Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Simple013

Range Help Guide Completed

Don't get discouraged by these idiots saying "oMG FGF CARP GUIDE n00B" It's a good guide and i hope it is use din the site. I can do a quick drop shadow if you would like?

Are you planning on adding past level 60. <_<

Are you planning on adding past level 60. <_<

If you read the guide then you will see that it says...

"*simple013 Off to do a few quests so bear with me"

and

"to be continued"

Both those things imply that there is more to come. <_<

Yes but he also skipped right to the misscelanius part so that implies that the other part will not be contunued. <_<

Yes but he also skipped right to the misscelanius part so that implies that the other part will not be contunued. <_<
It may seem strange but I do have somewhat of another life too. I will make this into a complete guide. So far what is published here are 7 A4 pages in Word. I cannot do all in just 4 days, should that be too long for you do write yourself. As I stated I check everything I write on 3 different accounts and in all honesty Range can get boring. What is more: I cannot go to other sites as all information used would be considered a rip.

The reason for the quest series is explained in the dragon slayer part. That got me into some trouble though: updating the guides for those quests seemed the logical thing to do. So I'm presently working on a few projects in one go.

The only reason I got this far......... just read the whole thing then start commenting.

--Simple--

Edited by simple013

Excellent guide. I've never seen such detail. Put Simple as a leader in the Website Content Submissions forum!

This guide is absoloute rubbish!

Have you ever tried Ranging? What is written is of quality.

Exactly. Zankorn, YOUR POST is rubbish. Not the topic-starting post.

Why are you even bothering to tell people to switch bows, or get better armour? Most people would anyway. Besides there's already a fairly good ranging guide.

Guides should tell you how to do something if all you have to help you in RS is the World Map. There is currently a Ranged skill guide. This is a help guide, and will be one of the most detailed guides that Sals have, up in the region of, and beyond the Herby Help Guide. Before complaining, read what there is in full, then constructive criticism is good, your post is spam, and adds nothing at all to this guide.

Agreed.

Did you even get permission to do this?

Permission is an imaginative force.

PWN4G3 PL0X. <_< Well done Neo.

Simple, you're one of the best guide writers here at Sals. This guide is better then the other guide ( no offense ). I hope this guide will be accepted!

Exactly. <_<

:P

Oh, and Neo, I hope you'll be a mod soon :xd:

Edited by Just Somebody

Yes but he also skipped right to the misscelanius part so that implies that the other part will not be contunued. :closedeyes:

It may seem strange but I do have somewhat of another life too. I will make this into a complete guide. So far what is published here are 7 A4 pages in Word. I cannot do all in just 4 days, should that be too long for you do write yourself. As I stated I check everything I write on 3 different accounts and in all honesty Range can get boring. What is more: I cannot go to other sites as all information used would be considered a rip.

The reason for the quest series is explained in the dragon slayer part. That got me into some trouble though: updating the guides for those quests seemed the logical thing to do. So I'm presently working on a few projects in one go.

The only reason I got this far......... just read the whole thing then start commenting.

--Simple--

Yes I understand I was just thinking you stopped at 60 and it was only till 60 thats all. ;)

At level 75

Members: Switch to Crystal Bow.

Why not 70? Is it less effective at 70 or something?

ur going to mention crossbows more right? because if karils (barrow archer) good enough instead of full black? i have friends who have Karil's armor so i get a pic for u he logged off just now so when he comes back :beret:

ur going to mention crossbows more right? because if karils (barrow archer) good enough instead of full black? i have friends who have Karil's armor so i get a pic for u he logged off just now so when he comes back :beret:
I have Karil so I do have the pictures of it. But Karils bow is not good for practice neither is the new Dorgeshuun bow. One good place to use the crossbow is during Dragon Slayer and maybe with the new crossbow and enchantable bolts Jagex promised.

Finally, the dulcet sound of twanging crossbows will once again ring true across the lush fields of, well, everywhere! Crossbows have been considered the runt of the projectile family for a while now, so we’ve added a brand new range of crossbows and enchantable bolts, all of which you can make yourself! The “arm” of the crossbow is also created using the smithing skill, so blacksmiths will find use in this update too.

--Simple--

Edited by simple013

Use common sense to figure out what monsters to range: Chain mails have holes and thus are weak to ranged attacks, full armor is very good against ranged attacks. So by all means have a go at Guards but stay away from Paladins, Hero’s and the like. Contrary to what most people think: Scorpions aren’t good range targets, neither are the Snails in Mort Myre Swamps or even Rock Crabs: They have a skin like armor.
Should you be able to stand the boredom of leveling all the way from level 20 range to 99 and stay at one or two monsters, couldn’t care less about drops and if you are a Member then there are two alternatives that hardly can be beaten in xp gain: Experiments and Rock Crabs. Often crowded but arrow for arrow the fastest way in RS, for Experiments you need to have started Creature of Fenkenstrain.

You contradicted yourself here by in the first one saying rock crabs were not good exp and in the 2nd saying they were.

I don't think I did: From lvl 20 range Rock Crabs are ok. But if you look at all the question you see about range people advise Rock Crabs no matter what: That is not true.

[Edit] That said: I changed the first part so it is more clear as to what is intended to say.[/edit]

--Simple--

Edited by simple013

I'm bumping this to the top because I would like you to comment on the content, grammar and spelling. I think it is complete but I could be wrong.

--Simple--

Though most of the list above is NOT the way to fast xp most rangers switch to these when reaching level 55.

Should that be something more along the lines of;

"Though most of the list about is NOT the way to gain fast experience, most rangers will switch to these upon reaching level 55".

Basically the same, yeah, but I couldn't find anything else to fault in this guide. One of the best I've seen, well done. :D

There are quite a few sentances throughout the length of the guide that seem too long, and need commas adding in to make them flow properly. If you try to read it out loud then it's easier to pick up on where the sentances are too long.

When talking about collection the Ore in Knights Sword, the name you have given the Ore looks like it has been mis-spelt.

Talking about Meltzars Maze in the Dragon Slayer part, the paragraph hasn't been separated fromt he one before properly.

In the tips and tricks section about auto-retaliateing you've added an apostraphe that shouldn't be there.

The link at the end of the guide doesn't work properly.

The section about Bloodvelds is missing some information. I found 5 safe spots, not 3. It sounds like the paragraph should end with the phrase "per hour".

The only thing that I feel the guide is missing is information on the best ways to get each type of weapon. eg. Ardougne General Store has a default stock of 500 Bronze Arrows that never cost more than 6 gp each. If you want cheap ammuntion, then I find that this is the best place to get it (I'm 73 Ranged and have only used anything other than Bronze Arrows for 200,000 xp).

The only thing that I feel the guide is missing is information on the best ways to get each type of weapon. eg. Ardougne General Store has a default stock of 500 Bronze Arrows that never cost more than 6 gp each. If you want cheap ammuntion, then I find that this is the best place to get it (I'm 73 Ranged and have only used anything other than Bronze Arrows for 200,000 xp).
Working on that now and thus I have a tip for you. Switch to Rimmington when buying bronze arrows: Default stock 1000 starting price 1gp.

--Simple--

All Bows are best bought at Brian’s Archery Supplies, Rimmington

Best place to buy Maple Shortbow: Lowe’s Archery Emporium, Varrock

Why is it different depending on whether you are f2p or p2p?

Dragon Hide Armor and Coif is only available from players not from stores

Can't you buy then from the Champions Guild and the guy in Edgeville?

This is the BEST guild i ever saw..

You got here everything! All things about my favorite skill in one place!

I think I'm going to read this guild again and again.

GREAT! 11/10! >.<

But dont you have a mistake?

If you kill the dragon with an attack that gives to the attack skill or strangth,

then you get exp indefence and hp.

And if you kill the dragon with an attack that gives to defence, you get attack and strength exp.

So, what I want to say.. I think that you can't get strength and hp exp in the qeust.. :|

Edited by Drikam

This is the BEST guild i ever saw..

You got here everything! All things about my favorite skill in one place!

I think I'm going to read this guild again and again.

GREAT! 11/10! >.<

But dont you have a mistake?

If you kill the dragon with an attack that gives to the attack skill or strangth,

then you get exp indefence and hp.

And if you kill the dragon with an attack that gives to defence, you get attack and strength exp.

So, what I want to say.. I think that you can't get strength and hp exp in the quest.. :|

Ehm, no you are wrong. The reward is in strength and defence. I started with Attack, Strength, Defence and Prayer at 1, Mage at 13 (i think) Range at 41 and hp at 31. These are my stats now (on the Campoleone account):

statsafterwards.png

--Simple--

Edited by simple013

So, wield your Short bow and some iron arrows, leather boots, vambraces, chaps and body (or Hard Leather body if you have a defense level of 10), should you have it also wield an Amulet of Power or Amulet of Glory and let us look for some targets.

Short, as well as hard leather does not need to be capitalized, but its not a big deal.

The best place to start out is at Lumbridge, the city you arrived in leaving Tutorial Island

Instead of at, use in. Also put after before leaving. Also a period at the end.

Stick to chickens until you are level 20 collect the feathers and sell those up to 10 coins each.
Comma after 20, and if desired, after feathers.

Time to put on your Coif and Studded Chaps and, if you have a defense level 20 or above wield the Studded Body. If you have a defense level less than 10 keep the Leather Body, and between 10 and 20 use the Hard Leather Body.

Everything in bold does not need to be capitalized, although its not a big deal if it is.

Hill Giants in Edgville Dungeon

hillsedge.png

Skeletons (lvl 21) at Edgville Dungeon

It is spelled Edgeville.

Lower level ‘monsters’ at Ardougne Zoo (you will lose your arrows though)

Once again, in sounds better than at. Also a period should be on the outside of the closing parenthese.

Once again Crandor Island for F2p,

Should be a period, not a comma.

Crandor Island houses two of them, both can be ranged after they stop auto-atacking:

Should be spelled attacking.

Zogres andSkogers drop 100% Zogre bones and a Coffin key. Use the key to open a coffin and you could get one of the Ancient Bones with Brutal Arrows to fight Zogres and Skogres.

Skoge

First one should be Skogres, second one, Skogre.

You can only have so many quotes in one post, so Ill work on the rest a bit later. But nice job.

~Mole

EDIT: The posts dont seem to be merging, usually they do. Sorry for the double post.

If you use Taverly Dungeon you will need to fight for them, as it is very crowded at peak times. If you aren’t interested in Dragon hides, bury the bones as you get them, and alch close to every item you get, you could try the Ogre Enclave Dungeon in Gu’Tanoth. A few caged Greater Demons,some Blue Dragons along with some small fry.

Should be spelled Taverley. Dragon doesnt need to be capitlaized. Put or between get, and you. Also there should be a space in between Demons, and some.

Black Dragons and Black Demons, both at Taverly Dungeon, are pretty safe to range. But again: Not for xp.

Once again, it is spelled Taverley.

Elves, Nechrayel, Gargoyle, Kurask. Even Basilisk and Cockatrice can be ranged, if you use knives that is.

Nechrayel

It is spelled Nechryael

Good Luck on your quest to 99 ranged

Luck doesnt need to be capitalized, and there should be a period at the end.

However, if you have trouble finding someone to finish Shield of Arav with you, it is entirely possible to do it.

Should be spelled Arrav.

Melzars Maze, where you need to find a map piece, could be your biggest worry of the whole quest. Do bring food: Lobster or better. The keys, needed to go through the next door, are random drops and could take some time.

Should be Melzar's with an apostrophe. Lobster does not need to be capitalized.

Once you have all you need prepare to meet Elvarg.
This sentence is a little shaky, not really sure what you are trying to say.

,Then right-click Elvarg, attack and run back to your safe-spot. You will get hit doing this but you will get through it. Keep repeating this attack-run tactick until you defeat Elvarg. It might take some time but you will do it. After finishing you will be outside the cage and immediatly attacked by skeletons walking about.

Comma at the first is not needed, but one is needed after this.

If you don't want this to happen but do want to access Crandor, this is what you do:

Put a comma after happen.

Once again, Ill do more later!

~Mole

Edited by Mole

Sweet guide, but something is defintly wrong in the first part of the section that tells you where to buy things in the members section. BIG TIME. :D