Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FireStint

Reputation Points System

Recently after reading Princess Sjd's blog which she said she got warned for complementing other people's guides, I think that perhaps this suggestion of mine would help to overcome this problem.

Instead of allowing people to post thank-you posts and complementing posts, why not have a system where forumers are allowed to distribute points to other members? This is not like the warning system. I prefer to call it "reputation points" system. People add points to you when they feel that your post is useful to them. For example, after reading your guide, I feel that the guide has helped me. So, I just click on your reputation points located under your profile and your points will be increased. This way, post counts and spams can be reduced, while at the same time causing forumers to feel productive, wanting to contribute more to the forum.

However, to avoid friends giving points to each other in order to boost their reputation points, perhaps something like this should be done, you cannot constantly add points to one member only, meaning that you have to spread the points to other people first before giving to the same person again. Or admins simply can help to regulate the reputation points system to avoid members intentionally giving points to their friends.

I don't know if this idea would work here, but I have seen it at another forum, and the result was great. So much spamming reduced and forumers there try their best to contribute to the forum.

Edited by firestint

I have another forum I go to that has this system. But they call it Karma :xd: I don't suggest it for this forum. But it would be interesting to see what happened if it were to be introduced. This would be just another big load on the shoulders for our moderators to deal with :P

I think its a cool idea, they also have a reputation points system on Gamerenders, but I don't think its fully needed, some might feel left out, and there might be favouritism.

The other problem is that it could be easy abused, but an idea to avoid that could be to make it so that you can only rep a certain person every 24 hours or something, and you have to have a certain amount of points. :xd:

Heres the mod for it:

http://mods.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/6192

I'm not sure if thats the right one though. :P

EDIT: I agree with n1k, it would be harder for the moderators.

Edited by Prashanna

People should be able to report a Reputation add or distraction as well then. What's the difference of posting something dislikable in a post or in a reputation add/distract? It will be reported, and the violator will be dealt with.

This system is also in use on NarutoFan and I like it a lot.

I support, but warms should still bet there, for example, if someone is less-than-perfect in post content but most people like them and they are well known, then they should be able to add reputation points for their good posts, but they would still be warned if they are rude etc.

Problem: Super competition between members for reputation points. :xd:

You also mentioned the just-give-your-friends-points problem, and while you tried to offer a way to avoid it, I don't think it's possible to successfully eliminate it.

I think people should just avoid spam, and post something other than "good guide." Perhaps include what makes it helpful and how to possibly improve it... you know just so you are making contributions to something, which is what I think the point of the guides area is.

Edited by Monte Kyle

I think it would be a good idea. It will give you a chance to write what you really think about others. Will you be able to leave a comment as well as increasing their reputation count? I think that ould be good.

I support :xd:

~SilentWolf

Problem: Super competition between members for reputation points.

My sentiments exactly. I see a lot of members sending me PMs like this: "How come I didn't get rep points? My guide pwned his!" Blah blah...

It sounds nice, and it is possible that it would work. So we have to weight the negatives against the positives. Is it worth the competition that will show its ugly face if this were implemented?

Master Neverdead is right, but hes also wrong.

Look at the fact that ppl could just give pontuation points to friends, and that. It would not be a good thing. I disagree, even tho it should be good if doing in another way.

I like this suggestion. I have seen similar things happen on different boards and so far they have all been successful. This way people can add support without the spamming. So there would be the warns still (when people are breaking rules), and then rep where the non mods give their opinion on that person from what they post in the forum. Sounds good! So i support this :huh:

Look at the fact that ppl could just give pontuation points to friends, and that. It would not be a good thing.

I think we can all agree that this system can't be seen as a contest. Once we get over that, you'll realise that it doesn't matter how many times friends rep eachother. The system wil lbe used to rate someone if they made a particular good or bad post. It's a way to clear spam lik "haha that was funny" or "Spell better please."

I'm all up for it.

Still I think if someones going to say nice guide they should say what part or how it benefitted them or point out mistakes as for the reputation points, I can see that going bizzarre because a lot of people would give to me some wouldn't and some people just hate me so we have bitterness being mixed with butter and that can't be good.

Still I think if someones going to say nice guide they should say what part or how it benefitted them or point out mistakes as for the reputation points, I can see that going bizzarre because a lot of people would give to me some wouldn't and some people just hate me so we have bitterness being mixed with butter and that can't be good.

Well mods should be able to mod the rep system aswell normally. So if someone neg-reps you out of hate, they can be warned for it etc. And you could also make rules on what minimum to post in a rep log. :lol:

My sentiments exactly. I see a lot of members sending me PMs like this: "How come I didn't get rep points? My guide pwned his!" Blah blah...

It sounds nice, and it is possible that it would work. So we have to weight the negatives against the positives. Is it worth the competition that will show its ugly face if this were implemented?

Exactly. If we had it, there would be tons of competition to get the best reputation, and people could abuse it and say "if you give me +rep I'll give you +rep". Of course you'd need to give a reason, but you could find a valid reason easilly. Just posting a guide could get you +25 rep, while being a good poster might get you +25 rep over a period of a month or more. Also personal grudges would cause you to give out -rep. Or in the debate room, if someone doesn't agree with your opinion you might give them a -rep for saying they were very rude. It just wouldn't work, and honestly there is no reason for it.

Your friend was probably warned for bumping a guide or spamming, not complimenting a guide. :s

But what could be a "hate post" to another may not be considered a "hate post" to those "outside" the "inside" hate...

A lot of "" I know. :s

The other problem is that it could be easy abused, but an idea to avoid that could be to make it so that you can only rep a certain person every 24 hours or something, and you have to have a certain amount of points.

A month would be better in my opinion.

It does become rather obvious if people are doing that. Besides, it's just a picture of how most people see you, not how everybody does. :)

Will you be able to leave a comment as well as increasing their reputation count? I think that ould be good.

Yes.

Nobody seems to do it at GameRenders. :( Besides, the respected, responsible people who are more likely to gain reputation are the people who are less likely to start a "Give me REP" campaign.

Well mods should be able to mod the rep system aswell normally. So if someone neg-reps you out of hate, they can be warned for it etc. And you could also make rules on what minimum to post in a rep log.

I wouldn't say warned for a one time occasion. I think you should only be warned if it is continually done. ;)

Exactly. If we had it, there would be tons of competition to get the best reputation, and people could abuse it and say "if you give me +rep I'll give you +rep". Of course you'd need to give a reason, but you could find a valid reason easilly. Just posting a guide could get you +25 rep, while being a good poster might get you +25 rep over a period of a month or more. Also personal grudges would cause you to give out -rep. Or in the debate room, if someone doesn't agree with your opinion you might give them a -rep for saying they were very rude. It just wouldn't work, and honestly there is no reason for it.

The Reputation system isn't a guide as to the way a person is. If you have 238 Rep and some other guy has 47 Rep, all it says is that more people have liked was he has done than others. It's not made to make people like shizzle or to make them feel great, it's made to show people the way others feel about them in general.

But what could be a "hate post" to another may not be considered a "hate post" to those "outside" the "inside" hate...

Do not allow any form of Rep to be given in the Debate forum, and ban giving - Rep for differences in opinion. ;)

I'm all for this, as you've probably guessed. :P

I suggested this a long time ago and nobody really thought it was a good idea then - I'm glad it has support now!

Here's my solution: Make it so that everyone can read everyone's reputation add/subtract logs. If anyone notices something suspicious (i.e. the same two people have rated each other several times for no real good reason), they can report the reputation change to a moderator, who can delete the points given/subtracted and possibly ban the people from the system for a while.

There should be an option to leave an anonymous comment and rating so people can say what they really think. Of course, moderators should be able to see who the comment was from.

I like the idea. I think there are a lot of things that aren't really punishment worthy, like slight disrespect or a condescending tone or something - these are the things that would get rated by reputation and not warns.

Here's my solution: Make it so that everyone can read everyone's reputation add/subtract logs.

I think it comes like that. :P

There should be an option to leave an anonymous comment and rating so people can say what they really think.

That's a good idea as well. :(

Im for it, it sounds pretty cool! I dont think this forum will have a problem with it, and we can have a trial run. If we cant handle, then remove it.

~Mole

Do not allow any form of Rep to be given in the Debate forum, and ban giving - Rep for differences in opinion. ;)

I'm all for this, as you've probably guessed. ;)

The "hate posts" do not necesarily apply solely in the Debate Room. :)

It can happen anywhere. ;)

I'm actually for this... but in anything there will be potential problems which would be better thrown out for discussion.

Another concern I have is "elitism". How to counter that? :(

And this *might* make the gap between newcomer and regular and "oldie" ( I'm sure some will consider them one :P ) even wider than it already is. :/

late edit to add a point:

If the kinks could be worked out, it would be good, also should it only be for those who write guides?

why not all us little people who help with all myriad little problems?

++

Edited by .Un0

I like the idea, unfortunately, as has been said before, you will end up with people rating everyone, and my inbox flooded with spam asking to rate them...

If the kinks could be worked out, it would be good, also should it only be for those who write guides?

I like the idea, unfortunately, as has been said before, you will end up with people rating everyone, and my inbox flooded with spam asking to rate them...

Personally for the inbox I would like it if I could set it so only certain people could pm me but I can't find that feature.

Once again, just the people that hate others and like others comes into play, I still have yet to see a decent solution other than mods when don't they have enough to do?

and my inbox flooded with spam asking to rate them...

I think Master Neverdead said that because he's an admin. I doubt the normal forum members will have this as a big problem to deal with.

Once again, just the people that hate others and like others comes into play

Yes. I do honestly think it's a neat idea, but I just don't see it functioning properly. Here are a few more examples:

1. Liking and disliking of each other would influence how members distribute reputation points.

2. Less known people would by default not receive as much attention, and therefore less reputation points. I know this is odd, but it reminds me of college admissions. Sometimes an Arabic (just a random example) will get into a university while a smarter white student doesn't, or a richer person will get in while a smarter middle class student doesn't. The smarter person is more deserving of entrance to the university, but he lacks a detail that shouldn't be taken into account and is therefore penalized for it.

3. In relation to number 2, the well-known, well-received members will receive a lot of reputation points from the forum members than very intelligent posters that nobody knows of.

Edited by Monte Kyle