Sal's RuneScape Forum
Salmoneus

Content, Guides And Project Status - 9th June 2013

Content, Guides and Project Status

Updated: 9th June 2013

This topic serves as a compilation of everything that's currently going on regarding our website's content, including projects and guides. If there's a guide we need on the site, post it here! Use this thread to discuss areas on Sal's Realm that need improvement: guides that need to be created or rewritten, content that needs updating, or overall formatting concerns.

[/name]Guidelines

1. Firstly, make sure that you read our Guidelines For submitting Content. It outlines the important things to follow when writing a guide.

2. Please realize that not all guides are accepted on the site, whether it's for being of low quality, questionable content, or just unneeded content. We need to make sure all of our content is helpful, relevant, and complete before adding a guide to the site.

3. In cases of multiple guides being submitted on the same subject, the BEST one will be used on the site. This goes for grammar/spelling, pictures, and details. Consider combining guides together in this case so that all writers get credit.

4. When you have finished writing a guide, please mark it "complete" by editing either the title or description so that I know it's the completed version. Abandoned guides that have not been edited in 3 weeks will generally be locked so that someone else can have a chance at writing one.

5. Before writing anything, please check through the current guides on the site:

Don't forget to look at the Accepted Content board to see what guides have currently been accepted!

Content We Need

This section contains a list of guides that we currently need, including guides for new quests, cities, activities, game features and other topics. Of course, this isn't an all-inclusive list and everyone is free to write any guide they would like!

Quests

• A Clockwork Syringe
  • The World Wakes
  • The Brink of Extinction
  • Rune Memories
  • Bringing Home the Bacon

Skills

• Dungeoneering - Guide in progress here. (need to decide what to do with this - do we revive it and if so, go for a simple, basic guide or extensive 'all-areas' guide)
    • Fremennik Sagas (do these belong here?)
      • Three's Company
      • Vengeance
      • Nadir
      • Thok it to 'Em
      • Thok Your Block Off

Guilds

• Thieves' Guild

Distractions and Diversions

• Fish Flingers
  • Court Cases
  • Phoenix Lair
  • Troll Invasion
  • Familiarisation
  • Sinkholes
  • God Statues
  • Demon Flash Mobs?

Cities and Locations

• Daemonheim
  • Darkmeyer
  • Wilderness

Dungeons

• Forinthry Dungeon
  • Jadinko Lair
  • Lava Flow Mine
  • Yanille Agility Dungeon
  • Order of Ascension
  • Grotworm Lair
  • Polypore Dungeon
  • Exiled Kalphite Lair (Kalphite King dungeon)

Miniquests

• Capers
  • Thalassus

Tips and Other Guides

• Clan Camp/Clan Chat/Clan Citadels
  • Members Loyalty Rewards Programme
  • Ancient Curses
  • Livid Farm
  • Herblore Habitat
  • Harvest Heaven
  • The Nexus
  • Player-Owned Ports
  • Charm Sprites
  • Botany Bay
  • Runespan
  • The Crucible
  • Bonfires
  • Dominion Tower

Guide Rewrites

Some guides are so far out of date that a simple update or correction will not really bring the guide up-to-date with RuneScape. In these cases, the guide should probably be rewritten and posted in the separate Guide Rewrites board.

Site Projects

There are a number of projects in the works for our website, and we really need everyone's help to submit info to them whenever possible. Here's a rundown of our current project status:

Item Database

However, we still need everyone to continue submitting new items, and to continue sending in updates to existing ones.

Monster Database

Please keep submitting new monsters!

NPC Database

Please keep submitting new NPCs!

Treasure Trails Database

We still need you to submit new clues you discover in RuneScape, though!

[name=revision_history]Revision History

21st July 2013 (Yuanrang)

• Added the Exiled Kalphite Lair to Dungeon List

9th June 2013 (Goggie)

• Added The World Wakes, Brink of Extinction and Rune Memories to Quest List
  • Added Sinkholes, God Statues and Demon Flash Mobs to D&D list
  • Added Order of Ascension, Polypore Dungeon and Grotworm Lair to Dungeon list
  • Added Harvest Heaven, Botany Bay, Player-Owned Ports, The Nexus, Runespan, The Crucible, Bonfires and Charm Sprites to Tips and Other Guides List
  • Checked for updates to all lists between September 2012 and June 2013.

24 Sep 2012

• Added Fremennik Sagas to "skills" list under Dungeoneering. (Sal)
  • Re-linked table of contents. (Sal)
  • Fixed messed up formatting from past forum upgrade. (Sal)
  • Revisions now use bullet lists for easier reading. (Sal)

13 Sep 2011

• Added Livid Farm and Herblore Habitat to "other guides" section. (Sal)

09 Sep 2011

• Removed the Branches of Darkmeyer quest guide from the list. (Sal)

21 Aug 2011

• Completely revamped the post, added missing guides, formatting, etc. (Sal)

Edited by Yuanrang

I have submitted a Canifis Bar Basement/dungeon guide .

Which is of a low quality and needs improving.

If you aren't going to read feedback by other people, then don't bother writing rubbish that is of a low quality and isn't fit to go anywhere near the site.

Neo, you have a problem..... I have no clue how I can make it better, It took me a long time to make.... you said the same thing to all my other guides that they are low quality... just leave me alone.

Is this basically a Big Version of my thread? :closedeyes:

Nice though, it certainly looks good and easy to navigate :lol:

Neo, you have a problem..... I have no clue how I can make it better, It took me a long time to make.... you said the same thing to all my other guides that they are low quality... just leave me alone.

What I am saying is that you don't read comments by other people. I have made a post with corrections in it, and you haven't changed anything that I have pointed out.

If you think you can't make it better then why can I find several typos and cases of bad grammar that I pointed out several days ago that still haven't been fixed.

If I say that something is of a low quality then the chances are that it probably is. If you won't listen to, and take action from, things other people say then how can you say that the guide is complete.

It may take a long time to make, if a guide takes less than 3 hours to make then it is likely that it is going to be short with out much detail. If a map has gaps in the lines or the lines aren'y either horizontal, vertical or at 45 degrees then it is obvious that it needs improving.

If you listened to feedback from other people then I wouldn't have anywhere near as much to complain at you about. Accept that you aren't perfect (nobody is) and start listening to other people.

Guest The Evolution

I will do the Mort'ton guide. Thanks.

it says you need a Ape Atoll dungeon guide - yeah but which dungeon theres the one with the gnome mage or the one where you go to make the monkey'speak ammy, which dungeon is it?

I'm working on the Trouble Brewing guide since Magic Star decided that it would be too hard to write. Due to real life commitments (Dissentor has a life?!?!?!??! :)), I've been a bit behind ("bit" is an understatement, but oh well). I'm pushing forward at full speed today and tomorrow to get it done though. :P

Guest Fuzzeh

Just so everyone knows I've began preparations on a farming help guide.. :king:

What about a Fairy Ring guide?

I'd like to submit one if that's ok =)

Gardner gave me permission and I made one in General. It's complete =)

Edited by Mrcsupertrain

I am glad to see some clarification on the future happening's on Sal's Realm. However I really would like it if this guide was updated at least once every week, because at the moment it is not changed much making it useless. All the guides that are needed here have been completed as far as I know. If it was more organised I would have a clear idea of what guides to make.

Slayer Help Guide is it possible?

One of the guided needed (as stated in this topic) is a slayer help guide. So I put on my mind-cap and started thinking about it. In all honesty I don't think it can be done. The slayer skill is one of the hardest to level and contrary to all other skills it depends on combat. And that is exactly the problem: How to write a guide where raising your levels is dependent on other skills and thus for each player different.

Mining is easy: start at one and end at 99. Not one other skill used. Smithing: same story, as with close to all other skills. Not so with Slayer.

A player with level 10 combat can start slayer. As can a transfer from F2p at level 90 combat. But the way to level slayer for both is very different (and I would rather be the lvl 10 than the lvl 90 when starting :jester:).

The last few attempts to make such a guide have all gone down the tubes. And the more I think about the more I think it can't be done.

--Simple--

Slayer isn't hard. We just describe each monster obtainable as a task and how to get there fastest, method best to kill it, gear needed etc.. Then people of different combat levels can find their own gear to fit what's in the guide. An example:

Fire Giants: level 86

(insert pic with small map)

The best place to kill fire giants is in Brimhaven Dungeon, just before the Metal Dragon area. The spot shown has three very close to each other and this place is often deserted, unlike the Waterfall which is full of new players. Bring a cannon for fast experience, and Guthans is possible. There are no places to hide so ranging or maging is not advised.

Doing this for every monster is simple (lol), just slightly tedious for whoever has to write it. We don't have to tell people the best way to level slayer in great detail - that is obvious: get a task and complete it. Which master to go to is obvious, and anyway is in the main guide already. All that is missing is a detailed analysis of each monster. If it's not written by July I'll write one but I don't have time to do it from scratch at the moment.

Seems to me that isn't the way to do it: Like I said I have been thinking about it for a pretty long time: It just doesn't make sense to write a help guide. What you suggest is eminently suited for the monster data-base.

Why double the task by putting them in a list? I honestly don't think a good help guide can be made. Slayer masters are combat level dependent, not slayer level. The tasks are a given: no room to do your own thing except turning in your assignment. So all that is left are monsters: The data-base.

--Simple--

we need a hunting guide you should write it down because we have a lot to do

and also a hunting help guide

i will post everything i have upto now if i knew where exactly to post it, needs quite a lot of work though and a bit of a rewrite maybe :P

I am not good with them lol

Seems to me that isn't the way to do it: Like I said I have been thinking about it for a pretty long time: It just doesn't make sense to write a help guide. What you suggest is eminently suited for the monster data-base.

Why double the task by putting them in a list? I honestly don't think a good help guide can be made. Slayer masters are combat level dependent, not slayer level. The tasks are a given: no room to do your own thing except turning in your assignment. So all that is left are monsters: The data-base.

--Simple--

While I see your point, I have occasionally looked for a slayer help guide before realising there isn't one! I was looking for advice on which of the alternate locations I should go to for a particular creature, and which assignments I should consider changing. For example, I have read on more than one occasion in the questions section of the site that crocodiles are considered a bad assignment, and should be changed, this is useful information, but I think it's too subjective to be in the skill guide.

Other information that I think might be useful in a slayer help guide are recommendations on the combat style best suited to each creature, and recommendations on when to change slayer master (rather than the factual information about the level at which it is possible to change), maps showing creature locations, and advice on how to choose which alternate to kill where alternatives exist.

im doing a feldip hills guide now

Edited by quack