Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Simple013

Guide And Dungeon Lay-out

This topic is a result of a question Steve asked in a guide re-write topic. As I don't see the need to clutter up the guide making process, I decided to put my answer here. Feel free to comment in any way you see fit, as long as it complies with the forum rules.

Diss, Ive always been taught that conformity is bad. Like.. you shouldnt be like everyone else. Be different.

-

Simple, is this right? :cry: (yay I stole your smiley :/ :P :wub: )

Personally I'm all in favour of being different. Well, what else is new :aware: you see, I am different and proud to flaunt it. :unsure: But when it comes to guides.........

That is a can of worms. I honestly think guides should resemble each other in structure, lay-out and writing style. That way people know what to expect from a guide, know where to look and ultimately decide whether they like our guides better than those of other fan-sites.

Take a look at the guides of RHQ: All are built along the same lines. From step 1 goto 2 goto 3 goto 4 and so on. If you like being told what to do in that way use it. Tip has a different style, a bit between what RHQ does and what we are doing. If you like that use that one. It seems that we have developed a unique style of writing: Both helping out the quester and adding information to it, be it in adding a verbatim transcript of a conversation, a writing style that resembles not one of the guides from the sites mentioned.

Thus I don't agree with your stance the pictures should be made transparent: they should be cropped rectangular; Reward scrolls should neither be made transparent. The only transparancies are those of the 'small' items and/or NPCs.

Now to the can of worms: I really believe we should decide on one specific font for all dungeon maps, one specific symbol to represent north. All text on maps should be recognizable as uniquely Sal's.

--Simple--

I honestly think guides should resemble each other in structure, lay-out and writing style. That way people know what to expect from a guide, know where to look and ultimately decide whether they like our guides better than those of other fan-sites.

Many of the City Guides have maps in them that are covered in strange coloured shapes that actually aren't mentioned within the guide - click on each letter of "covered" to see a different map. What is the point of covering a map in strange lines making it so it cannot be edited? Even if these lines were mentioned in the guide, what good is it for those who are colourblind? It just looks very ugly.

Some maps have even been made transparent. What is the use of a transparent map? The worst maps are even JPEG. :unsure:

It clearly says that maps should be taken at 75% zoom, yet it is obvious that not all are. This and this were not both taken at the same zoom. Dungeon maps are always at 100% zoom, so it is hard to change that, but when you're talking about taking a screenshot of the World Map, there is no excuse for it being different.

City Guides should be made so that either they are numbered so that numbers can be placed throughout the guide and it is easy to tell where something is on the map or it is a clear tour through the city. Either of those types of guide could be changed from one to the other very easily since you should just be able to add/remove the numbers. The problem with numbers is that you would have to add them again every time a new symbol was added to a dungeon city, adding extra work for the person doing the correction, but either way would work as long as there was consistency between guides. There are already numbers on some maps, but they are different to each other - see examples one, two and three.

Thus I don't agree with your stance the pictures should be made transparent: they should be cropped rectangular; Reward scrolls should neither be made transparent. The only transparancies are those of the 'small' items and/or NPCs.
The only things that should be made transparent are Item Pictures like this and NPC face pictures like this. There is no need for anything else to be made transparent.

If you make a monsters transparent it makes it look like somebody has taken a bad photograph and tried to cover it up. With something like this it is the sort of thing that has the correct proportions to make a good photograph - an area for the object to move into and a small border around the rest of it. How can this ever be called a better looking image than this?

Now to the can of worms: I really believe we should decide on one specific font for all dungeon maps, one specific symbol to represent north. All text on maps should be recognizable as uniquely Sal's.

There is a single symbol for North that is available for all to use and can be found in this sticky. There aren't any other places where I have seen somebody post a compass on its own and let everybody use it on maps for the site.

The type of text on the map should be the choice of the author as long as it is possible to read. With my first map I started by making the whole key in the same text as this, which I couldn't name if I tried. It was pointed out that it was hard to read, so I changed to using Verdana, and have done ever since for the keys, with that label stating that I mapped it.

On my recent maps or maps that I have edited recently I've started putting text over the map at around a 5% visibility or below to make it harder for the maps to be stolen. This makes it harder to edit them, but as long as you have the copy without the text saying "Sals Realm" all over it, there is no problem when editing. I do this in Arial Black, but it is almost a sugnature saying that I have touched the map.

If you read through the guides, you will notice that each author has their own writing style, and it is often possible to work out who wrote the guide without looking at the names at the top of the page. Maps should be able to be distinguished in the same way. By looking at the text style, as long as an author uses the same every time, it is possible to work out who made it. I knew that Dani made this dungeon map and could remember the style that it was in, so the moment I saw this, I knew who made it. If it is that simple to work something out, you could work out if you wanted to read the guide or not becuase you like/dislike the author without reading anything.

Maps should be unique, and mappers should be able to add their own touches to them.

Maps should be unique, and mappers should be able to add their own touches to them.
Sure, maps should be unique. But could we at least agree on one set font for the key, basically the same as with the compass. It is 'disturbing' to see so many different fonts used in various maps.
Even if these lines were mentioned in the guide, what good is it for those who are colourblind? It just looks very ugly.
I haven't got an answer to the colour blind thing: I'm not colour blind so I haven't got a clue what is and/or is not visible. As for ugly....... no comment there.
If you read through the guides, you will notice that each author has their own writing style, and it is often possible to work out who wrote the guide without looking at the names at the top of the page.
Not exactly what I mean: 'We' tend to write elaborate quest guides, lots of images and text to go with them. I meant writing style in that sense not the personal touch each writer gives to his/her guide. Take a look at this one, this one or even this one: Very different in writing style but being very elaborate all three are unique to Sal's.

--Simple--

Edited by Simple013

Sure, maps should be unique. But could we at least agree on one set font for the key, basically the same as with the compass. It is 'disturbing' to see so many different fonts used in various maps.

It's one thing deciding on a font to be used. Implementing it and changing all current maps is another thing. If a font is chosen, will there be a certain size and spacing between each line required too?

Yes, everything needs to have a Sals Realmness too them, but as long as the guide is obviously from Sals, and the font is readable, there isn't a huge problem.

I will start to complain when people squish a map so that you can't actually read anything or decide to say that the map is copywrited to the mapper. The moment something is posted in Submissions, Sal has full power to use it anywhere on the site, and it isn't copywrited to the mapper, but to the Realm. Other problems rise when it looks like the map has been shrunk so much that it becomes blurred.

If you did however want to chose a font to be used in all keys, it could be implemented fairly easily each time a map is checked for errors.

Not exactly what I mean: 'We' tend to write elaborate quest guides, lots of images and text to go with them. I meant writing style in that sense not the personal touch each writer gives to his/her guide. Take a look at this one, this one or even this one: Very different in writing style but being very elaborate all three are unique to Sal's.

Yes, quest guides have a distinct look to them, but things like Dungeon and City Guides just look random. Part of the reason for this is probably that the Guidelines for Submissions are so vague in any subject other than Quest Guides. If we want to make things more consistent, we need to rip the Guidelines apart then put them back together again, adding in large amounts of information. There are obviously changes going on within Submissions at the moment, and with all these changes, the core needs to be updated too.

Diss, Ive always been taught that conformity is bad. Like.. you shouldnt be like everyone else. Be different.

-

Simple, is this right? :cry: (yay I stole your smiley :/ :P :P )

Personally I'm all in favour of being different. Well, what else is new :aware: you see, I am different and proud to flaunt it. :unsure: But when it comes to guides.........

That is a can of worms. I honestly think guides should resemble each other in structure, lay-out and writing style. That way people know what to expect from a guide, know where to look and ultimately decide whether they like our guides better than those of other fan-sites.

--Simple--

I agree with that completely. I support difference in life, but like Simple said, when it comes to guides, let's make them all conform to each other so, like Simple said, people know what they're going to get when they come to Sal's for guides.

I broke the back and forth between Simple and Neo. :wub:

But it looks neater and more professional when made transparent. Why must we stick with a lower standard just because people have done in the past, when it's easy to make it look nicer? We're the only site that uses these ugly versions for a reason - they ARE worse.

What is the point of covering a map in strange lines making it so it cannot be edited? Even if these lines were mentioned in the guide, what good is it for those who are colourblind? It just looks very ugly.
We can't not use colours just to please the 2 people who use this site who are colourblind. They have to deal with that and their problem should not make our guides look worse to everyone else. As long as the colours are used, I think labeling maps with them is very useful. It would be very selfish of colourblind people to force us not to use colours when 99.9% of people find them functional and very valuable when reading a guide.

But it looks neater and more professional when made transparent. Why must we stick with a lower standard just because people have done in the past, when it's easy to make it look nicer? We're the only site that uses these ugly versions for a reason - they ARE worse.
That is just the point: You think they look better transparant. I happen to think text scrolls look horribly ragged when transparent, the same with reward scrolls. In all honesty I even hate the look of NPCs when they are transparent, I like the background of the text scroll better than the blue of the site.

--Simple--

It does not look more professional. It looks like you have taken a bad screenshot and tried to cover up the fact that it is bad by making it invisible. You say that we are the only one with a background - it makes us unique - a Sals Realm factor. If you are saying that we should stop being unique and make everything transparent, then it's almost like telling people to talk without their accent. It isn't natural and is what makes us unique.

If you like how the other fansites do it, use them instead. There's nothing forcing you to use Sals, and the majority usually overpowers the minority, especially if they are known to have more knowledge in the area being delt with.

We can't not use colours just to please the 2 people who use this site who are colourblind. They have to deal with that and their problem should not make our guides look worse to everyone else. As long as the colours are used, I think labeling maps with them is very useful. It would be very selfish of colourblind people to force us not to use colours when 99.9% of people find them functional and very valuable when reading a guide.

If you look around the internet it says that about 5% of people are colourblind, and the number is rising. That is 1 in 20 people. If there are 30,000 people that use the site, that is about 1500 people who are colourblind. 1500 people is 750 times your estimate of 2, and should not be ignored. If you look through the keys of the maps that I have made, it is possible for somebody like me who is strongly colourblind to see all of the colours, yet with the different shapes it is easily possible to label 24 thigns.

If you're talking about City Guides, the reason colours shouldn't be used to label areas on maps is because it looks ugly. If you think this looks even the slightest bit reasonable with all the lines on it then you obviously aren't a mapper. If you tried mapping then you would realise the line between being good and being bad is very narrow.

It is selfish of you to think that colourblind people are so few in number, and that they should have to suffer and not get full access to the guide because the author of the guide is too lazy to take them into account.

If you look around the internet it says that about 5% of people are colourblind, and the number is rising. That is 1 in 20 people. If there are 30,000 people that use the site, that is about 1500 people who are colourblind. 1500 people is 750 times your estimate of 2, and should not be ignored.
There are many different types of colourblindness. The majortity find distinguishing green difficult, but others have problems with red/yellow. So to cater for all colourblind people, we couldn't use red, orange, yellow or green.
If you look through the keys of the maps that I have made, it is possible for somebody like me
And what about everyone else who have different forms of colourblindness? It IS impossible to use colours without someone having a problem with it, and statistically it's much better to please the 95% of people with healthy eyes, by using colours, than the 3% with green-colourblindness.

If you're talking about City Guides, the reason colours shouldn't be used to label areas on maps is because it looks ugly. If you think this looks even the slightest bit reasonable with all the lines on it then you obviously aren't a mapper.
That was clearly done by an eight year old, clearly it doesn't represent what I want as a good quality map. If done properly and neatly, colours really do make things easier to see and make finding the correct place much simpler.

It is selfish of you to think that colourblind people are so few in number, and that they should have to suffer and not get full access to the guide because the author of the guide is too lazy to take them into account.
So instead of the 5% suffering, you propose that the other 95% should have a worse map? Really, that's appauling logic.

Maps with colours indictating areas being described are in my opinion much better and easier/clearer to read.

What is the point of covering a map in strange lines making it so it cannot be edited? Even if these lines were mentioned in the guide, what good is it for those who are colourblind? It just looks very ugly.

No offense to whoever made that map, but I agree its pretty ugly. :wub: There is just way too many lines and stuff. This map has numbers, which I like, but the font isnt just like a nice standard Arial or Verdana or something, and its hard to read because its black. Something like that, but with a readable color (white preferably, except on ice areas then it should be black) would be best IMO.

For the monster debate, I do think transparent images look a bit more professional, but I also see the point of having the background in there, too. I dont really care which way we go here. One thing I dont like is Neo's comment that "the majority usually overpowers the minority, especially if they are known to have more knowledge in the area being delt with." You arent the majority, you have the same voice as Thomas does and the same voice that I have. And I think what matters is the people USING the guides. I dont care if a pro GFXer thinks some graphical style is awesome, I actually think half the stuff people call "pro" (thats the highest quality of graphics) is very ugly and should be thrown out. What matter is the people viewing the graphics, if they look it or not. In this case, what matters is the people viewing the guides.

That is just the point: You think they look better transparant. I happen to think text scrolls look horribly ragged when transparent, the same with reward scrolls. In all honesty I even hate the look of NPCs when they are transparent, I like the background of the text scroll better than the blue of the site.
I like text scrolls then theyre transparent. It shows the text and none of the background that serves no point. Same with reward scrolls. But, like with the monster debate (I replied to above), I do see the point in keeping it as a non-transparent image.

My conformity statement wasnt meant to include everything, just that in general I thought that conformity is bad. In some cases its definitly good. Like in school when youre taking a test and everyone is quiet, you should be like them and be quiet. Dont go running around the room in circles screaming "peanut butter jelly time!" :/ :unsure::cry: For something like guides on a site, I see both sides. Conformity would be good because then if someone likes one guide, theyll like them all. The problem with it is if we're going to make an attempt to all be the same in our graphics, why not do it in our writing, too? It doesnt make sense not to. And then we will get to the point where you're really just filling in a form with your info. That wouldnt be any good.

As you can see Im very split on this general issue. In some cases I like conformity, in others I dont. I probably contradicted myself multiple times in this post. :aware:

Like in school when youre taking a test and everyone is quiet, you should be like them and be quiet. Dont go running around the room in circles screaming "peanut butter jelly time!"

So that's why my math teacher was mad at me on test day. :unsure:

The problem with it is if we're going to make an attempt to all be the same in our graphics, why not do it in our writing, too? It doesnt make sense not to. And then we will get to the point where you're really just filling in a form with your info. That wouldnt be any good.

It's a bit too difficult to get everybody to write in the same style as everybody has their own style of writing and there's no right or wrong style. But the same writing style should be used throughout a particular guide for sure. That's why I'm against combining quest guides because everybody has such a different method of writing quest guides.

Edited by Dissentor

The problem with it is if we're going to make an attempt to all be the same in our graphics, why not do it in our writing, too? It doesnt make sense not to. And then we will get to the point where you're really just filling in a form with your info. That wouldnt be any good.

It's a bit too difficult to get everybody to write in the same style as everybody has their own style of writing and there's no right or wrong style. But the same writing style should be used throughout a whole guide for sure. That's why I'm against combining quest guides because everybody has such a different method of writing quest guides.

Hold on, I think you just moved one step too far along. As far as I can see it what both Neo and I proposed is are a certain fixed points that a guide writer should use as a given. That will leave enough lee-way to 'imprint your own style' on any guide you make.

What we are not talking about is 'graphics as a whole'. Anyone making a guide has a unique way of taking screenies. Yet the whole guide, the finished article, has to be uniquely Sal's Realm of RuneScape. Take a look here and you will find a guide that has the imprint of Sal's all over it, even if it is his first guide (compliments for that btw :unsure:) it still is his guide.

In my opinion that is what we should strive for. It has nothing to do with limiting the creativity of a writer just to set certain parameters that have to be adhered too. When Steve mentions 'graphics' I have this vivid image of a BMW in mind (one of his sigs), beautifull as it is, it is not Sal's. So within the graphics part of guides the only lee-way you would have are the way screenies are taken. Lay-out is more or less linked to the site lay-out (little room in that to make your mark).

--Simple--

It's a bit too difficult to get everybody to write in the same style as everybody has their own style of writing and there's no right or wrong style. But the same writing style should be used throughout a whole guide for sure. That's why I'm against combining quest guides because everybody has such a different method of writing quest guides.

Hold on, I think you just moved one step too far along. As far as I can see it what both Neo and I proposed is are a certain fixed points that a guide writer should use as a given. That will leave enough lee-way to 'imprint your own style' on any guide you make.

--Simple--

Wait, now I'm confused. Could you explain that again please? :unsure:

--Simple--

Wait, now I'm confused. Could you explain that again please? :unsure:

Sure Dis: All of those who write guides have their own way of writing, yet there is a uniqueness to the guides on Sal's as I explained here. Thus within the parameters set for writing a quest guide it is possible to write "your own" guide. Just the graphics are limited to how you take a screenie. The way I make mine is different from yours. But that is about the maximum lee-way you get: Due to the way the site is organized, and the limites set in this. The point is that should also be true for the dungeon guides, city guides, help guides or any other guide on the site. Just the rules for them are not clear....

--Simple--

Sure Dis: All of those who write guides have their own way of writing, yet there is a uniqueness to the guides on Sal's as I explained here. Thus within the parameters set for writing a quest guide it is possible to write "your own" guide. Just the graphics are limited to how you take a screenie. The way I make mine is different from yours. But that is about the maximum lee-way you get: Due to the way the site is organized, and the limites set in this. The point is that should also be true for the dungeon guides, city guides, help guides or any other guide on the site. Just the rules for them are not clear....

--Simple--

Okay, I gotcha now. I agree with what you said. If what I said before contradicts what you just said, write it off to... dru... being hi... sto... sleepiness. :unsure:

There are many different types of colourblindness. The majortity find distinguishing green difficult, but others have problems with red/yellow. So to cater for all colourblind people, we couldn't use red, orange, yellow or green.

If we catered for all colourblind people everything would have to be in black and white. :unsure: I find it difficult distinguishing between a large number of colour pairs. Here's a few of them:

• Yellow and Orange
  • Dark Blue and Purple
  • Light Green and Yellow
  • Dark Brown and Black
  • Cyan and White
  • Light Blue and Pale Pink
  • Orange and Olive Green
  • Turquouse and Green
  • Dark Pink and Purple
  • Red and Brown
  • Light Brown and Orange

I could list more pairs, but naming colours that I can't see is a near impossible job. Within that list I have mentioned all the Primary Colours and multiple Secondary Colours. If I'm not severely colourblind, then I want to know who you are trying to cater for.

and statistically it's much better to please the 95% of people with healthy eyes, by using colours, than the 3% with green-colourblindness.
And statistically it is better to please 98% of people by selecting the colours you use very carefully rather than carelessly selecting colours so that those who are colourblind can't use what they are supposed to be allowed to use. There was an update to the site in which Sal decided to re-format some of the tables because they didn't show up properly in a browser that something like 0.2% of people used. If 0.2% of people are worthy of being able to view tables properly, then 5% should be allowed to view images.

That was clearly done by an eight year old, clearly it doesn't represent what I want as a good quality map. If done properly and neatly, colours really do make things easier to see and make finding the correct place much simpler.

Colours are nowhere near as easy to understand and numbers or letters. If you put a number against an area then it looks neater as well as being useable by those who are colourblind.

There was a map that was posted a while ago that was labeled with colours. Every single colour that was on it had another colour that looked exactly the same as it to me. It seems like the thread was deleted, so I can't link to the map, but it was truely horrible to look at since the colours were so similar.

So instead of the 5% suffering, you propose that the other 95% should have a worse map? Really, that's appauling logic.

Maps with colours indictating areas being described are in my opinion much better and easier/clearer to read.

No, I propose that people understand that others are colourblind and that they should take this into account when making and labelling maps.

Colours are not clear to read for those who are colourblind. Numbers are better since they can be used easily by all audiences.

No offense to whoever made that map, but I agree its pretty ugly. :cry: There is just way too many lines and stuff. This map has numbers, which I like, but the font isnt just like a nice standard Arial or Verdana or something, and its hard to read because its black. Something like that, but with a readable color (white preferably, except on ice areas then it should be black) would be best IMO.

White and yellow contrast the majority of the World Map well since most of it is dark.

One thing I dont like is Neo's comment that "the majority usually overpowers the minority, especially if they are known to have more knowledge in the area being delt with." You arent the majority, you have the same voice as Thomas does and the same voice that I have.
I never stated who was the majority and who was the minority. Yes, Me and Simple have exactly the same voice as You or Thomas, but at what point did I see you writing long guides that set the trend for others in their genre? If you write guides then you have the ability to chose the content that goes into them. If you stand back and don't say anything then nothing will happen. If guide writers prefer non-transparent images and are willing to complain if images are transparent where they don't want them to be, then images will be non-transparent. Those who just stand around doing nothing won't change the world. You need to take action for anything to happen.

And I think what matters is the people USING the guides. I dont care if a pro GFXer thinks some graphical style is awesome, I actually think half the stuff people call "pro" (thats the highest quality of graphics) is very ugly and should be thrown out. What matter is the people viewing the graphics, if they look it or not. In this case, what matters is the people viewing the guides.

The people who read the guides don't complain. They sit back and accept what they are given. Guide writers feed the obvious majority most of the time. You can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time. If there was suddenly a poll created about aspects of guides and the results meant something had to be changed, something would be changed.

I like text scrolls then theyre transparent. It shows the text and none of the background that serves no point. Same with reward scrolls.
How does making a text-scroll transparent leave less useless space than by cropping it?

It has nothing to do with limiting the creativity of a writer just to set certain parameters that have to be adhered too.

At the moment the parimeters are too wide and need to be changed so that there is less room for junk to be created in the sections that are less covered - City and Dungeon Guides.

Perhaps you should write a guide explaining which colours not to use - not everyone is an expert on colourblindness. :unsure:

At the moment the parimeters are too wide and need to be changed so that there is less room for junk to be created in the sections that are less covered - City and Dungeon Guides.
But that is about the maximum lee-way you get: Due to the way the site is organized, and the limites set in this. The point is that should also be true for the dungeon guides, city guides, help guides or any other gutide on the site. Just the rules for them are not clear....
I think I covered that in the above quote.

--Simple--

Before I start, I have read all the posts. I decided not to quote them, as I will probably address a few in my post.

Firstly, you say that guides should have a conformity. Now, I agree with this to some point, some guides require this and others don't. I think that the guides that require conformity the most, are the Help Guides. They are basically different Volumes of the same issue, if you get my point. Now, Quest Guides, City Guides etc. shouldn't follow conformity in my opinion. Someone could give a complete tour starting from one end of the city, and noting everything they pass. Someone else could just look on a map, and map their course. Now, also consider that, even though I think you and Neo are great guide writers, probably the best we have, that someone else, could write a much more detailed and in depth guide. So, should he restrain himself from adding in extra information that could benefit us, but he doesn't because he must uphold conformity?

Monsters being transparent, I say "Whatever floats your boat". You the guide writer must make the decision wether your guide will look better with transparent images, or a raw image with background. Sometimes transparent images look better, sometimes they don't.

Basically, use your own unique style, and don't hold back. But try to keep the same layout, so that readers can switch from one guide to another without having to tackle it from another angle :aware:

JD, never I said writers do not have the liberty to have their own style. This is what I said:

I honestly think guides should resemble each other in structure, lay-out and writing style. That way people know what to expect from a guide, know where to look and ultimately decide whether they like our guides better than those of other fan-sites.

--Simple--