Sal's RuneScape Forum
Matthew

Official Wow Thread

Yeah farming honor is really boring.

On another note, blizzard really needs to give us helms and shoulders. Seriously I have a bunch of 378s but only my shoulders are the ZA shoulders (my helm would be too but I have engineering). I have ran BoT and BWD alot and no shoulders have dropped from me. It's just stupid, I wish blizzard would just let us buy shoulders/helms with jp....

end of rant

On the PTR (so take with a grain of salt) the new dungeon "End Time" drops 378 ilvl gear. It's also kinda early to judge but this new dungeon doesn't have the same narrative epicness that the LK dungeons had.

At least now I know I can pull off Zul'Aman and Zul'Gurub.

DPS was whining first time I was doing it, healer was happy that I managed to hold aggro x.x. Meh.

healer was happy that I managed to hold aggro x.x. Meh.

Aggro with the recent changes should really not be a problem at all. Focus purely on survivability

Aggro with the recent changes should really not be a problem at all. Focus purely on survivability

I got called into the third boss, the last tank couldn't :(.

I got called into the third boss, the last tank couldn't :(.

As in you joined the group on third boss? I'm not exactly sure how good your gear is but since you're saying you've just started ZA/ZG I'm going to assume you're in mostly 346's and some 359 JP gear? So you should be keeping threat fine and by sounds of it you are. Blizz massively buffed threat generation in a build up to changing the mechanics of tanking but since they haven't changed it yet it's just become a lot easier for the moment.

The last tank must've been pretty bad.

I'm Healing Lead of a casual social guild now and before the Firelands nerfs we were struggling on Betha'lic due to an inconsistent roster, lack of ability to sustain the HPS/DPS required... and now....on our 2nd week raiding since the nerfs, we got Majordomo down.

I must say I am disappointed with the extensive nerfs. :D We took 18 stacks on the first scorpion phase and we honestly could have pushed 2 more if I could rely on Divine Guardian and Tranquility. I was reading up about how raids had to plan cooldowns and then when it came to it, my druid just refused to listen, and my prot pally refused to put Divine Guardian on his bars. :P

Either way taking 18 stacks compared to the 6/9 pre-nerf is just woooww... Ragnaros better be a challenge, I don't want to forever be killing nerfed stuff. :(

Focus purely on survivability
Amen. Having to Flash Heal a tank who doesn't know how to pop CDs on Alyrazor when he has Gushing Wound and Tantrum sucks :D CDs are meant to be used often to mitigate spike damage, that distinguishes the good tanks from the not-so-good. :D Edited by Un0

Ragnaros better be a challenge, I don't want to forever be killing nerfed stuff. :(

As I've said: You will be killing nerfed stuff forever if you keep being in casual guilds/groups, unless you do LFRaid frequently upon release.

It's simply because you're playing with very poor players if they can't even save a cooldown for a specific thing which you have agreed to do beforehand. Groups with multiple people like that are just frankly incapable of doing good progress because they're inherrently not cut out to be that skilled. :D

So I've been 85 for a while now... and I have a pretty decent item level... decent enough for most of the bosses in firelands I'd say.. around 368 equipped. (BTW i finally got the 359 shoulders from NEF!)

But PUGs always fail for me. I've only down Shannox once and we were just really lucky.

The thing is I need a guild. I can't really seem to find one. I want one that raids firelands and stuff. Every invitation I get is to some laid back levelling guild. I actually want to raid. How do I go about joining a raiding guild? Ask on worldofwarcraft.com server forums?

I was originally invited to a real life friend's, then jumped because of drama and used the guild finder.

It's a laid back one that actually does give raids a try when people have time, inconsistent schedules for everyone makes it hard to practice, like I can't OT it because it's done on Thursdays when I have class.

I was originally invited to a real life friend's, then jumped because of drama and used the guild finder.

It's a laid back one that actually does give raids a try when people have time, inconsistent schedules for everyone makes it hard to practice, like I can't OT it because it's done on Thursdays when I have class.

Yea I had one exactly like that and it seemed a little do disorganized for me. I want one with a schedule, because right now im spending too much time in WoW sitting around in SW lookin for raids :( I want to get on at 5:30, do a few hours of raid, get epic lewtz, and log out.

I tried the guild finder but no luck... Some guilds have applications required on their website?

Yea I had one exactly like that and it seemed a little do disorganized for me. I want one with a schedule, because right now im spending too much time in WoW sitting around in SW lookin for raids :( I want to get on at 5:30, do a few hours of raid, get epic lewtz, and log out.

I tried the guild finder but no luck... Some guilds have applications required on their website?

Good luck finding a guild that raids at 5:30. 99% of guilds these days (be it US or EU servers), raid between 7pm at 2am, at least on teh servers I've played on (2 PvE servers, 1PvP server and 1 PvPRP server).

On another note, thinking of rolling a Rogue next and make it a pure PvP character.

On another note, thinking of rolling a Rogue next and make it a pure PvP character.

That's what I'm doing on http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/medivh/Dissipation/

Only downside from doing PvP exclusively is that I'm always behind the curve with gear. I can't even really afford greens because both of my 85's are horde, and greens are always ridiculously high priced on my server. I'm thinking about spending one bracket questing and doing dungeons, and then using the next bracket for PvP.

And yeah. Level 45 with 'the Explorer' and Black War Bear. I have no idea what I was thinking.

And thanks for the suggestions Balmung. I took a few of them, and I think it looks a bit better. I still show my action bars and max health, but I just can't get used to not having those.

And thanks for the suggestions Balmung. I took a few of them, and I think it looks a bit better. I still show my action bars and max health, but I just can't get used to not having those.

I haven't redone my UI the past few patches, but this is what I'm using at the moment.

1jrr4x.jpg

So guild ran some old raids for trans gear and for the lulz, first one was Kara which I wasn't gonna go to but did anyways.

1siiwy.jpg

Glad I did :wizard:

Just hit level 80. I heard 80-85 is really fast?

You can do it in a day (it's really really fast)

Ragnaros better be a challenge, I don't want to forever be killing nerfed stuff. :P

You'll be in for a treat then!

Here's hoping! The night we downed Majordomo (lol nerfs... seriously still bummed about how we could have pushed 20 stacks for lulz but I guess only my bff warr tank and I want to push stuff that stresses everyone else :D ) we past P1 on Ragnaros. P1 was rocky because yeah, druid healer failing at lava waves ftw and then failing at dispelling the DoT and thus buying a silver of a chance at living. Meant that during the transition (once we went though 5 *stupid* wipes caused by stupid melee doubling up on Sons of Flame) during the aoe damage, people dropped like flies. :(

Admittedly I need to use PW: Barrier a lot more and I need to drill my resto shaman in using Spirit Link totem more too. :P It's just that, honestly, with the nerfs, it's not really needed :D It's not like my raid's skill level miraculously jumped.

:D Still, Raganros, may he take at least 2 nights to down... /pray. I want some challenge because frankly, this guild will never see hardmodes, we struggled way too much on normal pre-nerf when we waltzed in with 3pc t12. :D

Sometimes that's not a bad thing. Frankly speaking, as officer in a casual guild, we only started getting somewhatconsistent scheduled raids running(I wish the roster would be stable lol!) when we got a lil bit more "serious" and "hardcore".

Many guilds have "an application form" just because, but those who actually put in thought into their forms and actually put in effort in reading the apps they get tend to be guilds with established schedules and structures. Yes its more "serious" but then your entertainment time should be enjoyed - why not be a wee bit more "serious" and get a better chance of finding a guild you'd like? :D Actually when I recruit healers, I don't have them fill an app, but I do a couple of dungeons with the potential recruit and some reliable guildmates. We all are in Vent during the run too and try to talk naturally as though the potential recruit is already one of us. That way, we get s feel for their personality and they get a feel of our social atmosphere and see if they like us.

Some don't like us enough to join - they like us, but we aren't handcore enough etc That's fine, with their permission, our raid leader adds them to Friends so if we need to fill a spot and they're free and willing or free on an alt, they can join us. Tided us for weeks over until my usual 50% attendance 3rd healer returned and I had a stable healing team again. :D

So you will have a lower chance of getting nonsense like people complaining because of raids being canceled due to lack of people meeting basic gear requirements, and then when you finally have the numbers, raid drama because the tank and his package deal wife decided they'd waltz on an hour late without telling anyone than expect you to boot pugs who got saved to your run. :D

Yes it may feel a bit "omg so srz?" to have to fill an application...but think of it this way, this is your chance to know about them, and them to know about you. With guild perks and guild reputation, guild-hopping is less desirable nowadays so obviously you'd want to have a clearer picture on whether they are a good fit for you too right? :P

Edited by Un0

Pretty much stopped playing for a while, but I'll just offer another opinion to Un0's. I was in a fairly hardcore guild, 6/7 heroic well before the nerfs, pretty strict recruitment wise but within the guild much less 'hardcore' than many similar guilds. We raid 25 mans, where I guess Un0 does 10s? Our raid schedule was Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday and Monday, 7-10 GMT (12 hour raid week). These hours are fairly strict, they may start 5 minutes late or have an extra try past 10, but in general they're very accurate.

The application process is quite strict. We accepted 3 out of the last 17 applications. If your application is accepted, you then undergo a 'trial' period where you'll be given (usually limited) raiding, usually 'farm nights' - this means bosses we've killed before, as opposed to progression nights for new bosses. After the nerfs, they've basically been doing 6/7 heroic on Wednesday, and the end of Wednesday + the other 3 days for Ragnaros HC progress. People may be swapped in and out between the end of farm and beginning of progress on Wednesday, as we can be a bit nicer on who we let in for farm. Progression requires a fairly strict group. Apart from playing your class well and general raid awareness, many fights have specific class/role requirements - for some examples, Beth'tilac required 7 healers where we use 4 for Ragnaros; Elemental Shamans and Balance druids are excellent for Ragnaros as they knock back the Sons of Flame, Shannox needed arcane mages for us to break the face rage, etc.

Your actual application is a mixture of questions. We'll ask some basic things, like class, spec, willingness to change spec to fit the raid (You'll be viewed much more favourably if you can fill different roles), etc. There are then other questions such as the addons you use, and why, as well as asking for a description of your 'rotation' or spell selection, a picture of your UI, a WoL (an uploaded combat log so we can see your performance). We also ask for your previous guilds and progression, both during current tiers and previous. As mentioned above, specific classes and specs are much more important at a higher level of raiding, so your application's outcome will greatly depend on our needs at the time. You're also not going to get in unless you have at least a few heroic bosses down. People who are serious about joining are expected to put a fair bit of time into their application (Mine was about a thousand words).

People will then read the application, asking more in depth questions about your rotation, ui, analyzing your combatlogs, etc. Officers also discuss the application in officerchat, and all 4 of our officers need to agree before the application is accepted and the applicant is invited for a trial.

It may seem like a lot to do for a game, but, chances are if you don't have to undergo some application process the people you get raiding won't be as good - and the raiding won't go so well.

Well, maybe not a day...

But it does go by extremely fast and I was kinda disappointed way back when when i first leveled to 85.

Well, maybe not a day...

But it does go by extremely fast and I was kinda disappointed way back when when i first leveled to 85.

Was done within 12 hours of cata coming out. ;d (And that's a friend of mine, not being boosted.)

It may seem like a lot to do for a game, but, chances are if you don't have to undergo some application process the people you get raiding won't be as good - and the raiding won't go so well.

...and this, ladies and gentlemen, is as true as it can get.

The only exception to this is 10man guilds created by friends with an insanely tight core of high-end raiders/PvPers that take in friends/aquaintances/former guildies in the past and use those as a way to expand or rejuvenate the guild, and such guilds are rare, I've only seen two of those in the year that I played, and I was in one of 'em.

If you want to be in a serious guild, you're expected to make a lot of effort into it. For instance: You'll have to write a solid application. You then will either be asked about your application or basic questions, although I was in a guild that ended up doing the VoIP interview approach after the application because they wanted to check if I had the knowledge or if I was finding it on theorypages before posting.

Other than that, in serious guilds, expect to at least go through a trial period, have plenty of consumables in case something happens, always be preparred, be outside the instance before the raid-time, have your stuff in order and all that.

It's basically a lot more responsibility in trade for more efficient progress, mostly everything Mano said applies. It's all about efficiency :D

.... as for 80-85, it'll take a few days for the first time unless you no-life it on a day. Most serious players did it in one day the first time, and you can still do it, but assuming you play a fair amount (but not no-life it) on a day, it'll take 2 or 3 days I guess.

I think I can go do the 80-82 in about 1.5-2 hours, not quite sure. Probably less if fully rested, I've never really timed it but those two levels are INSANELY fast.

84-85 always end up taking about 3 hours at 3M exp/h when zerging through Grim Batol normal on fully rested. So let's say those levels take 5 hours. I'm guessing 82-83 and 83-84 might take 2-3 hours each, depending on your speed and such. So up to 10 hours, which isn't that bad. It's a seriously easy grind, don't be mistaken. :(

quick question is questing or using dung finder faster xp at lvl 73(assuming insta queue due to tanking)

quick question is questing or using dung finder faster xp at lvl 73(assuming insta queue due to tanking)

Dungeons if you have guild perks (+20%), heirlooms and a guild group (guild group because while you don't gain increased exp, you'll be getting rep and guild exp of your guild still needs leveling. Plus since you're a tank, pocket healer and dps ftw). :D

Other than that, in serious guilds, expect to at least go through a trial period, have plenty of consumables in case something happens, always be preparred, be outside the instance before the raid-time, have your stuff in order and all that.

It's basically a lot more responsibility in trade for more efficient progress, mostly everything Mano said applies. It's all about efficiency

I bear with the pointless wipes in mine (else I'd turn into Angry Raid Leader ala Onyxia Wipe video :P )because I have full consumables and repairs paid for. :D Not enchants (not that I win rolls anyway, I swear if we use EPGP or any loot system, I'd be so much better geared lol) but gems are usually covered and so will the crafted boots when it finally becomes my turn (I'm cheap, cbf to farm gold with 2 hours relaxation time on weekdays only :D )

But agreed totally on the efficiency. Only did one HM when it was somewhat current... H BQL lol :(

Edited by Un0

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.