Sal's RuneScape Forum
Matthew

Official Wow Thread

quick question is questing or using dung finder faster xp at lvl 73(assuming insta queue due to tanking)

Dungeons if you have guild perks (+20%), heirlooms and a guild group (guild group because while you don't gain increased exp, you'll be getting rep and guild exp of your guild still needs leveling. Plus since you're a tank, pocket healer and dps ftw). :P

Other than that, in serious guilds, expect to at least go through a trial period, have plenty of consumables in case something happens, always be preparred, be outside the instance before the raid-time, have your stuff in order and all that.

It's basically a lot more responsibility in trade for more efficient progress, mostly everything Mano said applies. It's all about efficiency

I bear with the pointless wipes in mine (else I'd turn into Angry Raid Leader ala Onyxia Wipe video :D )because I have full consumables and repairs paid for. :D Not enchants (not that I win rolls anyway, I swear if we use EPGP or any loot system, I'd be so much better geared lol) but gems are usually covered and so will the crafted boots when it finally becomes my turn (I'm cheap, cbf to farm gold with 2 hours relaxation time on weekdays only :D )

But agreed totally on the efficiency. Only did one HM when it was somewhat current... H BQL lol :(

first toon so no heirlooms :D

quick question is questing or using dung finder faster xp at lvl 73(assuming insta queue due to tanking)

A: Are you decently geared (read: Green BoE blacksmithing cobalt tank set) for Cata content?

B: Are you a good tank? (read: not good at surviving, every tank is good at surviving when leveling, are you good at zerg-pulling?)

C: Do you have guild experience boosts?

Actually, even with C being a no, the dungeons are far faster if you have rested experience. I seem to recall Halls of Stone being particularily great for experience when you get there, I seem to recall pulling my druid, warrior and death knight (all tanks) through that instance regularily for a fast 800k experience/hour gain minimum, which is far more than you'd expect from questing.

The trick is to just intimidate the healer and the DPS by putting the pace so high, they can't slack. People always end up AFKing. Solution to that: Don't give them the opportunity and if they do it anyway, there's ways around that to get away from the group without a penalty of any kind.

If you're a fast zerger, the healer will be too busy to do anything but chain-heal (you only if you're good and keep the random damage away and use cooldowns when people stand in AOE/unavoidable attacks) like a madman, and the DPS will do nothing but spam AOE to zerg things down.

You might find it boring, but the experience is extreme and the speed it can be done at is just as admirable.

In short: Work your group to death, drop group after the dungeon is done, work next group to death.

Does it make dungeons fun and give you the time to experience how good the dungeon is? No, you lose out on so much that's awesome with dungeons, but the fact remains that it's the fastest way of doing it.

I just wouldn't recommend it to a first toon, because you're likely not good enough to do it, not just by personal skill, but from not knowing what bosses and trashpacks use which abilities under what circumstances.

Examples:

Ingvar's Dark Smash.

Anub'arak's Impale.

Loken and mostly everything he does. Because he's fun like that.

Skadi.

*insert hard trashpacks from any dungeon here*

first toon so no heirlooms
Questing then! :D Perhaps quest through the quest chains which award you blues in the end and give you dungeon quests (example: http://www.wowhead.com/zone=4196/draktharon-keep#quests) then queue for the dungeons. :(

generally i was just questing through an area till the next zone was available XD

A: Are you decently geared (read: Green BoE blacksmithing cobalt tank set) for Cata content?

B: Are you a good tank? (read: not good at surviving, every tank is good at surviving when leveling, are you good at zerg-pulling?)

C: Do you have guild experience boosts?

Actually, even with C being a no, the dungeons are far faster if you have rested experience. I seem to recall Halls of Stone being particularily great for experience when you get there, I seem to recall pulling my druid, warrior and death knight (all tanks) through that instance regularily for a fast 800k experience/hour gain minimum, which is far more than you'd expect from questing.

The trick is to just intimidate the healer and the DPS by putting the pace so high, they can't slack. People always end up AFKing. Solution to that: Don't give them the opportunity and if they do it anyway, there's ways around that to get away from the group without a penalty of any kind.

If you're a fast zerger, the healer will be too busy to do anything but chain-heal (you only if you're good and keep the random damage away and use cooldowns when people stand in AOE/unavoidable attacks) like a madman, and the DPS will do nothing but spam AOE to zerg things down.

You might find it boring, but the experience is extreme and the speed it can be done at is just as admirable.

In short: Work your group to death, drop group after the dungeon is done, work next group to death.

Does it make dungeons fun and give you the time to experience how good the dungeon is? No, you lose out on so much that's awesome with dungeons, but the fact remains that it's the fastest way of doing it.

I just wouldn't recommend it to a first toon, because you're likely not good enough to do it, not just by personal skill, but from not knowing what bosses and trashpacks use which abilities under what circumstances.

Examples:

Ingvar's Dark Smash.

Anub'arak's Impale.

Loken and mostly everything he does. Because he's fun like that.

Skadi.

*insert hard trashpacks from any dungeon here*

when say read, could you link me to a few of those things?

Couldn't you rather link me to your armory profile and tell me how you are as a tank? :(

Couldn't you rather link me to your armory profile and tell me how you are as a tank? :(

sorry :P

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/eredar/Barsam/simple

i'd say my only downfall as a tank is not knowing the encounters, other than that i've yet to have a problem(except for people going afk on me ;_:D

i'd say my only downfall as a tank is not knowing the encounters, other than that i've yet to have a problem(except for people going afk on me ;_:D

Oh, druid. I'm epically clueless about those. :D

Although judging by item-lvl alone, there's no need to get the BOE crafts for your level since you don't have that many pre-Northrend items on you, I believe you just had 3 or so, which while not being GOOD, is not strictly bad either.

Gearwise, you're good enough to crawl through it, although it's nothing like the proper power-level accounts with like 7 heirlooms, cheap high-end enchants on items, old high end gems and such. Most of those are only for alts, anyway since I doubt you can get many heirlooms, which is perfectly natural. :P

In fact, it seems good to me, but I'm sure the more Druid savvy tanks will say something if there's a glaring issue. I'm more of a plate class tank myself, although leveling a druid is incredibly easy. At least I zerged from 60-80 relying only on Swipe and Maul for AOE + Mangle, Maul and Lacerate for Single target threat, but then I got that Trash ability at 81, so that helped tons too for AOE.

Anyway, druids are very easy to play with Swipe and a glyphed Maul since AOE threat isn't that big a deal if you just mangle targets you're about to lose aggro on.

Also, when it comes to normal modes, you don't have to worry that much. If you notice you stand in something, run out of it. If you drop low on health, don't panic, just use Barkskin or another cooldown and you'll be fine. Interrupt any casts when you see them and can interrupt them with Skull Bash, use the stun bash-thing on things you learn hurt (from personal experience) and that's it. I could go indepth on how to be a great tank, but one of the requirements is to know the dungeon, and since there's no need to study up on WOTLK dungeons that much, it's something you should ask again when you're approaching 85 which is where you'll need to learn it.

Basic rule of thumb until you're 84/85: Learn to be comfortable with your class, your abilities and cooldowns, and learn to stay calm and try to learn how to not just focus on one thing. Tanks need to be able to see everything , not just the middle of the screen or your health bar. :P

Oh, druid. I'm epically clueless about those. :D

Although judging by item-lvl alone, there's no need to get the BOE crafts for your level since you don't have that many pre-Northrend items on you, I believe you just had 3 or so, which while not being GOOD, is not strictly bad either.

Gearwise, you're good enough to crawl through it, although it's nothing like the proper power-level accounts with like 7 heirlooms, cheap high-end enchants on items, old high end gems and such. Most of those are only for alts, anyway since I doubt you can get many heirlooms, which is perfectly natural. :P

In fact, it seems good to me, but I'm sure the more Druid savvy tanks will say something if there's a glaring issue. I'm more of a plate class tank myself, although leveling a druid is incredibly easy. At least I zerged from 60-80 relying only on Swipe and Maul for AOE + Mangle, Maul and Lacerate for Single target threat, but then I got that Trash ability at 81, so that helped tons too for AOE.

Anyway, druids are very easy to play with Swipe and a glyphed Maul since AOE threat isn't that big a deal if you just mangle targets you're about to lose aggro on.

Also, when it comes to normal modes, you don't have to worry that much. If you notice you stand in something, run out of it. If you drop low on health, don't panic, just use Barkskin or another cooldown and you'll be fine. Interrupt any casts when you see them and can interrupt them with Skull Bash, use the stun bash-thing on things you learn hurt (from personal experience) and that's it. I could go indepth on how to be a great tank, but one of the requirements is to know the dungeon, and since there's no need to study up on WOTLK dungeons that much, it's something you should ask again when you're approaching 85 which is where you'll need to learn it.

Basic rule of thumb until you're 84/85: Learn to be comfortable with your class, your abilities and cooldowns, and learn to stay calm and try to learn how to not just focus on one thing. Tanks need to be able to see everything , not just the middle of the screen or your health bar. :P

thanks for that, should i be getting glyphs now though?

Talents are little iffy.

Most bears, myself included go for something like: This some wiggle room on glyphs, but talents are generally set in stone to avoid cat related talents and grab the most relevant survival/threat talents.

Once you get to 80, make sure to reforge whatever you can to Mastery/Dodge (about even stat weight-wise, dodge will come ahead at a certain point)>Crit>Expertise>Hit>Haste.

Grab glyph of maul, mangle, and berserk if you can get a hold of them.

Talent points in Feral Agression, Nuturing Instinct, Stampede, and King of the Jungle aren't really useful for tanks. The first does nothing really (still make sure to get 3 stacks of Faerie Fire debuff up for bosses tho), Nuturing Instinct is a cat-only talent, and the other two are just bonus threat which is kinda pointless these days. I'd say keep King of the jungle so you can still quest as cat, but drop the other ones and move the points into Endless Carnage and Fury Swipes.

Aside from that the other talents and your gear all look pretty good. Once you get into Cataclysm dungeons make use of the Dungeon Journal as you're doing normal modes; the fights aren't really difficult on normal and there's a lot of room for error there, but getting in the habit of reading the DJ and then being able to recognize those moves as they happen in the fight will really cut down on the learning curve.

Mists of Paaaaaandddddddaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

For years they have toiled.

Was expecting a monk class, but neutral pandaman race?

Still better than the competition (for now)

It seems like every blizz-con they talk about making talent-trees fun but for some reason they feel no different to me than they did in 2006 when I started playing. However it rally looks like they put in a lot of effort into changing it all around.

Really looking forward to playing new destro. Kinda bummed about having to pick between dragon's breath and blast wave on my mage for fire pvp, but it's meh. I'm honestly pretty impressed with the talent trees overall. Skeptical about these things in arena, but it's whatever at this point. Not like it can get any worse.

Also annual pass seems pretty good. Diablo 3, Mists of Pandaria beta access, and a decent looking mount for signing up for 12 months of WoW.

So with new Wow xpacks comes new ideas, new opportunities, and, most importantly, new problems. Let me make this clear: This is not a rant thread. I simply want to discuss to you guys why i feel like I'm gonna quit WoW after this. First off, let me just just say that i have NO PROBLEM with the pandaren race, being what it is. While I would rather have something other than pandas, there's no enormous problem with them, and i kind of like having a neutral race mixed in. Truly, I will have to wait to see about the monk class, since we don't know a LOT about it yet because we don't know all the talents and moves for it, but one thing that bugs me is the talent tree revamp. I don't think that it should be changed. I like it the way it is, and I'm sure lots of people do, too. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Another thing i wanna touch on is the point of inflation. I've found that with each expansion of WoW released, we are paying more and more money for less and less content. At first, the level cap increased by 10 levels, now we're down to five per expansion. There we a TON of more raids with BC and WotLK, there are about HALF as much in Cata. I'm not going to complain about no 'Big Baddie' in MoP because I would like for Blizzard to get back to their original idea of Horde vs. Alliance, and continue on that storyline.

Basically, the main point I'm trying to get across here is that I really don't have the money to pay for another expansion that will give me less content than the last one, and cost more money.

/discuss

Thanks,

~Supa

EDIT: for more information about this topic, click here.

Edited by Supa

Judging by overall reaction if they're serious they can expect at least a 35% loss in their current subscription numbers.

Uh...monk class? That makes no sense.

Monk is classic RPG 101. I'm actually suprised they didn't add it untill now. Regardless, I'll probably "roll" one :3

Have they said anything about what level these classes start at?

Uh...monk class? That makes no sense.

Monk is classic RPG 101. I'm actually suprised they didn't add it untill now. Regardless, I'll probably "roll" one :3

Have they said anything about what level these classes start at?

So with new Wow xpacks comes new ideas, new opportunities, and, most importantly, new problems. Let me make this clear: This is not a rant thread. I simply want to discuss to you guys why i feel like I'm gonna quit WoW after this. First off, let me just just say that i have NO PROBLEM with the pandaren race, being what it is. While I would rather have something other than pandas, there's no enormous problem with them, and i kind of like having a neutral race mixed in. Truly, I will have to wait to see about the monk class, since we don't know a LOT about it yet because we don't know all the talents and moves for it, but one thing that bugs me is the talent tree revamp. I don't think that it should be changed. I like it the way it is, and I'm sure lots of people do, too. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Another thing i wanna touch on is the point of inflation. I've found that with each expansion of WoW released, we are paying more and more money for less and less content. At first, the level cap increased by 10 levels, now we're down to five per expansion. There we a TON of more raids with BC and WotLK, there are about HALF as much in Cata. I'm not going to complain about no 'Big Baddie' in MoP because I would like for Blizzard to get back to their original idea of Horde vs. Alliance, and continue on that storyline.

Basically, the main point I'm trying to get across here is that I really don't have the money to pay for another expansion that will give me less content than the last one, and cost more money.

/discuss

Thanks,

~Supa

EDIT: for more information about this topic, click here.

Talents trees are now almost pure utility, as they should have been all along. There is now at least SOME choice in talents rather than "this is the best, anything else is simply gimping yourself".

Cataclysm redid the entire old world, which I'm fairly sure gave it the most content to date of any expansion.

5 levels per expansion "so that players spend less time leveling and more time at the endgame".

The reason Cataclysm lacked so much endgame content is because I feel it was largely a systems update expansion, they changed the way so many things worked in order to set up for future expansions.

This being said, It would appear MoP is going to have quite a lot of endgame content, as well as being the first expansion to feature both a new race and a new class.

MoP will likely cost the same as Cataclysm on release, $50 USD. $70 USD for Collector's.

Main thing that bothers me is it does seem kinda like they're recycling content.

Main thing that bothers me is it does seem kinda like they're recycling content.

The only truly recycled content in Cata was ZA, everything was new bosses, mechanics, etc.

The map for ZG even got changed.

And even if it were exactly the same in everyway, I don't care if they're recycling it as long as it is enjoyable.

Take for example Ulduar, Ulduar was amazing, still my favorite raid and zone to date, if blizzard re-released it as current tier content I don't think I could contain myself.

one thing that bugs me is the talent tree revamp. I don't think that it should be changed. I like it the way it is, and I'm sure lots of people do, too. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.
Except it is broken; the Cataclysm talent revamp was an attempt at cutting down cookie cutter builds and adding more utility and options to your tree. While it was an improvement it still missed the mark by a pretty huge margin. Right now you hardly see any variety in talent specs; at most some classes get like 5 floater points for "utility" except that there isn't really any of that in most cases anyway. Separating utility moves from specs makes it a lot easier to play whatever spec you want in group content. There shouldn't be much more of "hey go X spec to get your utility so you can handle Y fight mechanic" instead you'll just need that one utility talent, which they said would be as easy to swap out as glyphs are now.

The only thing they recycle is the map and maybe some of the boss models; the bosses and abilities will be new.

I'm personally pretty excited for MoP. The talents change looks great imo, and another class using agi staves just ups my chance at seeing a feral legendary >.>

Edited by Hotbabe69

I just feel the game is so dry right now, and nothing about 4.3 makes me want to re-sub. I doubt I'll be back for 5.0 either, nothing really drawing me in yet; The talent trees are interesting though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.