Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

OSRS Jmod fired for hacking players

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/an-important-announcement?oldschool=1

Mostly rumors at this point. Basically Mod Jed, who is a "Junior Content Developer", was involved with the NH clan ROT and hacked some rich players who had some beef with ROT. I've heard a player with 46b got hacked and had all of his money refunded. I have also heard rumors that he was able to get people's IRL info and credit card numbers.

If this is all true it is a huge scandal but also shows deficiencies in Jagex's security system. If someone this low can get access to this information this is bad. I have no idea why someone affiliated with ROT, which has been shady since I started playing, can get this level of trust with Jagex.

Super disappointing ? The fact that he could just access an account like that and get away with so much for so long just shows how unsecured Jagex accounts are, we need something better than 2FA and a bank pin because the recovery system is a joke.

It surprises me that there was a Jmod on staff with RoT.  I think RoT's reputation among the wider community is worse than they actually are, but I do not believe it was wise to trust one of them with that much power.  Hate to paint with a broad brush here, there are some good guys in RoT, but that definitely does not pass the eye test lol.