Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

The Wilderness is to be Removed

And this time, people celebrate it!

In Runescape 3, Jagex recently announced the wilderness would be "opt-in" PvP, which--from what I can tell--only people who want to fight others will be attackable. This means the wilderness has essentially turned into some type of duel arena. The "road map" revealing this is below, with an implementation date in the autumn of 2022. I

I've never seen better evidence of the changing game than this. I can't help remember the return of the wilderness in 2011 and how it was the return to normal until EOC. Many of you do not play as frequently -- what are your thoughts?

The newspost on the subject is here: https://secure.runescape.com/m=newsmeet-the-new-ep--roadmap-revealed#_ga=2.37918883.1295108124.1651021041-1465116817.1651021041.

(It only appears in the picture).

image.png

• Like 1

Opt-in PvP sounds like the type of Wilderness I would like. I never was in it much in RS3, but I spent a good bit of time in it in OSRS. I don't know if RS3 balances the Wilderness as high risk/high reward like OSRS does, but I'd imagine any "Wilderness bosses" or activities in RS3 would need to be rebalanced if the threat of PvP was eliminated. 

Interested to see if this has any impact on OSRS. That game just had a huge PvP poll fail yesterday. 

I think the major selling point to the Wilderness was that it was an area with clear benefits, and a risk attached to it. If you crossed the border, especially after they created the ditch, you had mentally prepared yourself for PvP. There were clearly benefits in traversing deep into the Wilderness, but for the most part, it was all about accepting the risk.

If they remove the risk, then I do not see the point in it being called the Wilderness anymore, or even it being a PVP area. I think the Wilderness was a fairly wonderful area, because it was so unique to RuneScape. Its removal to combat Real-World-Trading was such a massive blow to the identity of RuneScape for players like me that craved PvP, and it seems to me that JaGEx never really knew what to do with the zone. Something like this just reinforces that belief.

• Like 1

Agree with Yuan; the area had clear benefits that had risks attached to getting those benefits. Old School Runescape still has this, and it works. I recently went to the wilderness agility course and got some significant XP gains but was player killed about 40 minutes in.

At this point, Runescape 3 is so broken that these new changes aren't anything. The changes they made over a decade ago dismantled and alienated their players. Since then, they've continued down that path with no real effort to fix anything since Old School.

You can abuse bonds for gp. I understand that it was a tactic to stop real-world trading, but compared to their absolute hard no stance. It's allowing players to pay to win.

The gambling game in RS3, allows you to buy all your XP from lamps or get stored bonus XP or many other perks. You can buy your way to 99 with lamps. That's so far removed from what they wanted at the start.

EOC changed combat significantly and alienated players. You learn and grow with a style, and they change it, and now you have this weird state of play where some players are full EOC, some play old style, or you have a mix.

The fact that I am levelled up 80 in dungeoneering and divination, 63 in invention and 60 in archaeology should tell that the game is broken. I couldn't tell you anything much about dungeoneering. Im 63 in invention for some reason. I know very little about it. Divination, I think I spammed the levels up somewhere with bonus XP. Archaeology I levelled when it came out, but again, I can't tell you anything about that skill.

The sad part is, I probably have around 250k bonus experience in most skills. I went to the gambling thing to test out my theory. I went and spent money on the game, and when I realised how broken the game was, I stopped playing. There's no fun in a game that can be cheesed like that.

I say that the wilderness changes mean nothing. Opt PVP is fine, but the game is already broken at it's core.

• Like 1