Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fatalysm

Assassins Creed

Wanted to know if anyone was still playing AC Odyssey and what people think of the new and upcoming AC Valhalla?

I completed (in the vaguest sense) AC Odyssey a couple of years ago, but some of the lads at work started playing again about a month ago. I decided it was time to join them and away I went. At first I was disappointed to find out I’d deleted my save but figured I may as well go ahead and play and change my decisions in the game for a different outcome.

Now I’ve completed the main storyline once, gone to new game plus and I’m on a mission. Currently level 90 (of 99). I’ve completed every location on the main map, next up will be side quests. I’ve also got Atlantis and all of the DLC to complete, so I’m looking forward to that.

The game obviously has its problems and at this point I can safely say, I’ve potentially logged more than 100 hours and definitely see things I’d wish they’d done better. But what amazes me is the quality, the graphical standard on the PS4 and it’s replay-ability. On my first go around with this game mid 2019, I had achieved the main storyline and that was as far as I wanted to go, I can’t remember if I’d even levelled past 50. I remember picking it up without even looking at reviews, trailers or anything. It was merely there as something to buy in the playstation store.

Honestly if you’ve never played Odyssey I highly recommend you pick it up. Although I would advise that whilst it does have Assassins Creed as it’s title, it could not really be further away from the rest of the franchise.

Consider it a love letter to Ancient Greece and its mythology. With a few smatterings of ISU technology and a lot of RPG elements.

The combat is fairly similar in some respects to what I remember of old AC games, but having said that, there is a variety of enemy type and these enemies aren’t taking it in turns to kill you. Combat is based on a skill tree of abilities you can unlock and fighting is largely based on how you want to play. For someone who sucks at timing a parry and dodging, I’ve opted for heavy weaponry up close but leave most things to my trusty bow to sort out.

Anyhow, are you excited for Valhalla? I’m personally buzzing for the possibilities, hoping that I see some changes that Odyssey desperately needed.

If we are getting camps/forts again, I’d love more variation in the maps. I’m sick of seeing the same layout everywhere I go. If we get the mercenary system again, let’s make it more than just “this bounty hunter is tracking you”. I want it based more around what Shadow of Mordor has. If they kill you, they ascend the ranks and insult you the next time around!

Conquest battles either need to disappear or you have to make them worthwhile! If the outcome of the battle makes no difference to anything, it makes it pointless to do them. If you want to do conquest battles right, have the vikings battle the English for settlements. Leave a settlement for too long and the English will reclaim it. Make it so that there is a reason to keep pushing. The story can’t advance until x amount of land has been claimed, just something more!

The last thing, which is so important... Give us back some more Assassins Creed! The hidden blade is back. Don’t let this become Skyrim 2.0!

No idea who I was addressing this too, but hey, you made it!

Posted (edited)

Odyssey was fun but mentally draining. I liked both DLC's for the most part, and I'm glad they kept the present day Assassins vs. Templar story to a minimum.

Really looking forward to Valhalla

EDIT: And then this happened: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-24-assassins-creed-valhalla-creative-director-steps-down

Edited by Young Leo

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.