Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Adam?

ELDEN RING

I think the best question about the Open World is... is it a massive world? Does it feel empty with lots of travelling, or do you actually feel there are stuff to see, find and fight despite there not being side objectives littered around everywhere? :ohmy: 

8 hours ago, Yuanrang said:

I think the best question about the Open World is... is it a massive world? Does it feel empty with lots of travelling, or do you actually feel there are stuff to see, find and fight despite there not being side objectives littered around everywhere? :ohmy: 

It's huge and dense. You can fast travel everywhere. There are no waypoints aside from 1) markers you put on the map yourself and 2) vague directional suggestions that this games bonfires supply to show you what direction to go to follow the traditional story path. It's handled very well. I feel like I'm constantly missing exciting content because you need to actually explore and find the optional dungeons / secrets for yourself.

Also riding around on Torrent is so fun. You can double jump on a horse!!

6 hours ago, Adam? said:

It's huge and dense. You can fast travel everywhere. There are no waypoints aside from 1) markers you put on the map yourself and 2) vague directional suggestions that this games bonfires supply to show you what direction to go to follow the traditional story path. It's handled very well. I feel like I'm constantly missing exciting content because you need to actually explore and find the optional dungeons / secrets for yourself.

Also riding around on Torrent is so fun. You can double jump on a horse!!

That genuinely sounds like a take on Open Worlds that I will enjoy. I know Dragon Age: Inquisition to some extent tried it, but the world was so barren and hollow, it was just pointless. I want that Skyrim experience, just without really any quest logs or markers sending me in all directions. Just run around in the world and discover new stuff, and from the way you explain it, Elden Ring seems to be that kind of a game. :biggrin: 

2 minutes ago, Yuanrang said:

That genuinely sounds like a take on Open Worlds that I will enjoy. I know Dragon Age: Inquisition to some extent tried it, but the world was so barren and hollow, it was just pointless. I want that Skyrim experience, just without really any quest logs or markers sending me in all directions. Just run around in the world and discover new stuff, and from the way you explain it, Elden Ring seems to be that kind of a game. :biggrin: 

Honestly it's the game I've always wanted to be made. You'll love it. Please play it and nerd out with me 

On 2/15/2022 at 4:14 PM, Yuanrang said:

[ ... ] As for Elden Ring, I am not overly hyped about it, simply because I cannot play it right away. [ ... ]

Honestly, this was me reading posts about it, but hearing y'alls reactions has me bummed I'm missing release! I'm out of town for a week similarly.

I'll check out your vods @Adam? while I'm working remote on my laptop. Anyone following any good youtube channels playing it? I subscribed to LobosJr for DS1/DS2 absurd/randomized playthroughs but haven't logged into my youtube account in a few months in meaningless protest to FAANG  :pirate2:

2 hours ago, Adam? said:

Honestly it's the game I've always wanted to be made. You'll love it. Please play it and nerd out with me 

After coming out of the most horrendous Dota 2 game where we end up back and forth for an hour, we lose because one guy goes AFK for 2 minutes just as the final clash happens. Yeah, I almost went and just bought the damn game. :xd: 

That said, I am genuinely too absorbed in Hitman 3 at the moment to be able to properly head off and do Elden Ring at the moment. After that, I imagine I am doing Pillars of Eternity 2, or something. :cute: 

I want to play Elden Ring, but the problem is, there is a ton of other games I do want to play too, and since time does not allow me to progress through my library fast, things end up in back logs. :sad: 

Just dropping in to remind everyone that this is one of my favorite games of all time and could be my new top game ever. Just need to see how it ends. :-)

I am still wildly surprised that people have not turned on it and criticised it heavily after the initial "Wow-phase" dies out. I guess it is just a masterpiece then. :tongue: 

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2022 at 4:26 PM, Yuanrang said:

I am still wildly surprised that people have not turned on it and criticised it heavily after the initial "Wow-phase" dies out. I guess it is just a masterpiece then. :tongue: 

I can't get it out of my head. I'm constantly delighted by new things I discover and I know I'm missing the majority of the games content because there's so much of it. My only real complaint is that I think From's more passive approach to questline progression doesn't work as well in a massive open world, which they even admitted when they added NPC locations to the map in a patch. 

The next step for me will be combining AI Dungeon and Elden Ring. Keep the main content as the perfectly crafted epic that it is, but I would love within the next 5-10 years having procedurally generated optional dungeons / bosses. 

Edited by Adam?

I suppose a middleground between Elden Ring and Ubisoft-style open-world games might be the way to go then. In some ways, it is a shame that open-world games became so popular, because exceptionally few games get it right, and it ends up dictating how the game ends up. 

That said, I am still wildly curious and excited about trying Elden Ring down the road. It sounds like a game I would love a lot. :biggrin:

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.