Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Darkest

Random Fun Memories

Since this forum basically runs off nostalgia now, here's a neat thread idea:

Here, post your random memories from the forum (or Runescape in general!) that were funny, cool, or memorable, but that might not be big enough to have warranted inclusion in the wiki, or that you think others might not remember.

I'll start: I remember some newbie forumer posted a topic about how he was at school, walking down the hallway, heard some footsteps behind him, and he turned around and a GHOST PUNCHED HIM IN THE FACE. It was so funny and it even became a meme for a while.

I remember when that Sobend guy jokingly got promoted to a mod.

Good times.

I miss the clan community here. Most fun I ever had on the internet. If it was back I'd drop everything and play Runescape several hours a day again.

Getting paid $20 when I voted for Guitarguy as DM wasn't bad either.

• Thanks 1

Just faking in general was the reason I joined here. Lots of fun to fake with the gang.. I always wanted to get a cake award from Easl. I want to say I remember getting one but that might be my memory lying to me haha. 

I remember someone on another site ripped off the Bunny Kit and was charging people for avatars until someone here caught wind of it. That was an interesting couple of days. 

16 hours ago, Sobend said:

I miss the clan community here. Most fun I ever had on the internet. If it was back I'd drop everything and play Runescape several hours a day again.

Getting paid $20 when I voted for Guitarguy as DM wasn't bad either.

Heck, I miss the fact that we used to have Forum Clans. Not Clans visiting the forum, but you know... Forum sponsored clans. Sure, they were not serious in any way, but it was a bit of a precursor to the in-game clan system that came 3 years later, and I always thought them as good in terms of community building for events and the like.

I think one of the saddest things in hindsight regarding clans was that there was an obvious difference with what the Staff and the Clans wanted out of the Clan community here, and neither side was willing to see the other side of the discussion. Almost no one, except Dani and I, really took the time to respect and care about how Clans worked to understand their argument. On the flipside, a significant amount of people wanted to get away from RSC's strict rules and... well... did not understand that ours were even stricter, as we had no clan-specific infractions.

2 people cannot run a clan section, and a clan section cannot expect to be allowed to run itself on a site not devoted to clans. It never really had a chance in retrospect, but I am glad we never budged on our standards, even if the clan community moved on to the next fansite in a long line of fansites.

In a personal PvP-related nostalgia... I really miss those good old Steel Wars that Sneeze used to arrange, which then further developed into the Multi-Site Steel Wars once other forums started them as well. Now that was also rather fun to just hang out with people. :tongue: 

16 hours ago, Yuanrang said:

Heck, I miss the fact that we used to have Forum Clans. Not Clans visiting the forum, but you know... Forum sponsored clans. Sure, they were not serious in any way, but it was a bit of a precursor to the in-game clan system that came 3 years later, and I always thought them as good in terms of community building for events and the like.

I think one of the saddest things in hindsight regarding clans was that there was an obvious difference with what the Staff and the Clans wanted out of the Clan community here, and neither side was willing to see the other side of the discussion. Almost no one, except Dani and I, really took the time to respect and care about how Clans worked to understand their argument. On the flipside, a significant amount of people wanted to get away from RSC's strict rules and... well... did not understand that ours were even stricter, as we had no clan-specific infractions.

2 people cannot run a clan section, and a clan section cannot expect to be allowed to run itself on a site not devoted to clans. It never really had a chance in retrospect, but I am glad we never budged on our standards, even if the clan community moved on to the next fansite in a long line of fansites.

In a personal PvP-related nostalgia... I really miss those good old Steel Wars that Sneeze used to arrange, which then further developed into the Multi-Site Steel Wars once other forums started them as well. Now that was also rather fun to just hang out with people. :tongue: 

oh those steel wars

I remember having to lead one without any preparation because no one else was available

dead in 0,3 seconds XD

On 4/3/2018 at 1:27 PM, Yuanrang said:

Yeah, people gave you a lot of crap in the old days, but the truth is you were one of the few who actually gave a damn. And you were a clanner yourself. (The name of which clan I forget; something with knights in it?) So you actually understood these people mildly well. I remember when my clan was rebuilding we were out and ran into your clan and got demolished. I don't know if you were there or not at that time; this was late 2006/early 2007.

IMO the clan community here got lost when it became a minor league for RSC. People saw it as a good way to get their new/rebuilding clan attention so they posted a topic and started acting like a Sal's clan. I remember when Gladz made an official topic saying that they were joining the Sals clan community all was lost. Then people started comparing it to RSC, and were complaining about the rules being different, and that was the end. My favorite Sal's clan of all time was probably FT. They were the one clan that rose up from the old/very early new forum community to stay until the Sal's clan community left. Finish ed was (is?) a good guy.

Anyway, I was never involved in the forum sponsored clans. Those only lasted like six months or something :p.

The sals realms april fools.

Another thing I miss was the guide writing days when a new quest or activity was released, and a dozen or so people banded together to clear activities, help each other, take pictures, write down stuff and just generally make sure we could get quest guides out quickly. IRC was brilliant to co-ordinate those things, and it did not hurt that a lot of us Europeans were pretty availible at the same time. 

....until you got to something like Mourning's End part II, and everyone got depressed by how damn hard that quest was. :xd: 

Since it has not been mentioned yet.. let us not forget the awesome treasure hunts that Cameron started. I loved trying to come up with some ideas, and watching everyone try their best to figure out some riddles which, quite frankly, was surprisingly hard. It was funny, because we had some super sleuths running around. :tongue:

I actually still have the very last clue for the hidden password of treasure hunt #1 in my profile to this day. You can find it under my "Interests" in my profile. 

Use spoiler tags for the answer though if anyone else wants to try it too. :tongue:

Edited by Yuanrang
Put in a spoiler tag.

Tbh the tech support here was legendary. I learned so much from Naota, Stobbo, and Bob-sama. 

On 5-4-2018 at 2:05 PM, Jacky said:

The sals realms april fools.

yeah, the one with the big fake fight and new dm's etc was my favourite

It was a bit over the top and too aggressive for some people but I always liked my humour sharp and realistic

Oh man I love going back here from time to time. I don't really post (I didn't even post  a lot when I was active), but I always felt so alive looking/lurking through the forums. Lots of familiar faces in this topic. Doubt anyone remembers me from the good ol' days though. I loved the random conversations in the Sals CC, times when people in the CC would just hang out n' stuff. Looking at skill logs, making sigs on photoshop, reading some blogs (I remember reading Sofee's I think before? haha) jeez I teared up a little tbh.

And my first warning was from Egghebrecht.....almost 10 years ago?? Damn time flies 

Edited by Gee

On 11-4-2018 at 2:17 PM, Gee said:

Oh man I love going back here from time to time. I don't really post (I didn't even post  a lot when I was active), but I always felt so alive looking/lurking through the forums. Lots of familiar faces in this topic. Doubt anyone remembers me from the good ol' days though. I loved the random conversations in the Sals CC, times when people in the CC would just hang out n' stuff. Looking at skill logs, making sigs on photoshop, reading some blogs (I remember reading Sofee's I think before? haha) jeez I teared up a little tbh.

And my first warning was from Egghebrecht.....almost 10 years ago?? Damn time flies 

:laugh:

Yeah I retired from modding over 9 years ago so it must have been one of my last warns :p

On 12.4.2018 at 4:38 PM, Egghebrecht said:

:laugh:

Yeah I retired from modding over 9 years ago so it must have been one of my last warns :p

I was thinking about that... did you become a Moderator during those years when I were retired (2007-2009)? It is so damn long ago, I barely remember whether or not I was active or not. I do recall you as a Distinguished Member, but as a Moderator? I cannot remember, most of those years are a black hole in my memory as I was heavily into World of Warcraft and needed distance from RuneScape.

Another memorable experience was the very first night of #Slams. It was wild, it was chaotic and IRC was wildly unfamiliar for many people visiting, but it was the community in a nutshell, and it was... well... exciting. Everything IRC related that happened after was a journey in its own right, but I do not think I ever was as amazed as I was on the moment that #Slams opened, and that would just turn out to be the beginning. :tongue:

15 hours ago, Yuanrang said:

I was thinking about that... did you become a Moderator during those years when I were retired (2007-2009)? It is so damn long ago, I barely remember whether or not I was active or not. I do recall you as a Distinguished Member, but as a Moderator? I cannot remember, most of those years are a black hole in my memory as I was heavily into World of Warcraft and needed distance from RuneScape.

december the 10 th 2007 Moderator and DM on the 7th of may of the same year according to the pm's I got

lolled quite a bit while scrolling down with all the hatemail in there from people I warned

while scrolling down I got stuck on a great specimen while loading the next batch that was me responding to such hatemail with another warn

teh lolz

Oh lord, you made me go through my inbox and I have so many random conversations ranging from long Mafia conversations, to some seriously impressive hatemail, and the most random conversations ever. Of things to note is a depressing amount of burns dished out by Dani, and a PM I had with Sal in 2007 which I for some reason signed

Hairily yours.

Donald Trump

...I guess everyone was right about me being absolutely bananas, and they were just a decade ahead of the times in figuring it out. :blink:

There were so many old names and faces whom I miss, too. :sad:

I actually knew what my first message would be: It was a conversation between me and Cameron from November 2005 in which we wondered why some guy were wanting to buy Kebabs (only gained from random events at that point) by the thousands. Turned out, he wanted them for PKing in F2P, which was amazing since they healed at random amounts and could hurt you if it was rancid. I laughed as hard tonight as I did when we discovered that in 2005. :xd:

Egghebrecht! I just noticed your signature. That in itself is one of the most legendary events in Sals history! What started off with some random noob making a dumb, probably trolly post, ended up being a debate for years that was actually settled by Jagex - YEARS after the original topic. I'll see if I can find the topic that solved it (which was only like two years ago or something like that).

EDIT: It was you actually who wrote the article in the Santafish Monthly:

http://runescape.salmoneus.net/newsletter/april-2015.html

I was the one who brought the topic back up (because I like to reminisce) actually. Which I don't really recall doing. Whatever lol

Edited by The Darkest
found what i was looking for

3 hours ago, The Darkest said:

Egghebrecht! I just noticed your signature. That in itself is one of the most legendary events in Sals history! What started off with some random noob making a dumb, probably trolly post, ended up being a debate for years that was actually settled by Jagex - YEARS after the original topic. I'll see if I can find the topic that solved it (which was only like two years ago or something like that).

EDIT: It was you actually who wrote the article in the Santafish Monthly:

http://runescape.salmoneus.net/newsletter/april-2015.html

I was the one who brought the topic back up (because I like to reminisce) actually. Which I don't really recall doing. Whatever lol

epic posts are epic

jolly good fun in reading that again :)

i spent my entire time at sals in an oxygenated cube filled with mescaline i dont have any memories

Also remember fiending the database contests with all the random Dungeoneering items/monsters that came out - Think I got a neat custom title for a month or something. 

The forum puzzle hunts man. Those things where intensely fun