Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Warp

Are Humans Really Stupid Enough

Nov 18 2006

Mike Jones, Western Mail

A Welsh food firm last night hit out at bizarre rules that have forced it to explain that its 'dragon sausages' do not really contain dragons.

The company has been warned it could face legal action for misleading people that it uses dragon meat in its fiery sausages.

Trading standards chiefs are forcing the meat firm, Black Mountains Smokery, to include the word 'pork' on its labels for their Welsh Dragon Sausages, even though pork is already included on the list of ingredients - and dragons are obviously mythical.

The clampdown to satisfy the Government's Food Labelling Regulations was yesterday criticised by the Black Mountains Smokery boss.

Jon Carthew said the sausages had fallen foul of bureaucracy. 'I don't think any of our customers actually believe that we use dragon meat in our sausages,' he said. 'We use the word because the dragon is synonymous with Wales and I think everyone who buys from us knows that.'

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

His firm in Crickhowell turns out 200,000 sausages a year, with the Welsh Dragon Sausage including hot chilli.

His sausages, made from pork, leek and chilli, are sent to restaurants and stores all over Britain.

But he was stunned to get a warning letter from Powys County Council's Trading Standards Department, which had analysed his bangers.

It read, 'The public analyst has stated that the name Welsh Dragon Sausage is not sufficiently precise to inform a purchaser of the true nature of the food.

'It is recommended that you include the type of meat eg pork/beef in the name of the food.'

The consumer watchdogs swooped after being tipped off that the sausages were in breach of the 1996 Food Labelling Act of misleading description on their Welsh Dragon Sausage.

The trading standards department ran a full analysis - and proved there was no dragon in it. The firm was informed it was an offence and they were breaking the law because of the misleading name.

Mr Carthew was told that no further action was being taken but officials would be keeping a check on his products by taking samples in future.

The sausages are supplied by butcher Cashell and Son of Crickhowell, which was also sent the warning letter.

Mr Carthew, 45, who heads the three-worker family business, said, 'Have they nothing better to do? It states quite clearly on the label that pork is among the ingredients but they want pork to feature in the actual name of the product.

'It's ridiculous but we are having to comply by tacking the word pork on the end just to satisfy them.'

A Powys County Council spokesman said, 'The product 'Welsh Dragon Sausage' was not sufficiently precise to inform a purchaser of the true nature of the food. I don't think anyone would imagine that dragon meat was being used but we would not want vegetarians to buy the sausages believing they were meat free.

'We have recommended to the establishments that they include the type of meat in the name of the food.'

so what do you guys think: right on rules, or a waste of goverments money.

In this case, it's quite stupid that anyone would actually assume that the sausage contained real dragon meat.

But it does also state:

'It is recommended that you include the type of meat eg pork/beef in the name of the food.'

Doesn't recommended mean that it is not required but advised? As long as the ingredients are listed on the packaging or provided upon request, the product should not be forced to include the name of the main ingredient in its title.

indeed, wich makes it an even more useless effort since they say it isnt actually wrong but it is :ice:

I love how people are trying to have this enforced since Dragons are mythical creatures. Can't people just look at the ingredients? OF course it contains pork or some other type of meat from an animal that actually exists. :blink:

Ok, that is officially the dumbest law I have seen yet. O_O.

And really if you can't figure something that simple out your more retarded than my retarded second uncle O_O.

PS: How can they confirm it doesn't have dragon meat, being a dragon a mythical creature you can't test or describe the meat without knowing how it is first, so without knowing how the heck have they assumed that?

Edited by Cxkslei

They tested it to see if there was any dragon meat? :blink: And what did they compare it to?

I hate how so many people make fusses over the smallest things. :s

a waste of goverments money.

That one for sure. :evil:

what kind of dragon green, red, black, blue , king black, metal, or babybut seriously this is a waste of money and if u have an iq larger than this smiley ;) u can figure it out

There is always going to be someone there to pick at every thing. :)

Those people didn't do it because they're dumb... They do it because they want the money from sueing them...

That's why you see so many stupid stuff in manuals such as "Don't try to stop the electric saw with your hands"... Because people sues industries from it... There should be a limitation in sueing rights...

this wasnt some guy sueing them, this was the goverments food department. and the reason i think there "recommanding" it is just becuase they know they will loose it in court. So they try to reach thier goal be refraising it. wich happens alot more then you think :/

The consumer watchdogs swooped after being tipped off that the sausages were in breach of the 1996 Food Labelling Act of misleading description on their Welsh Dragon Sausage.

The government's food department became involved after these people reported them. "Consumer watchdogs" periodically need to show that they're actually doing something, but this is pretty stupid.

They should've emphasized the Welsh dragon part, like it's a brand name, instead of accepting the interpretation of being dragon sausages. If some company made "fiery hot sauce," would they get penalized for not having fire in the sauce?

Misleading? There are a lot of companies with food products that are misleading. The majority of humans I know are not that stupid, but it's possible. No one ACTUALLY knows if dragons are mythical or not.

"Damn them! I thought I was eating real King Black Dragon meat! LAWSUIT!"

Wow this is stupid beyond belief.

Some churches say that dragon's DID exist at one point....I think it was supposed to be when churches liek first started being built, or at least that is as far back as most people have heard of them.

But seriously, that is really stupid. And I agree with Buffi, why don't the "Fiery Hot Sauce" people get sued for not putting fire in the sauce? Just stupid. Plain, 124%, stupid.

WOW, this person who sued must be very un-educated or just anything about mythology, either way this is a big waste of governmant money. why would a person think there is dragon meat inside a sausage? is a question way beyond there intelligence.

I agree... But that happens more often than you think it does!

MAny people sues for stupid reasons just to get money. IE "THE ELECTRICAL SAW DIDN'T HAVE A WARNING SAYING THAT I SHOULDNT STOP IT WITH MY HANDS AND I DID! I'LL SUE THE COMPANY :D "

And actually all they want is the money.

Wow, another idiot added to my collection :P. You think that is dumb? Well i hear on the news a peanutbutter company got sued by somebody because they didn't put peanuts in the ingrediants list :D .

The trading standards department ran a full analysis - and proved there was no dragon in it.

i just just laughed at that.

waste of governments money, i meen running a full analysis only to discover there was no dragon in it? [sarcasim]completely normal thing to do.[/sarcasim]

I agree... But that happens more often than you think it does!

MAny people sues for stupid reasons just to get money. IE "THE ELECTRICAL SAW DIDN'T HAVE A WARNING SAYING THAT I SHOULDNT STOP IT WITH MY HANDS AND I DID! I'LL SUE THE COMPANY :jester: "

And actually all they want is the money.

That's what far too many people think. The right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and an attorney.

Edited by Masao

It's not a matter of them thinking they're actually misleading the p ublic, but a lot of companies would complain that those people do not get action taken against them, while the more obvious ones do. What you do for one, you have to do for all. Otherwise you're.. gonna get shot. :D

The trading standards department ran a full analysis - and proved there was no dragon in it. The firm was informed it was an offense and they were breaking the law because of the misleading name.

How do you prove something doesn't have dragon meat in it if you don't have any dragon meat to compare to the product?