Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Zooey

Sal's Shoddy Guestbook

Posted (edited)

ok so this is a silly idea but I think it'd be kind of fun anyways. I've turned a 3D printer into a text printer and (eventually) want to build an interactive javascript site so people can actively draw things on the paper, but I wanna just try it out here on Sal's with all of y'all to see how it'd theoretically turn out. 

CURRENT GUESTBOOK

IMG_0975.thumb.jpeg.89d9f66ef357f580dd3d9748bf0731e5.jpeg

The canvas is something like 200x200 (let's say top left is 0,0 if anyone wants to use coordinates) and I've got dimensions all wonky so rough estimates work, or even just marking on the above image itself where you want your text. The code I've written can handle different fonts and since it's paper I can just move it around, so if want your text oblique/rotated just say so (or, better yet, marking in the image)

So yeah, font/text/sizes to print out anyone? I have trouble getting large pieces of text legible at small weight, so keeping your signatures smaller would be prudent (i.e. I'm not readily able to print out Ivanhoe on this) 

Examples:

• "Butts", Comic Sans 24pt somewhere in the middle
  • "I can't believe you've done this", runescape font, 8pt at 10x100
  • GIVE ME THIS IMAGE ZOOEY NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS
  • "I have no comment but please put a nice random number somewhere on the image"

I haven't figured out a good way to print out images yet. I'm hoping to do that soon. I can do a bunch of weird shapes, so if anyone wants that, throw that in too

Edited by Zooey
ree

Posted (edited)

could i have font names u guys that would make it 1000x easier namely u beret is that futura or something?

CHAOSS ok this will be a project I'm gonna have to get the math for wave lol, is there a way you made that or a screenie from RS?

progress!

sorry fiddleman I messed up your centered-ness, Beret Futura gave me wonky vertecies for B's, S'es and R's lol

IMG_0148.thumb.jpeg.677b3d91e57e8be4b89c440e2ba25748.jpege

image.png

Edited by Zooey

My font appears to be "Constantia," unbolded, unitalicized, size 22.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Guitarguy said:

My font appears to be "Constantia," unbolded, unitalicized, size 22.

I've remedied my shoddy attempts and you're far bolder now. Ok, Chaoss - I (probably) should re-do the math on yours because it's not entirely legible, but hey, progress. Also by the way I can use pencils/pens, I've got a fair amount to play around with. So if you want blue or green or yellow or red text just say so.

IMG_0157.thumb.jpeg.0e9b080d7c7cdc08396cceed10e46c56.jpeg

IMG_0156.thumb.jpeg.84bbfc0d3d45f85b7d708d16886c96d6.jpeg

Edited by Zooey

it is done

by the way, Inquis asked for yellow text; I've got a few colored pencils (and pens, but less erasable so) so I can try that out too

IMG_0160-1.jpeg

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Click This said:

shucks, I mis-centered, this is becoming a problem

also seeing as how there's no way this'd get filled with just single signatures, keep adding if ya want to

IMG_0164.thumb.jpeg.6e7831760ecad5effe552ec4d17b2039.jpeg

Edited by Zooey

Haha, looks great Zooey. I used a text feature in Paint.NET to make the wave, frankly I'm not entirely sure how it works!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chaoss said:

Haha, looks great Zooey. I used a text feature in Paint.NET to make the wave, frankly I'm not entirely sure how it works!

You're being kind haha this is definitely looking pretty chopped-up, but it's fun!! 

MORE SIGNATURES??! (or just memes, I guess)

IMG_0186.thumb.jpeg.f8d3911532b259ea54c0f95b69f07d22.jpeg

Sign for me plox:

20,000 posts - wasted so much time (but loved it)

In red please, with a monkey emoji (this is critical)

this sounds to me like you destroyed your printing head and replaced it with a pen fixed with ductape to turn it into a plotter :p

do correct me if I'm wrong

(and now let my order a new print head since I destroyed mine again recently...)

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, 20000_Posts said:

Sign for me plox:

20,000 posts - wasted so much time (but loved it)

In red please, with a monkey emoji (this is critical)

ok so it turns out the monkey unicode block is weird (it's considered two chars I guess since it's such a high value and I need to figure out a workaround in Java) and my code can't handle it, I'll figure it out over the weekend and add a monkey (and fix the 'W')

9 hours ago, Sofee said:

I think I'm doing this right

very much so!! updated the first post with it :D 

11 hours ago, Egghebrecht said:

this sounds to me like you destroyed your printing head and replaced it with a pen fixed with ductape to turn it into a plotter :p

do correct me if I'm wrong

(and now let my order a new print head since I destroyed mine again recently...)

Heh, I'm silly but not to the degree of destroying the head - you're correct though, I just ducttape/rubberband on pens to the head. I wrote code for basic gcode translations and send it over serial from python. Here's a video of what it looks like: (wow, pretty cool we can upload natively here now! EDIT: oh wait lame it's not embedded. /complain)

Edited by Zooey

33 minutes ago, Zooey said:

eh, I'm silly but not to the degree of destroying the head - you're correct though, I just ducttape/rubberband on pens to the head. I wrote code for basic gcode translations and send it over serial from python. Here's a video of what it looks like: (wow, pretty cool we can upload natively here now! EDIT: oh wait lame it's not embedded. /complain)

my current head...

just ordered a new one

IMG_3871.thumb.jpeg.53f2ef9547e5053e0f46aeab82842d3f.jpeg

Did not sign at first because I did not not know how this worked. I hope this is OK. Bottom right.

iu5zu8I.png

Posted (edited)
On 8/9/2019 at 6:08 PM, Sobend said:

Did not sign at first because I did not not know how this worked. I hope this is OK. Bottom right.

Messed it up a bit, hope this is ok :aware:

Ok @20000_Posts, the monkey emoji takes two code points in Java's UTF-16 string representation so I messed around with that for a while but just opted for a monkey dingbat font, heh. I have no idea how these dingbat fonts arrange vector points in their glyphs so I had to play around with that a bit; ended up printing at the wrong angle, too late to change. sry

@Egghebrecht That's crazy, how does that end up happening? Flow rate mess-up or something? I confess I'm pretty unfamiliar with actual 3D printing - I did a good handful of prints but am bummed I can't do cool transparent/bendable plastics. What software do you use? I was shocked at how well Cura generates support material, I used some pretty weird models that I'd generated

I'll scan the current page in if no one else has ideas, my phone photos lose some of the fun "hand-written" appearance you get up close.

Edited by Zooey

Posted (edited)

could i please have something like this?

"DANG, LONELY JUST STOLE MY SIGN" 
on top of @Sobend's sign? 

haha nah jk just put something like

"lonely GFX dominance"  in really gfx-esque font (to show people im very arty)

Edited by im gona mill burray ur mom

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Zooey said:

@Egghebrecht That's crazy, how does that end up happening? Flow rate mess-up or something? I confess I'm pretty unfamiliar with actual 3D printing - I did a good handful of prints but am bummed I can't do cool transparent/bendable plastics. What software do you use? I was shocked at how well Cura generates support material, I used some pretty weird models that I'd generated

second time this happened

it's what you get when your print comes loose from your printing bed and sticks to the print head

the print head then keeps printing even though the nozzle is clogged

ripping the whole bloody thing apart

I have a XYZ brand printer and thus use their own software

printed a ton of things already, mainly for nerf modification and personal designs for that same use

Edited by Egghebrecht

Posted (edited)

@Egghebrecht Well, that sucks. Is the print-head cold-end? I've got a Bowden extruder but I haven't installed it.

@im gona mill burray ur mom ur wish is my commend 

I've got a scan now, to demonstrate what IMPECCABLE QUALITY is going on

vpAf15X.jpg

Edited by Zooey

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Zooey said:

@Egghebrecht Well, that sucks. Is the print-head cold-end? I've got a Bowden extruder but I haven't installed it.

@im gona mill burray ur mom ur wish is my commend 

I've got a scan now, to demonstrate what IMPECCABLE QUALITY is going on

vpAf15X.jpg

wow this is VERY arty!

what is 'why they call it oven when you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food' from? lol

Edited by im gona mill burray ur mom