Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fatalysm

Best Edition of RuneScape?

Best Edition of Runescape?  

6 members have voted

1. 2. Best version of RuneScape?

• RuneScape Classic (No longer operating)
    • Runescape Old School (OSRS)
    • Darkscape (No longer operating)
    • Runescape (Before EOC)
    • Runescape 3 (Current)
  2. 3. Which game mode?

• Regular
    • Ironman
    • Deadman

We are interested to hear your thoughts on the better games and game modes of Runescape through its history.

Edited by Fatalysm

Only a few people have played DeviousMUD, so most people picking DeviousMUD would have no idea what they are talking about.

My favorite Runescape would have been 2004-2007 Runescape. I would call it the first half of pre-EOC Runescape 2. Favorite year in that bit was 2006, though I dislike the changes they made graphically in the second half of that year. I guess Old School is better than RS3 now because of MTX. IF the options were RS3, OSRS, or RSC (the three game modes available until they closed RSC in August 2018), I would choose RSC.

I've edited the poll, might be better now. :xd:

On 1/11/2020 at 1:13 PM, Sobend said:

Only a few people have played DeviousMUD, so most people picking DeviousMUD would have no idea what they are talking about.

My favorite Runescape would have been 2004-2007 Runescape. I would call it the first half of pre-EOC Runescape 2. Favorite year in that bit was 2006, though I dislike the changes they made graphically in the second half of that year. I guess Old School is better than RS3 now because of MTX. IF the options were RS3, OSRS, or RSC (the three game modes available until they closed RSC in August 2018), I would choose RSC.

Seconded - 2005 to 2006 was when I had the most fun. The updates introduced in 2007 marked with the removal of Tutorial Island and moving the starting area to Lumbridge felt me to me like they were simplifying the game too much.

I keep intending to play an OSRS ironman but am too chicken

You know, I looked back at my old pictures of RuneScape, and I have the most pictures from around 2012-2014. The pictures show all my 99's, GWD and KK loot drops, end-game content, etc. 

Despite starting to play in 2006, I didn't get membership until 2012, so that's probably when I had the most "fun" on RuneScape. I could finally access early end-game content, spent a time of time completing my Quest cape, joined the Reddit clan which I was eventually one of the "Overseers" of, and really didn't have to worry about the horrible grind anymore. When I think back to EoC, I didn't necessarily like it, but I did notice how the game started to get much easier around this point. For someone trying to enjoy RS while also maintaining good grades in college, it was the best of both worlds. 

I ended up stopping shortly after Invention came out. I can't believe that was only 2016, it feels like longer than that. But I was seriously limiting my time for a couple years before that anyway. The irony is, the same de-grinding of the game that allowed me access to end-game content, Priffdinas, etc, eventually pushed me away. I remember the grind from 89-99 mining on Seren stones just didn't feel "right" because I was able to shrink my game screen down to about 10x10 pixels and click once every couple minutes through all my classes. Mining was my last 99 and basically the last thing I did in RS before stopping. 

Case in point, I knew I had this picture somewhere. Try and find the Runescape Screen. Nevermind that I was apparently on Reddit in class... that's besides the point. The fact that I could gain 2m mining/xp/day playing Runescape in a tiny window kind of trivialized it for me.

How to scape in classrdt.png