Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fatalysm

Transparency labelling/pricing

I've started to see more and more companies using transparent labelling/ pricing. I would like to know your opinions on it and if you've seen it and where you've seen it. Does it actually benefit the customer, will it benefit the industry that the company is in? Any downfalls or good points for using it.

I've considered using it myself (I have my own pet shop), where I figured I might show people exactly how much money I make when they purchase a product. This would act as an incentive to buy more to give me more money and to clarify why they shouldn't be getting a discount. But hey-ho that's just my cynical view on it.

I personally think transparent labelling / pricing is cool, a tad unnecessary and in a lot of cases I think it could be a little intrusive (for instance, if people are making a butt-ton of money off of something, does it make it okay to know that they make loads of money off that product? I can see a lot of people whining about the cost, as if you make too much money because they don't place the same value on you as you do.). But I'm definitely interested in it.

As far as transparent labelling, so far I can see no harm in it, if it was enforceable i'd love it because it would incentivise better products with less nasty stuff in! Which is incredibly prevalent inside the pet food market. Keeping customers informed is always good and something that people seem to encourage is honesty. But I'm not sure if this sort of thing is just going too far, does it matter how much money you make, does it matter if it's labelled to describe it even further.

Here are a few examples of transparent pricing and labelling if you've not seen it.

blog-postnew.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 20.28.16.png

Edited by Fatalysm
Formatting posts...bleh!

At face value I think this idea offers a lot of net positives to everyone involved. You get to see where your money is actually going, what's actually in your food, and that's a good thing. I think it'd work on a small scale, I just wouldn't want it mainstream because I think it could easily be manipulated.

On the transparent labeling picture you gave there is subjective information on it and I could see the potential for subtle marketing. Does it actually follow FDA guidelines? It doesn't explicitly say, but the customer walks away thinking it's FDA approved because it's made "with the same ingredients" as real FDA-approved foods. Adding things like Made in the USA reaches out to a specific kind of person who shops American to promote local and small business/manufacturers. What is a GMP certified facility? Is that even relevant? To me that's just marketing. 

Before you say it, yes it's insignificant, but if something like this was mandated it would be the little things like these they exploit. You'd see a commercial comparing two products side by side and one would be lauded as the best because it won all these never heard of certificates and awards likely designed by another branch of the same umbrella company. Maybe I'm reading too deep into it. Or I'm just too cynical.

For your purposes at your store, I think it's a fantastic idea. At the end of the day I wouldn't like to see it enforced.

8 minutes ago, Guitarguy said:

Everything is good in moderation.

I definitely agree. The more I look at my example of soylent and the whole 'asbestos free' thing in that comic strip the more I'm thinking, why exactly do they have to say they aren't these things. That example is perfect, I don't expect my cereal to have asbestos so why do I need to be told that it doesn't have it.

The only thing I'll argue is that companies do spend a lot of time hiding behind words and confusing customers to create purchases. In the pet industry buzzwords are everything. Natural hypoallergenic perfectly balanced diet, words that all come up. But the other thing is, when you read the ingredients all you see is 'chicken meal' or 'meat and animal derivatives' or '40% Chicken (composed of 18% chicken meal, 20% Chicken Gravy, 2% Dried Chicken'. The worst part is, that's the ingredients. On the front of the bag, it'll just say 'Chicken'... Which is utterly ridiculous. Some treats you see 'beef and cheese' on the front. But it's only 5% beef & cheese!

But I understand the pet food/treat world is extremely stupid.

If companies want to make use of people's social conscience to push product, then bravo to them. It's capitalism at its best. I'm generally skeptical with regards to forcing business to comply with arbitrary regulations but I'm sure there's no harm in them being made to add more information in the back of the box in the interest of informing the consumer. We already have a full list of ingredients in the back of products to fulfill a similar purpose. Just make sure it doesn't get out of hand and overly specific.

Cost transparency is the new reality, and companies won’t be able to avoid it

soem cost transparancy is great, also because it shows how much people get payed to make the product

what however isn't great at all is the bullshizzle underneath 'transparant labelling'

"organic","natural" etc are all bullshizzle terms which means absolutely nothing, using them is a pure marketing technique

some terms are worse than others, "natural" is the biggest offender. "Organic" has some meaning if it's an official label, but absolutely not what it implies to be, it isn't pesticide free or whatever.

/pet peeve (and a professional one too)