Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tree

Nostalgia thread

6rYk3J9.png

It's been a long while since we were greeted by this logo. On a very related note: what fills you with nostalgia? An old tune, TV show perhaps?

Share it with us.

I get nostalgic over too many things these days. Whenever I go to my parents house they still have all my old furniture, school projects, stuff that reminds me of growing up there, and it's so much fun to go through all my old things that were priceless to me back then (and truth be told are priceless to me still today). 

One type of perfume my first girlfriend wore too. I've only smelled it one more time after we stopped dating (and about 6-7 years after that fact) and it took me straight back. Not even to memories of her, we only dated for a hot minute lol, but memories of high school. Was just walking down the street and BOOM got hit by a wave of nostalgia. 

On a RuneScape-related note, I just can't get into Old School because it doesn't stack up to the mental image I built up for years and years about how fun it was to go on that journey for the first time. I mean, we had no idea about exp, what grinding was, or how to even do anything. Prince Ali Rescue took me days to complete. Shield of Arrav took even longer - just because I had no idea what to do. So going through that game for a second time, worried about exp waste and grinding and earning money, I couldn't get into it. I still break into a smile every time I hear the log-in music though.

Sort of on the topic of Runescape, I miss 2005-2006 Runescape. The 2007 version feels a year too old and has all of those recent updates. I also think the modern mindset people have today who play it is not the mindset people had back then (i.e., XP over fun stuff).

Also, I like to watch old baseball games, especially old Phillies games. I miss Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Cole Hamels, and even Pat Burrell.

4 minutes ago, Chaoss said:

One type of perfume my first girlfriend wore too. I've only smelled it one more time after we stopped dating (and about 6-7 years after that fact) and it took me straight back. Not even to memories of her, we only dated for a hot minute lol, but memories of high school. Was just walking down the street and BOOM got hit by a wave of nostalgia. 

I feel you there. If I remember correctly there were several studies linking smell to the ingraining of memories in the brain - certain smells can throw you right back.

1 minute ago, Sobend said:

I also think the modern mindset people have today who play it is not the mindset people had back then (i.e., XP over fun stuff).

Yes. Don't want to sound like a grumpy elitist, but it sure seems like the vast majority forgot how to have fun when it doesn't directly involve XP/item rewards. Something about a carrot and a stick.

23 hours ago, Sobend said:

Sort of on the topic of Runescape, I miss 2005-2006 Runescape. The 2007 version feels a year too old and has all of those recent updates. I also think the modern mindset people have today who play it is not the mindset people had back then (i.e., XP over fun stuff).

Also, I like to watch old baseball games, especially old Phillies games. I miss Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Cole Hamels, and even Pat Burrell.

Man, on a similar note, collecting baseball cards. I used to spend every cent of my money on baseball cards. There was a small card store in town who charged fair prices and I would go there religiously. The guy was kinda grumpy but really nice, and the joy of buying a pack and opening it while walking back home was amazing. Even though I'm a Yankees fan I always liked Glavine, Maddux, and Smoltz, and I loved it when I pulled one of their cards. One year I remember pulling one of the printing plates too - such a neat 1 of 1 find, that's one of my favorite cards still and I must have 10's of thousands. 

On 1/20/2018 at 5:23 PM, Sobend said:

Sort of agree, I tried to play castle wars last month and no one was playing.  That place used to be packed on every world.

I don't get nostalgic for much though, I think things are generally better now than they used to be.

1 hour ago, Shooter585 said:

Sort of agree, I tried to play castle wars last month and no one was playing.  That place used to be packed on every world.

I don't get nostalgic for much though, I think things are generally better now than they used to be.

Man, original CWars was the best. I was too nooby to actually PvP so I always used the environment and such. Placing barricades, shooting off the battlements, etc. Those people back then who had barrage and stuff were seen as gods to my friends and I. I remember finally getting membership years later in like 2012 when Castle Wars was afk-wars and being absolutely crushed that now that I had memberships again the game was completely boring.

On 1/21/2018 at 3:20 AM, Chaoss said:

I get nostalgic over too many things these days. Whenever I go to my parents house they still have all my old furniture, school projects, stuff that reminds me of growing up there, and it's so much fun to go through all my old things that were priceless to me back then (and truth be told are priceless to me still today). 

On a RuneScape-related note, I just can't get into Old School because it doesn't stack up to the mental image I built up for years and years about how fun it was to go on that journey for the first time. I mean, we had no idea about exp, what grinding was, or how to even do anything. Prince Ali Rescue took me days to complete. Shield of Arrav took even longer - just because I had no idea what to do. So going through that game for a second time, worried about exp waste and grinding and earning money, I couldn't get into it. I still break into a smile every time I hear the log-in music though.

Same, same, and SAME!

On 1/21/2018 at 3:23 AM, Sobend said:

Agreed!

On 11/6/2018 at 1:05 PM, im gona mill burray ur mom said:

bustling hustling and jostling sals

YOUR FORUM NAME HAD ME CRACKING. XD

On-topic: Nostalgia's become like a drug to me these days. Anything and almost everything get me nostalgic these days. Even if I hear a piece of music that's been released not too long ago, there'll be a part of that song which will make me feel things similar to what the old songs would make me feel and that gets me nostalgic. Sometimes I feel hopeless with my inclination towards nostalgia but most of the times I feel inspired.