Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Zooey

anyone Read?

I've gone in-and-out of reading phases but am back in it with some David Foster Wallace, I read Murakami's 1Q84 last year and really liked it alongside some nondescript psych books. Anyone else been reading anything good in their free time lately? 

• Like 1

I've been reading Diana Rowland's White Trash Zombie series. Also, some very interesting sex-filled books from Chloe Adler called A Witches Dark Craving. Basically I'm just one of these people that refuses to walk away from YA fantasy. Just finished reading The Dysasters by PC & Kristen Cast who did the House of Night books and Julie Kagawa's The Immortal Rules series.

If anyone has any suggestions for YA fantasy that doesn't shy away from being crass, mildly sexual and humorous, I'm fully in.

A lot of the time I'll read classic novels because at least I know they've been chosen as classics for their quality. My favourite book of all time is The Count Of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas who also wrote The Three Musketeers and The Man in the Iron Mask (coincidentally the Leonardo Di Caprio film is also one of my favourite films). Another one is Victor Hugo, with Les Miserables, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame de Paris and finally, the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fatalysm said:

I've been reading Diana Rowland's White Trash Zombie series. Also, some very interesting sex-filled books from Chloe Adler called A Witches Dark Craving. Basically I'm just one of these people that refuses to walk away from YA fantasy. Just finished reading The Dysasters by PC & Kristen Cast who did the House of Night books and Julie Kagawa's The Immortal Rules series.

If anyone has any suggestions for YA fantasy that doesn't shy away from being crass, mildly sexual and humorous, I'm fully in.

A lot of the time I'll read classic novels because at least I know they've been chosen as classics for their quality. My favourite book of all time is The Count Of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas who also wrote The Three Musketeers and The Man in the Iron Mask (coincidentally the Leonardo Di Caprio film is also one of my favourite films). Another one is Victor Hugo, with Les Miserables, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame de Paris and finally, the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Oh man, a re-read of The Count of Monte Cristo is very high-up on to-do list; I gotta say all the classics I read for school then come back to? I appreciate them so much more. It's a funny phenomena, I disliked being asked questions about them then and basically just read looking for answers, but I'd really like that kind of thing now. I guess that's what growing up is

I know very little of YA fiction, Eragon is basically my only "ha-ha what a fun read" there, but no mild sexuality in that no sir

SIDE NOTE: being able to react to posts with custom emojis like in Slack would be hilarious

Edited by Zooey

I read a lot. I like to jump between genres a lot too. Lately I've been on an astronomy binge, but my last 4 books I've read in terms of scope are very different from each other. Most recent is a memoir from the Holocaust called Man's Search for Meaning, then Mother Night by Vonnegut, then Longitude which was about the discovery of... well longitude, and finally Good to Great about how to build a successful company. 

So I'm all over the place lately. 

My favorite author is Steinbeck. East of Eden is my favorite all-time book, followed by The Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut, and then 11/22/63 by Stephen King. 

I've heard great things about Murakami.. I have Kafka on the Shore on my shelf right now, it's on my to-read list. Infinite Jest is also on that list... maybe I'll have to give Wallace a try. But more immediately I need to read The Grapes of Wrath and Bill Bryson's new book, The Body. There is just never enough time to read though.

currently non fiction history book about the Burgundian dynasty (de Brourgondiërs, Bart Van Loo)

just before:

fables and jack of fables comics (slowly buying them all but stuck on hardcover 7 not being available worldwide)

lucifer the new tpb (not as mind numbing dumb as it's tv adaptation), it's a really good series (sandman spinoff)

and before those what I read and remember reading and what was worth reading:

See Under: Love, by David Grossman

My favorite book is All the King's Men.

Just started The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. First in the Wheel of Time series. Been a while since I've read high fantasy (most recent being ASOIAF 5 years back) and I'm really enjoying it so far. 

I've been rereading a bunch of Isaac Asimov, mainly the original Foundation trilogy and the major novels in his Robot series.

9 hours ago, Young Leo said:

I've been rereading a bunch of Isaac Asimov, mainly the original Foundation trilogy and the major novels in his Robot series.

as far as I'm concerned it's the only asimov work worth reading really

the rest is horribly dated and not so good to begin with

but hurray for the foundation trilogy

12 hours ago, Egghebrecht said:

as far as I'm concerned it's the only asimov work worth reading really

the rest is horribly dated and not so good to begin with

but hurray for the foundation trilogy

Prelude to Foundation and Foundation's Edge I didn't mind, since it somewhat bridged the two series.

But Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth just took it off to the weirdest tangent which completely renders the original trilogy redundant (my biggest gripe is when he retconned the Mule's origins).

21 hours ago, Young Leo said:

Prelude to Foundation and Foundation's Edge I didn't mind, since it somewhat bridged the two series.

But Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth just took it off to the weirdest tangent which completely renders the original trilogy redundant (my biggest gripe is when he retconned the Mule's origins).

yeah, I vaguely remember reading it and going "meh"

I have forgotten pretty much all content about the "expanded" foundation trilogy, I only remember the robots showing up and being behind everything and thinking that was very very dumb

On 2/10/2020 at 9:48 PM, Chaoss said:

I read a lot. I like to jump between genres a lot too. Lately I've been on an astronomy binge, but my last 4 books I've read in terms of scope are very different from each other. Most recent is a memoir from the Holocaust called Man's Search for Meaning, then Mother Night by Vonnegut, then Longitude which was about the discovery of... well longitude, and finally Good to Great about how to build a successful company. 

So I'm all over the place lately. 

My favorite author is Steinbeck. East of Eden is my favorite all-time book, followed by The Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut, and then 11/22/63 by Stephen King. 

I've heard great things about Murakami.. I have Kafka on the Shore on my shelf right now, it's on my to-read list. Infinite Jest is also on that list... maybe I'll have to give Wallace a try. But more immediately I need to read The Grapes of Wrath and Bill Bryson's new book, The Body. There is just never enough time to read though.

Hey I loved The Sirens of Titan, I've been meaning to reread it along with Jailbird. What'd you think of Mother Night? I really like how Vonnegut isn't so verbose and lengthy that it becomes a chore to finish. (here I am, sitting at page ~650 of Infinite Jest)

You guys all have just lengthed my to-read list raaaaaaah Isaac Asimov sounds like a blast though.

Hey <3

Recently read LeBron, Inc.: The Making of a Billion-Dollar Athlete

Hey!! Long time no see!! Admittedly non-fiction is not something I ever pick up, what'd you think of it? is that primarily the content you read? is picking subjects you're naturally interested in the best way to get started there? 

Edited by Zooey

On 2/20/2020 at 10:28 PM, Zooey said:

Hey I loved The Sirens of Titan, I've been meaning to reread it along with Jailbird. What'd you think of Mother Night? I really like how Vonnegut isn't so verbose and lengthy that it becomes a chore to finish. (here I am, sitting at page ~650 of Infinite Jest)

Mother Night was good. I didn't love it as much as others seem to. It gets  ridiculously high remarks from others so maybe I had hyped it up too much in my head before diving into it. 

Still have yet to read Jailbird, as well as Slapstick. Then I think I will have finished all Vonnegut's works.