Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
King Mic

No Man's Sky

Posted (edited)

Surely most here have heard of this game. Was a big deal a few years ago, it had spectacular ads for the game which created lots of hype and expectations... only to turn into a Major (capital M) disappointment. Went from a game everyone expected to win all yearly awards, to disappointment of the year.
That is, of course, until the dev team sat down and actually began working on how to fix it. Consistent updates, upgrades and bug fixes turned it into a gem of a game and undid most of the sins the release version was guilty of.

It's quite the fun game to play nowadays, which I do play occasionally. I enjoy massively the entire space travel and exploration concept, and was wondering if anyone else here played and would like to share anything about their adventures and discoveries.
Maybe even tips or suggestions as I'm pretty newbie. I've only recently (month or two ago) got into it, despite actually having pre-ordered the game. I am one of the many who gave up on the game immediately after the release, when it was very sub-par.

Edited by Micael Fatia

Well, I heard of it, and also how they have done a steady redemption effort to actually make the game playable and enjoyable. It is one of those games that is on my Steam wishlist, but with its cost being extremely high, I will not be buying it any time soon.

It is not really my type of game either though. These open world/survival-style games are super fun, but then you do something repetitive too long to finish a goal, and then you get burned out, and exploration loses its luster. :sad: 

I have it but I struggle to ever really get going with it. The crafting system is a bit overwhelming and it seems like there's a high bar just to build an initial base and survive. I like the concept of a massive universe open sandbox, but I don't like crafting systems in basically any game. If I stick with it do you get to a point where there are fewer hoops to jump through if I just want to explore the world?

Absolutely amazing game - I jumped in a couple years after the initial hype train with a friend and we had a hell of a time exploring together. We found that it's mostly what you make of it. It's an absolutely MASSIVE game, but you don't need to do everything, and you're not pressured into doing anything. 

Full disclosure, Steam says I last played about 4 years ago, so things have definitely changed. Maybe it got more intense, but I spent many a night exploring No Man's Sky. 

On 7/12/2022 at 3:51 PM, Yuanrang said:

Well, I heard of it, and also how they have done a steady redemption effort to actually make the game playable and enjoyable. It is one of those games that is on my Steam wishlist, but with its cost being extremely high, I will not be buying it any time soon.

It is not really my type of game either though. These open world/survival-style games are super fun, but then you do something repetitive too long to finish a goal, and then you get burned out, and exploration loses its luster. :sad: 

Totally understandable. It's very exciting at first when you're experiencing things for the first time, but it does definitely become overly repetitive.
You always reach a point it stops feelings exciting discovering new planets, as they look similar to others you've found before even if they're still unique. The star-ships(s)/base(s) customization etc aren't that advanced enough to keep you entertained for long.
Like, it sounds like I'm bashing the game but it's important to reiterate it's a really good game with lots to do, just not everybody's cup o' tea. Sadly I feel I've gotten a bit bored of it already, but there's a new update coming soon so who knows.

On 7/12/2022 at 6:04 PM, Adam? said:

I have it but I struggle to ever really get going with it. The crafting system is a bit overwhelming and it seems like there's a high bar just to build an initial base and survive. I like the concept of a massive universe open sandbox, but I don't like crafting systems in basically any game. If I stick with it do you get to a point where there are fewer hoops to jump through if I just want to explore the world?

True. The first few steps are a nightmare, but then it becomes infinitely times easier the moment you establish a good base. Once you're there admittedly crafting never gets much easier, but at least gathering what you need for the things you want to make stops being a nuisance for the most part.

On 7/16/2022 at 5:43 AM, Chaoss said:

Absolutely amazing game - I jumped in a couple years after the initial hype train with a friend and we had a hell of a time exploring together. We found that it's mostly what you make of it. It's an absolutely MASSIVE game, but you don't need to do everything, and you're not pressured into doing anything. 

Full disclosure, Steam says I last played about 4 years ago, so things have definitely changed. Maybe it got more intense, but I spent many a night exploring No Man's Sky. 

It's very entertaining, but it does feel a bit like it lacks a proper goal. That's kind of the point of the game though, so it's not a very solid negative aspect.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.