couple decades have become so politically charged maybe that's a reason for not noticing any of these messsages as companies don't want to alienate any percentage of their potential customers. 

I would rather not have political and social agendas shoved down my throat when I'm trying to escape reality via gaming. i did not enjoy the whole #Gamergate controversy and I will not enjoy Greenpeace trying to police my games.

I place windmills in City Skylines because I want to and not because I was told to, damn it! :tongue:

Welcome to Sal's btw, CIN_47! You caught us at a bad time with the whole forum being upgraded and all. I really hope you stay. It's been ages since we had a good debate here at the Debate Room. :happy:

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Gaming companies rank low on Greenpeace's rankings, well from what I can see based on news articles and people talking about them. Greenpeace slammed companies such as Nintendo & Microsoft because alot of their products are ending up discarded without the possibility of being recycled. It's not fantastic because these companies do need to held to a higher standard and with the amount of 42m tonnes of e-waste in 2015, it's clear to see there is a problem. That being said the ranking thing seems like a joke in my opinion. Greenpeace also ranked Apple number one. The only difference between these companies is that more people will throw away old consoles than they will Apple hardware.

I don't think every company is doing their absolute best to be the most environmentally friendly because it's all about competing in the market. Certain parts they need aren't recyclable and also when you start to make your products environmentally friendly, the cost of the product increases and if your product price increases but another competing companies prices doesn't, you've just lost your customers. So I don't expect we'll be seeing any massive changes towards being environmentally friendly until all companies are given the same treatment. Nobody wants to lose their market share.

I think a massive part of gaming is telling a story. Obviously some games don't do this as much but when it comes down to lore heavy games or games with higher narration or even games that pull from a certain time period that emulate real life it's hard to ignore that games can follow the news, politics, economics and environment. A big theme for the last 5-10 years has been pre & post-apocalyptic. You can see that with games like Fallout, Metro and Horizon Zero Dawn. The same applies to movies, we've had underlying tones of doom throughout history in film whether it's something like The Day After Tomorrow or 2012.

There is definitely a presence there, but it's not something that's being pushed in anyone's face. The honest answer to that is, nobody wants to play games where their life or situation is put in front of them. Gaming is a form of escapism, not many people are going to stick around if you start telling them to recycle stuff. Although I would love to see a first person shooter that forces you to get ammo by recycling old bullets, that could be an interesting mechanic.

31 minutes ago, Fatalysm said:

Gaming companies rank low on Greenpeace's rankings, well from what I can see based on news articles and people talking about them. Greenpeace slammed companies such as Nintendo & Microsoft because alot of their products are ending up discarded without the possibility of being recycled. It's not fantastic because these companies do need to held to a higher standard and with the amount of 42m tonnes of e-waste in 2015, it's clear to see there is a problem. That being said the ranking thing seems like a joke in my opinion. Greenpeace also ranked Apple number one. The only difference between these companies is that more people will throw away old consoles than they will Apple hardware.

I don't think every company is doing their absolute best to be the most environmentally friendly because it's all about competing in the market. Certain parts they need aren't recyclable and also when you start to make your products environmentally friendly, the cost of the product increases and if your product price increases but another competing companies prices doesn't, you've just lost your customers. So I don't expect we'll be seeing any massive changes towards being environmentally friendly until all companies are given the same treatment. Nobody wants to lose their market share

I think the only way to successfully solve the e-waste problem is to make their recycling a financially viable business. There's plenty of videos online (like the one below) of e-waste recycling plants that harvests the precious metals in discarded electronics and turns the rest into raw plastic and metals that can be sold. A few even rehabilitates perfectly usable machines and sells them for the cheap. I think one ton of shredded computer parts can sell up to 6000+ UK pounds depending on the material.

I would be fine with giving startups like these a long tax holiday of several years to encourage their development and growth. Not only would it be good for the environment, it also would produce economic activity and jobs.

11 minutes ago, Phoenix Rider said:

I think the only way to successfully solve the e-waste problem is to make their recycling a financially viable business. There's plenty of videos online (like the one below) of e-waste recycling plants that harvests the precious metals in discarded electronics and turns the rest into raw plastic and metals that can be sold. A few even rehabilitates perfectly usable machines and sells them for the cheap. I think one ton of shredded computer parts can sell up to 6000+ UK pounds depending on the material.

I would be fine with giving startups like these a long tax holiday of several years to encourage their development and growth. Not only would it be good for the environment, it also would produce economic activity and jobs.

That's a fantastic idea, they should put you in charge! :tongue:

To be fair to some of these companies, Nintendo and others do make an effort to make sure they factor in recyclable electronic parts and plastic and even design things with the ability to be taken apart. 

The other upside that I never mentioned is that production of actual games will slow down, hard copies are less favourable to downloads. Although whilst the price of downloading games is the same as owning a hard copy I don't think hard copies will go away. I never really understood that, the amount it costs to buy cd's, print onto them, buy cases and print the artwork for the games, how can they put downloadable games at the same price or sometimes even higher.

Edited by Fatalysm

1 minute ago, Fatalysm said:

That's a fantastic idea, they should put you in charge! :P

brb getting plastic shredder :laugh:

Runescape actually has a quest with an environmental message. It's called The Perils of Ice Mountain I think. Basically you have to stop Ice Mountain from melting. It sounds ridiculous but it exists.

I agree with Phoenix in that I don't like politics shoved down my throat when I'm trying to have fun, even if I agree with those politics.

3 hours ago, Sobend said:

Runescape actually has a quest with an environmental message. It's called The Perils of Ice Mountain I think. Basically you have to stop Ice Mountain from melting. It sounds ridiculous but it exists.

Wasn't the God Wars Dungeon revealed due to all the players burning logs causing global temperatures to rise? I seem to recall reading that some where.

The AI in Civ V always get angry when I cover their territory with a blanket of nuclear fallout. These damn hippies gotta let me do what I want.

• Haha 1

From my point of view sometimes while playing video games I don't even notice some hidden messages. In other words it's quite an underground kind of field that could reveal flaws. It might be reasonable that the gaming industry's at least can try to work as a social platform.

However, agree that video games are for having fun, not dealing with problems such as global warming. I guess someone should find that golden solution while we are "covering territories with a blanket of nuclear fallout" :D 

On 7/27/2017 at 10:42 AM, Guitarguy said:

The AI in Civ V always get angry when I cover their territory with a blanket of nuclear fallout. These damn hippies gotta let me do what I want.

In my latest game they just passed Non-Proliferation of nuclear weapons. I was very sad.

12 hours ago, Young Leo said:

In my latest game they just passed Non-Proliferation of nuclear weapons. I was very sad.

Modern_India_Gandhi.jpg