Sal's RuneScape Forum
Micael Fatia

"Sal's, Sal's never changes...

... but men do, through the roads they walk."
- Me just now, blatantly stealing from Fallout

And my road changed, and took me away from this place I spent so much time in as a teen and a young man.
How long as it been? Probably half a decade only, and yet it feels it's been so much longer.
I came here out of nostalgia, answering a question my future fiancé asked me about how I learned my English. I immediately thought of RuneScape, but more specifically of Sal's and the good times I spent here. The fun people, the drama, the competitions.
Man I did miss this place.

I wonder who's still around or even remembers me? I used to be cool I think. At least that's how I prefer to remember my times here. But I can easily admit looking back without bias that I was also tremendously cringe at some points, and immature beyond words.
I prefer to believe I had a positive impact in this community though, the same way the community impacted me.
Hope you're all faring well, and remain safe in this time of crisis. With the pandemic and all.

Stay well friends. Miss you.

• Like 4

I was just talking about you yesterday with Uther on Runescape.

HI!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Today is my first time logging on in a very long time just reminiscing about all the good times on this forum. I remember all the signature request threads when the guys who were good at Photoshop would make whatever everyone asked for. I thought about the progress bars in my signature too when I was working on 99 Fletching haha! A lot has changed since then it seems. Especially RuneScape itself. It's nothing like the game I use to play. I definitely remember your username, SobendChaoss and EgghebrechtHope all of you are doing well. Any of you guys still play? Moved on to other games?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flames said:

Today is my first time logging on in a very long time just reminiscing about all the good times on this forum. I remember all the signature request threads when the guys who were good at Photoshop would make whatever everyone asked for. I thought about the progress bars in my signature too when I was working on 99 Fletching haha! A lot has changed since then it seems. Especially RuneScape itself. It's nothing like the game I use to play. I definitely remember your username, SobendChaoss and EgghebrechtHope all of you are doing well. Any of you guys still play? Moved on to other games?

Most people don't play anymore, but a few do.  There are essentially two Runescape games now: Runescape 3 and Old School Runescape.  Old School Runescape is based on a 2007 backup of the game, so graphically and in gameplay it's probably what you're familiar with.  Most of the Sals community still around is on RS3 and can be found in the "Sals Realm" clan chat.  Sals OSRSers are not really in an organized community, and the "Salmoneus" friends chat is fairly inactive.

In the past month on Runescape, I've seen three former Sal mods on either Old School or Runescape 3--Metalkon, Sparhawke, and heb0.  Most of the RS3 Sals members still around never were very active on the forums, but a few forumers like Sk8skull, Kesthetic, and wartoc1 still play.  A few people came back to the game during the quarantine. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Flames said:

Hey Flames! I haven't played the scapes in years. I had a bunch of 99s and a lot of wealth on RS3 by the time Old School came out, which I ended up liking more, but starting from scratch just seemed like too much work. I don't have time to grind these days... one of the only reasons I had 99's in RS3 was because it became "EasyScape". 

I miss it though.

I basically play video games one night a week with my buds from home as a way to keep in contact since I moved to another state. We mostly play CS:GO, and we've been stuck at Silver 1-2 for the past 5 years. Recently my fiancee and I got a Switch and I've been playing the hell out of Zelda Breath of the Wild. Amazing game... if my work hours weren't reduced due to coronavirus I'd probably lose sleep over it. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 9:43 PM, Micael Fatia said:

. I used to be cool I think. 

Well, I suppose that means that at least one person thought so! :cute:

• Like 2

On 4/18/2020 at 11:47 PM, Guitarguy said:

you misspelled "Michael" noob

After all these years you are still the same insufferable, annoying and yet lovable all the same Guitarguy who can't get my name right. God damnit! :biggrin:

On 4/19/2020 at 2:28 AM, Sobend said:

I was just talking about you yesterday with Uther on Runescape.

HI!!!!!!!!!

Omg Sobend my dude! How's everything! You are by far one of the people I missed the most. Good times!

On 4/19/2020 at 3:17 PM, Young Leo said:

Hey dude

And who are you, the proud lord said

Leo! So nice to see you're still around! The person who took over my position as the top PvPer here. I missed all the fun stuff we used to do and talk about! Hope you're still kicking butt in the Wilderness.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:51 PM, Chaoss said:

Sup Micael, been a while

Howdy Chaoss! It's amazing you're still around too. I feel you've been here since forever. Part of the furniture!

On 4/20/2020 at 1:58 PM, Egghebrecht said:

old farts ftw

Oh my gosh this dude! How's family life going Eggy? I bet the kid's a young man (or woman, I forgot. Sorry!) now. You gotta tell me how everything's progressing. Soon enough I'll be having a family of my own and any tips would be amazing!

On 4/21/2020 at 4:40 AM, Flames said:

Howdy Flames. Nice to see you popping back for a visit too. :thumbs:

9 hours ago, Yuanrang said:

Well, I suppose that means that at least one person thought so! :cute:

Oh please, like you weren't the moderator who liked me the most and even one of the people around with the most patience with me. Hahaha! Miss you a lot Yuan! You were like a mentor to me here, even if you never took the role. All I wanted was to be a good role model like you were. :biggrin:

• Like 2

Sorry to the people I was unable to give a like to! It seems there's a daily limit or something.

On 4/18/2020 at 2:43 PM, Micael Fatia said:

answering a question my future fiancé

Haha, the image of explaining the hours spent, both playing Runescape and posting here is pretty funny to me. It's insane to think of the content we've all amassed here, I've considered making some kind of web trawler to put together a .zip file to save everything possible. I dunno what Sal would think about that, though; for all I know he's paying by-request or something insane.

Anyhow, we didn't *really* know each other since you were so cool but seeing your influence on everyone was really neat. I know you were looked up to highly by a lot of my friends.

side-note: you've still got that 2014 animated sig! my only claim to fame!

Thoughts about Sal's and its place in our lives:
I really miss GFX and the community here. Instagram pales in comparison to having hundreds of people viewing and criticizing your content. I think that's really what I miss most about Sal's - not just likes, but counterpoints and arguments against what you say, it was a real conversation.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You give me too much credit Zooey. But it's nice to be remembered as more than just an asshat. :tongue:
It's true we didn't interact as much as we could have, but I definitely remember you as being cool too and the person to go to when it came to chill and quality graphics.
And of course I have it! Loved these little underbanners. I showed it to my girlfriend to brag about my nerdy achievements too. Hahaha. :biggrin:
I also remember you serving as some sort of neutral ground between the staff here and the Benno group back during that drama mess. Mainly the only person we could reason with.

Actually fun fact about Benno; years after I quit here I had another brief run at Old School RuneScape. I wasn't active at all, was just in it to join Damage Inc and PvP whenever possible. By then Sal's had already died down so much that I joined RuneScape Community for the Clan Section.
I found out Benno had became a junior moderator of sorts there, and he wrote to me. We got talking about the old drama times, and how bad the whole situation had been. It was really nice to see how he grew up and became a rather cool guy, and helpful member of the RuneScape Community forums before they closed down.
I also know I earned MoTM there and the Exclusive rank because he and PkPete pulled their strings of influence to get people to vote for me.
I miss both of these guys. I never thought I'd say I'd miss Benn0 after all the trouble he caused us. :tongue:

But yeah, it would be really awesome if we could find a way to save everything. These are precious memories. Sal's Realm was part of my childhood and young adulthood far more than RuneScape itself ever was. I owe a lot of what I am today to the experiences and the people here. And some of you guys influenced me more than you possibly imagine. Especially Yuanrang. In a way I was one of his students, even if I never attended any of his classes. :tongue:

Edited by Micael Fatia
Typos

Benno still haunts the Sals Realm clan chat. 

Do you know what Pkpete is doing?

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 10:30 PM, Micael Fatia said:

Oh my gosh this dude! How's family life going Eggy? I bet the kid's a young man (or woman, I forgot. Sorry!) now. You gotta tell me how everything's progressing. Soon enough I'll be having a family of my own and any tips would be amazing!

The kid is almost 6 already

and very much into minecraft atm, which is good because it's hard to keep kids busy during lockdown while you are supposed to work from home...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2020 at 5:40 AM, Flames said:

funny thing, I just reached legend rank in hearthstone yesterday

so yeah moved to other games

haven't played any runescape since that epic leaving drop party

and apparently there is no auto merge anymore

Edited by Egghebrecht
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 10:30 PM, Micael Fatia said:

Oh please, like you weren't the moderator who liked me the most and even one of the people around with the most patience with me. Hahaha! Miss you a lot Yuan! You were like a mentor to me here, even if you never took the role. All I wanted was to be a good role model like you were. :biggrin:

Oh no, you are not allowed to shift blame onto me for you becoming the way you did. Whatever you accomplished, you did on your own. :tongue:

That said, I might have had a soft spot and quite a bit of respect for you, yes... :cute:

I have not had a talk with you for a while. Was it the Final Fantasy XIV trial days, or the Digimon MMO? I cannot remember which was first, or not. Either way, it has been a while. Reading through your replies, it seems like you are doing well, which I think is fantastic to hear. You deserve all the happiness you can find, especially when the world seems set on burning down in panic, hysteria and misinformation.

On 4/24/2020 at 4:02 AM, Zooey said:

Thoughts about Sal's and its place in our lives:
I really miss GFX and the community here. Instagram pales in comparison to having hundreds of people viewing and criticizing your content. I think that's really what I miss most about Sal's - not just likes, but counterpoints and arguments against what you say, it was a real conversation.

At the end of the day, a forum becomes more of a tightly knit community as several sub-groups form. If you take the GFX section as an example, the section became what it was, because of how the users shaped it with their comments and criticism, their standards and otherwise interactions. I cannot call myself a graphical artist, or even artistically inclined, but I did learn some basic pointers on how to work with a few programs that is currently helping me change and design stuff in one of my hobbies. It is real basic work, but I do not think I would have done it unless I had not ever joined Sal's. I do believe the GFX section opened a lot of doors and sparked interest within a lot of people, so.. it is funny to think back to how a forum can change lives. Social media, or even communities such as reddit, is very impersonal in comparison. I think the closest thing I can think of that compares are Discord groups, but even they run the risk of being way too large at times.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2020 at 9:08 PM, Sobend said:

Benno still haunts the Sals Realm clan chat. 

Do you know what Pkpete is doing?

He does? In like a methaphorical manner, or he actually still trolls it?
That's really odd. He did apologise to me about much of his behavior and I thought he had gotten over it. If he's still causing trouble I legit suggest looking into the possibility of impersonators trying to troll by pretending to be his old-self. I did have some real nice talks with him, so I'd be really shocked if he had gotten back to causing trouble.
Like when people used to impersonate old trolls from here for the laughs.

I was in PKPete's team too during my time with DI. The Red Army. Consisted of mainly old 3x and DDB members. They closed down now, and the remaining members joined some other team. But Pete occasionally writes on the Red Army Discord, even if not very often.

8 hours ago, Egghebrecht said:

The kid is almost 6 already

and very much into minecraft atm, which is good because it's hard to keep kids busy during lockdown while you are supposed to work from home...

That's amazing. How time flies. Will you ever introduce them to RuneScape? :laugh:

7 hours ago, Yuanrang said:

Oh no, you are not allowed to shift blame onto me for you becoming the way you did. Whatever you accomplished, you did on your own. :tongue:

That said, I might have had a soft spot and quite a bit of respect for you, yes... :cute:

I have not had a talk with you for a while. Was it the Final Fantasy XIV trial days, or the Digimon MMO? I cannot remember which was first, or not. Either way, it has been a while. Reading through your replies, it seems like you are doing well, which I think is fantastic to hear. You deserve all the happiness you can find, especially when the world seems set on burning down in panic, hysteria and misinformation.

Maybe! But I definitely learned a lot from you. It always shocked me how most of the forum was unable to see how often you took the fall for plenty of moderator actions and mistakes you weren't to blame for, just so the rest of the team didn't have to take the blame. I know being the villain was part of it, but all the same it always felt so unfair.
To me that definitely was part of the reason why you were the best moderator here, as you were always taking responsibilities that weren't your own just so others would have it easy. I wasn't blind to this. And during my brief time as DM and clan chat moderator I tried to do the same. Play the role of villain so that my fellow moderators could have it easier.

Yeah! I remember these talks. I think the Digimon one was first, then FF. :tongue:
I don't play either nowadays anymore. Whenever I have some time to play MMOs I usually focus on ESO. Damn it is soooo good. I love the lore.
It's really something when I was struggling with some problems I spoke with you about I couldn't help but ask for your advice, even thought I had quit Sal's and RuneScape for a considerable time. I still valued immensely your advice, and it really did help.
Not sure I ever properly thanked you for that, but you know... thanks Yuan.

Edited by Micael Fatia
Typos and missing words

Posted (edited)

Hey Micael! I definitely remember you, and most of the others in this thread! It's a long time since I've been on Sals, though I spent a bit of time playing Oldschool Runescape recently. I certainly remember you as a positive member of the community and as a friend. It's amazing the amount of content we all have on here - very cringe-producing to have such a well-documented account of our younger selves.

I don't remember much of the Benno episode, but I do remember Macky, another controversial member. The amount of drama that played out here is quite remarkable - though most of the time it was of course a wonderfully calm and pleasant place to be.

Edited by Mano
  • Like 1

holy heck it's you

:wub:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mano said:

Hey Micael! I definitely remember you, and most of the others in this thread! It's a long time since I've been on Sals, though I spent a bit of time playing Oldschool Runescape recently. I certainly remember you as a positive member of the community and as a friend. It's amazing the amount of content we all have on here - very cringe-producing to have such a well-documented account of our younger selves.

I don't remember much of the Benno episode, but I do remember Macky, another controversial member. The amount of drama that played out here is quite remarkable - though most of the time it was of course a wonderfully calm and pleasant place to be.

Mano! It's been so long! We were definitely friends. In fact, you're one of the first friends I made here! :wub:

I remember Macki. And not for good reasons. I can say I've never been one to hold grudges for long, and Benn0 is a perfect example of it. He was very difficult to deal with, possibly the most difficult troll to deal with in the history of Sal's Realm, and even he had some redeeming qualities and turned out an alright fellow who grew up in the end.
But Macki? One of the very few people, alongside vBreaker I'm unable to think of fondly in any shape or form.
I remember how he grew in popularity because of his Skill Log, and then turned into a massive tool with a group of followers almost like a cult. He'd treat anybody who disagreed with him like utter garbage, for the great crime of having disagreed with him. We clashed for the first time when he went to Sal's chat - back when I was an immature nobody, years before I became a moderator - just to bully Dj Gavriel with his little crew of supporters.
Then he grew an obsession with me and stole pictures from here and faked emails to impersonate me on MSN. Cringe.
I remember it so well. I also remember how you leaked to me a lot of stuff he was doing in my name, and posting in his forums after he got banned here. I was able to do a lot of damage control thanks to you. :ice:

It's amazing how much petty drama we had. :laugh:

1 hour ago, Arianna said:

holy heck it's you

:wub:

Omg who let this guy in :wub:
I thought a lot about you not that long ago too! It really made me sad when Portugal won the European and I couldn't find you to brag about it :xd:

Guys ya'll should add me on Facebook or Discord or something.

Edited by Micael Fatia
Reworded a lot of stuff for clarity

Blast from the past. You can see how much I liked Macki in this post from 2008. :xd:
Ahhh all my angst and terrible grammar.

XVPWKXx.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Micael Fatia said:

Blast from the past. You can see how much I liked Macki in this post from 2008. :xd:
Ahhh all my angst and terrible grammar.

XVPWKXx.png

You've sent me down a rather embarrassing rabbit hole of looking at my old posts. I was about 13-14 at the time so I suppose that's a bit of an excuse.

• Like 1