Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
c0dex_

A Rule...

... proposing the banning of undescriptive/cliffhanger thread titles (see what I did there?).

They're annoying. They're a waste of time, and they're easy to correct. Just tell people they have to describe their topic to its fullest in the thread title and be on with it.

The thing that pushed me over the edge is a certain topic in the Debates forum on the legalization of drugs. The thread title is literally the following:

Legalization of ...

Thanks for telling me what you're debating there! People might say we don't need this, but we really do. It's common sense, it's an easy rule, and, in the end, it will improve the forum. Forums are indexes of threads - and should be treated as such, rather than just mere links to the threads. Having a dozen threads containing a noun that is secondary to the real topic in the thread title, and then putting the real title in the thread? What?

I hope people here can understand where I'm coming from on this one, and see how it simply makes sense to say that it must be done.

it gets people to click on a topic. what happens if you end up not liking what they posted? you lost 3 seconds of time and can go back and check out other threads

it gets people to click on a topic. what happens if you end up not liking what they posted? you lost 3 seconds of time and can go back and check out other threads

If you want someone to click on your topic, make a thread about something interesting.

If your thread is so uninteresting that you need a cliffhanger to attract attention, maybe it shouldn't be there in the first place.

Not to say all threads with cliffhangers are. It's not required, and it should cease to be a "marketing strategy" on this forum.

i still dont understand what the problem is. you see a cliffhanger. you click on the topic. you dont like the topic. you click back. you lose 3 seconds of your day (omg nooooo!) and you move on. its not a big deal :(

i still dont understand what the problem is. you see a cliffhanger. you click on the topic. you dont like the topic. you click back. you lose 3 seconds of your day (omg nooooo!) and you move on. its not a big deal :(

It's not about the time it takes. That's like saying spammy topics should be allowed because you can just not click on them/hit back once you realize it's spam.

If you still don't understand where I'm coming from, read my first post again. It's common sense that a thread title should describe your topic, not an irrelevant word such as "a" or "the" that you just may happen to find in the thread.

Half an Hours right, this is a forum to relax and have some fun, and you want to turn it into a place like RHQ which is too official in my opinion? No thanks, you have a problem with us having some fun you can go there. I still have to agree with Gillis, it only takes 1-3 seconds tops.

If a Cliffhanger thread contains correct info or serious info, even humorous as long as it isn't just scrambled words I don't see it as spam.

Edited by Cxkslei

Thanks for telling me what you're debating there!

But did you end up opening the topic? :D I bet you did. :mellow:

People might say we don't need this, but we really do. It's common sense, it's an easy rule, and, in the end, it will improve the forum. Forums are indexes of threads - and should be treated as such, rather than just mere links to the threads. Having a dozen threads containing a noun that is secondary to the real topic in the thread title, and then putting the real title in the thread? What?

Hmm, you're right, if we continue this way the internet may implode. :ice: But seriously, just lighten up. It takes two clicks to read and leave a topic. I can just picture grossly long titles explaining every little thing contained in a thread. It's not supposed to be an index, just a title. It is what the author makes it.

I hope people here can understand where I'm coming from on this one, and see how it simply makes sense to say that it must be done.

It makes sense to make a title pertaining to your topic. Therefore, something like "Legalization of..." makes good sense to me. I say to myself "Gee, I bet this thread is about the legalization of something!" Then I open it up and find "drugs!" Yay, I was right! :P Sorry I had a little too much fun there...

It's not about the time it takes. That's like saying spammy topics should be allowed because you can just not click on them/hit back once you realize it's spam.

No it isn't. Topics with a weird title and spam are completely unrelated.

Okay, guys. Apparently it doesn't make sense to have a thread title that describes your topic.

It's not like it keeps you from "relaxing," it keeps the forum easy to browse for the users. A little extra effort in the topic to describe the thread it the "title" (which probably shouldn't be called that in many cases) would really improve the "relaxation" of the "users" of the forum browsing it.

It makes sense to make a title pertaining to your topic. Therefore, something like "Legalization of..." makes good sense to me. I say to myself "Gee, I bet this thread is about the legalization of something!" Then I open it up and find "drugs!" Yay, I was right! tongue.gif Sorry I had a little too much fun there...

Okay, since you're thinking that, mentally arrange the following in the order of which makes the most sense to post as the topic:

1) Drugs

2) Legalization of ...

3) Legalization of Drugs in America

Or, take, for example, my thread title. I satirically used the title "A Rule ...", despite the fact that it takes little to no effort to create a thread title that accurately described my topic.

All I'm proposing here is a little common sense - and my previous posts explain in detail how there is really no explanation to posting a thread title that doesn't describe the main topic of your post.

Edited by SgtCodex

We allow people to post a thread title the way they wish, we do not enforce censorship except against flaming, or cursing, however you still make it sound like every thread has to have the title be about what its about like official documents when half of them are lies. We do not need to be official, it costed you what 3-5 seconds of your life max to figure out what it was about?

Its not like you can't just go and use the Search feature to find topics that you like.

... proposing the banning of undescriptive/cliffhanger thread titles (see what I did there?).

They're annoying. They're a waste of time, and they're easy to correct. Just tell people they have to describe their topic to its fullest in the thread title and be on with it.

The thing that pushed me over the edge is a certain topic in the Debates forum on the legalization of drugs. The thread title is literally the following:

Legalization of ...

Thanks for telling me what you're debating there! People might say we don't need this, but we really do. It's common sense, it's an easy rule, and, in the end, it will improve the forum. Forums are indexes of threads - and should be treated as such, rather than just mere links to the threads. Having a dozen threads containing a noun that is secondary to the real topic in the thread title, and then putting the real title in the thread? What?

Geez man, you're way to uptight. Like half an hour said, this is a place to have fun or relax.

We allow people to post a thread title the way they wish, we do not enforce censorship except against flaming, or cursing, however you still make it sound like every thread has to have the title be about what its about like official documents when half of them are lies. We do not need to be official, it costed you what 3-5 seconds of your life max to figure out what it was about?

Its not like you can't just go and use the Search feature to find topics that you like.

Also bieng able to post like that people can finish their sentence in the post instead of saying, " title" or "topic" or "^title^. Meaning it help stops one word posting.

Okay, guys. Apparently it doesn't make sense to have a thread title that describes your topic.

It makes sense, you're just going a little overboard.

Okay, since you're thinking that, mentally arrange the following in the order of which makes the most sense to post as the topic:

1) Drugs

2) Legalization of ...

3) Legalization of Drugs in America

Are you trying to say there's one best way to make a title? :P All of those things are just fine. All you have to do is open the topic to find out more.

Or, take, for example, my thread title. I satirically used the title "A Rule ...", despite the fact that it takes little to no effort to create a thread title that accurately described my topic.

And ironically, I didn't have a problem figuring what this topic was about. Based on your title and the section you posted in, I knew you were suggesting a new rule. Then I opened the topic and read your post to find out what kind of rule you suggested. It wasn't difficult. :(

You are just suggesting something unnecessary. Topic titles don't have to be 100% accurate because it's so simple to open the topic to read it, especially since if you plan on posting in there you should read the entire topic anyway.

All I'm proposing here is a little common sense - and my previous posts explain in detail how there is really no explanation to posting a thread title that doesn't describe the main topic of your post.

I'm also proposing common sense. When you see a title that says "A Rule..." or "Legalization of..." you should easily be able to determine what the thread is about based on that information and the section it is in.

It doesn't bother me a bit. Sometimes they even give me a little chuckle. If you're seriously bothered by it, don't waste a few seconds of your life by choosing to not view the topic.

It doesn't bother me a bit. Sometimes they even give me a little chuckle. If you're seriously bothered by it, don't waste a few seconds of your life by choosing to not view the topic.

It's really not about time. I don't care that my 3 seconds are gone - it's about usability and correct and effective use of the search feature.

So you want to eliminate fun, end the possibility of stopping one word post, and be official?

Then please go to a different site. There is only 3 places we need to talk like officials, those three are:

Website & Forum Announcements

Guides In Progress

Website or Forum Suggestions

As for correctness it still is correct, it is a debate on the legalization of marijuana, you want me to give you some advice at this point? Heres a bit of wisdom, at this point you should probably give up because everyone's against you.

So you want to eliminate fun, end the possibility of stopping one word post, and be official?

Then please go to a different site. There is only 3 places we need to talk like officials, those three are:

Website & Forum Announcements

Guides In Progress

Website or Forum Suggestions

As for correctness it still is correct, it is a debate on the legalization of marijuana, you want me to give you some advice at this point? Heres a bit of wisdom, at this point you should probably give up because everyone's against you.

I fail to see how me suggesting this eliminates fun and ends the possibility of stopping one word posts. I can much more easily enjoy myself in not an official forum - I hate pure professionality without the possibility of joking around, spelling incorrectly, and the like.

I support things I think will improve the forum in the end. It's not about sounding official - I couldn't care less if your title is "Life, Liberty, and Society as We Know it: An Analysis of The World Communities, Individually and as an Entirety" or simply "Allowing What Age to Vote."

And with regards to you understanding that "legalization of ..." means "the legalization of something, and it is just as descriptive as the other": that's like the difference between sentences such as "It runs." and "My dog runs in the field." One simply states an incredibly broad subject, where anything could be performing an action, and one describes the topic. The somewhat more descriptive title will be more useful in searches - simply put, nobody will search the debates forum for topics on the "legalization of things," though they are much more likely to search for "drugs" to get a debate on the topic.

I think you have a serious misconception of the Search feature, it picks up every post containing the word(s) you are searching for, it took you 3 seconds to figure out it was about the legalization of marijuana and besides if the topic is on something you would normally disreguard but as a strange, bizzarre or cut off title you may read about it and find out you actually are interested in it, psychology of temptation. A rule like the one you proposed is just utterly stupid.

i totally agree with cxkslei... we dont want this forum to become like the evil Runehq forum which is strict and too official, we want this forum to be fun..

Where was that in his post? He is not taking a legalistic point of view at all.

His point was simple: Topic titles are there for a reason. There are so many threads and topics you have to go through to find the ones you are actually interested in. It is helpful if the topic titles and descriptions actually tell what is going to be in the discussion.

Sometimes, in a way of having fun, we might mislabel a lighthearted topic or post a 'cliffhanger' title but its all in fun. If your topic is a serious discussion or debate, whats the point of a 'cliffhanger' title? It might attract people who otherwise would'nt be interested but also it might deter others who might ordinarily be interested.

Its not a "rule" we should make, but rather a suggestion. It's just curteous to provide proper information on the discussion at hand.

Half an Hours right, this is a forum to relax and have some fun, and you want to turn it into a place like RHQ which is too official in my opinion? No thanks, you have a problem with us having some fun you can go there. I still have to agree with Gillis, it only takes 1-3 seconds tops.

If a Cliffhanger thread contains correct info or serious info, even humorous as long as it isn't just scrambled words I don't see it as spam.

There it is, CXK's first post.

scroll up to cxkslei's 1st post and then you will see.

And see what may I ask? CXK was correct. There is no reason to make an official rule about this and to warn people for doing it. And I agree with him that a cliffhanger topic title is not spam. However, it is courteous to your fellow Slammers to give a complete title showing what is going to be discussed.

Hope that clears things up a little.

There it is, CXK's first post.

scroll up to cxkslei's 1st post and then you will see.

And see what may I ask? CXK was correct. There is no reason to make an official rule about this and to warn people for doing it. And I agree with him that a cliffhanger topic title is not spam. However, it is courteous to your fellow Slammers to give a complete title showing what is going to be discussed.

Hope that clears things up a little.

Sorry if you got the impression that I thought a cliffhanger was spam - I was comparing them in that it only takes one or two seconds to realize a post is spam and skip it, but that does not mean it is any better a problem - it's just easier not to have it.

Also, I'll give in now - I now agree that it really shouldn't be a rule (not to change my stance on that it would be better to avoid cliffhangers/indescrpitive titles).

Edited by SgtCodex

One simply states an incredibly broad subject, where anything could be performing an action, and one describes the topic. The somewhat more descriptive title will be more useful in searches - simply put, nobody will search the debates forum for topics on the "legalization of things," though they are much more likely to search for "drugs" to get a debate on the topic.

But what's honestly wrong with posting a broad title? It's virtually impossible to cover exactly what's contained in a topic in the title. It's not necessary to try to make your titles as specific as possible.

Sometimes, in a way of having fun, we might mislabel a lighthearted topic or post a 'cliffhanger' title but its all in fun. If your topic is a serious discussion or debate, whats the point of a 'cliffhanger' title? It might attract people who otherwise would'nt be interested but also it might deter others who might ordinarily be interested.

In my brutally honest opinion, it almost certainly will not deter people who'd normally be interested. It's just a title, and if it is very broad or contains a cliffhanger then it won't turn people away from opening the topic.

Its not a "rule" we should make, but rather a suggestion. It's just curteous to provide proper information on the discussion at hand.

It's curteous to post a good title, but my definition of a good title is clearly different from SgtCodex's. They don't have to be absolutely specific to be acceptable.

Also, I'll give in now - I now agree that it really shouldn't be a rule (not to change my stance on that it would be better to avoid cliffhangers/indescrpitive titles).

I think it's more interesting that way. :greenhat:

Edited by Monte Kyle