Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

Dark Subject--Impending Death: Ignorance or Knowledge?

I know this is a weird topic to post, but it's a debate I have been having in my head. We all tend to be young here, and hopefully this is (for now) theoretical.

Would you prefer to know of your impending death, or would you prefer to simply randomly die in your sleep? (For the sake of argument, both deaths will result in zero pain.) When you know of your impending death, you have the opportunity to tie up a few things and then say goodbye. On the other hand, it could be a terrifying event. Do you want to spend the end of your life in terror, like some inmate awaiting execution? In that way, ignorance of your impending death could be beneficial.

Obviously the latter. If I didn't know when my death would be, how would I know when to blow all my money on hookers and coke? My death would probably involve one of those, actually.

I'd wish to be ignorant of it. Especially if the circumstances of my death were to be known beforehand... would hate to hear I'm going to suffer for 5 years with Alzheimer's or something before I enter the grand bliss. 

Well, if both events result in zero pain.. Huh. On one hand being able to tie up all your loose ends and say goodbye to friends and loved ones is part of the human experience, right? I feel like that's how the majority of people pass away anyways. Are there any constraints to what that cause would be though? If it's gonna be a disease — what I'd expect — then you're just an average person with their death hanging over their head. That would kind of suck.

But if it's not gonna be a disease - like you'll have a piano fall on you or a monster truck rally will go belly-up, but it won't hurt at all? I dunno, that sounds kind of glorious in a macabre way. 

Hard question, but I'll echo everyone else and agree that the latter option is preferable. I'd hope everyone in my life wouldn't harbor any ill will towards me for not saying goodbye, ha. 

If given the choice the answer is simple. Know your death.

The best reason is this: 

You can live your best life.

Plan accordingly. Knowing you're gonna die in 5 years time? fudge that sucks, but at least now I'm not going to waste my time preparing for a future. Leave school, travel and work. Enjoy your last 5 years.

You take the road of ignorance? You study lots, you land yourself a good job, you save your money, you have a super (or 401k whatever u Yankees call it), you work hard to get that delicious promotion coming up (it comes with a raise!). And I oop- you die at your desk, never having lived at all. 

Great question.

Knowledge. I'd like to say final goodbyes to my loved ones... then blow my money on blow and purple sweets.

• Haha 1