Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FireStint

Reputation Points System

I don't know if you guys are browsing the same sal's as I am doing, because this place isn't filled with abusers waiting for this system to come out in my eyes. :box:

Never trust the shadows.

If I had any idea how to write the code I would try but I am already workingon a Halloween skin to give Sal as a Christmas gift for next year.

Well, ok, here's an idea: Let the members moderate it.

Every post will have a "ratings tied to this post - 0" link somewhere on it (and the number will say 0 if there are 0, 1 if there's 1..) - if you click that, you'd see the ratings the person got for making that post. Then, each rating will have a "Do you agree with this rating?" thing where you can choose yes or no. If a rating gets an overwhelming majority (and enough votes - i.e. a 100% disagree rate because 1 person voted doesn't cut it :box: ), then a moderator gets automatically notified of it and they can choose.

I dunno if this is actually possible, but it would at least help in removing "cheating" from the system.

Well, ok, here's an idea: Let the members moderate it.

Every post will have a "ratings tied to this post - 0" link somewhere on it (and the number will say 0 if there are 0, 1 if there's 1..) - if you click that, you'd see the ratings the person got for making that post. Then, each rating will have a "Do you agree with this rating?" thing where you can choose yes or no. If a rating gets an overwhelming majority (and enough votes - i.e. a 100% disagree rate because 1 person voted doesn't cut it :box: ), then a moderator gets automatically notified of it and they can choose.

I dunno if this is actually possible, but it would at least help in removing "cheating" from the system.

I don't think there is a mod like that. Hrrm... anyone here willing to attempt to program it?

I like this idea, and I remember this being suggested a long time ago, and I even liked it then. :) It's a good way to show other members how helpful another member is, based on the quality of their topics, posts and comments, and lets a person know what they're doing is right (or wrong). Perhaps it would be more helpful than the warning system we have in place, as currently, we can only warn members for breaking rules (or un-warn them after awhile of good behavior), and this will let everyone know just how helpful a person is.

Quite honestly, I though (at first) that a system such as this might lead to competitions. But why would it? There's no benefit to having a good reputation, besides letting other members know that you're a helpful forumer. It's not like mods will favor people with high reps, and be harder on people with lower reps, and it's not like we're handing out rewards for having the highest rep here. On the topic of people raising friends' reps or lowering others' reps for unjust reasons: we can remove them and warn the user for abusing the system. Besides, if someone is helpful enough, one bad rating out of 10 good ones isn't going to have much of an impact anyways. :hellfire:

If anyone's interested, here's a screenshot of the user-side of the rep system:

http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=repimg16zn.png

As you can see, you can either approve (+) or disapprove (-) of a person's post, leave a comment, and a link to the post is left. So these can be moderated without much of a problem. :rofl:

Edit:

@Cam - a mod of a mod... how interesting. :D the only problem is that a good chunk of the hack itself needs to be rewritten to allow members to agree/disagree with the rating, and to prevent a member from agreeing/disagreeing with either their own rating, or voting multiple times for the same one.

Why are you using IE? :hellfire: :D :)

I guess we should just try it out, and if after a week or so we (the mod team :rofl: ) decide that it just isn't working out it can be removed. If it works, maybe even hide warn levels. Make them private again, and have the reputation the thing that all members are able to see. Warn levels should stay, of course, and mods would still use the warn system as its used now. :) By the way, would adding the report button to reputation be difficult? That way if I feel I've been wrongly repped then I could report it and have a mod look it over.

Edited by Steve

I'd say this idea might work. Although not many people go on one anothers blogs. No one goes on mine(thats okay)but we are getting rep. points for people who like us? This to me sounds like the rating system we have for the negative numbers and positive ones.

Edited by Darkblister4

I actually STOLE that screenshot from IZE. :D I wouldn't be caught using Internet Exploder! :rofl:

Seeing as IPB 2.2 has just been released today, it might be best to wait until we upgrade to install/try out the rep system (if we do). By then, the report center will be upgraded to a much better version, and it might be possible to integrate the report feature with the rep system. :hellfire:

I don't think there is a mod like that.

Ok, since I have no idea, it was worth a shot. :hellfire:

As you can see, you can either approve (+) or disapprove (-) of a person's post, leave a comment, and a link to the post is left. So these can be moderated without much of a problem. :rofl:

Are anon comments possible?

If it works, maybe even hide warn levels. Make them private again, and have the reputation the thing that all members are able to see.

I like it! The public warn levels -have- helped - previously, people were just like "Doesn't matter, as long as I don't get to 7."

we are getting rep. points for people who like us? This to me sounds like the rating system we have for the negative numbers and positive ones.

The goal is for it to not be that. Well, of course, it is that, but you wouldn't be rating someone just because you (dis)like them.

The rating system is only a log for moderators, though - this is for all members.

Internut Exploder

Fixed.

If it works, maybe even hide warn levels. Make them private again, and have the reputation the thing that all members are able to see.

Maybe. :D There's not really much of point of having both visible, especially when warn levels are primarily for mods, and the rep system is based on the community's perspective.

Ok, since I have no idea, it was worth a shot. tongue.gif

I'm pretty sure you need to be a member to post comments, and most likely you *must* fill something in to add rep. I like your idea about agreeing/disagreeing with ratings, and now that I think about it, maybe just a bit of minor modification to the mod itself would be needed. I would have to look at the code first, but it's definitely possible. :)

Internut Exploder

Fixed.

Oops, thanks. :P Where's the blush emote when you need it? :o

At first I came to this topic with mainly negative feelings. I figured it would only result in competition, and that only the well-known members will even be bothered to get votes (and I still believe the latter will occur). I guess there just isn't a way around that.

However, since I have an open mind, and I did actually think the idea was interesting in the first place, and in light of the offered solutions, I think I'd be interested to see how this plays out, if ever.

I think solely relying on this reputaion system is not a good idea as there is no real way to enforce this perfectly. I believe the existing method is quite efficeint. The number of posts show how much you are active within the forums. "Hey wait" you say, "what about spammers that just post spam to get post up".

What are the mods and admins for? They are there to help people and to ensure that spammers are not left unaccountable. The voting methods would let friends vote for each other and just because you got pked or lost a stake with a player or seemed to disagree with him on an issue etc... you might vote to decrease his reputation.

This is quite unfair and might allow people that are not very liked and exactly helpful to have high reputation and vice-versa. People who might be trustworthy, honest , and helpful might get low reputation due to any of the reason I posted in the second paragraph or any other reason.

I think solely relying on this reputaion system is not a good idea as there is no real way to enforce this perfectly. I believe the existing method is quite efficeint. The number of posts show how much you are active within the forums.

This has nothing to do with how active people are. It has to do with how people see them and the way they act.

The voting methods would let friends vote for each other and just because you got pked or lost a stake with a player or seemed to disagree with him on an issue etc... you might vote to decrease his reputation.

You would then be punished and trust me, people would learn very quickly from 1-2 week suspensions.

I think solely relying on this reputaion system is not a good idea as there is no real way to enforce this perfectly. I believe the existing method is quite efficeint. The number of posts show how much you are active within the forums.

This has nothing to do with how active people are. It has to do with how people see them and the way they act.

The voting methods would let friends vote for each other and just because you got pked or lost a stake with a player or seemed to disagree with him on an issue etc... you might vote to decrease his reputation.

You would then be punished and trust me, people would learn very quickly from 1-2 week suspensions.

Just still one question remains?

Would a member be able to report something in their own log if they feel it was unjust?

I guess I am for it as long as it doesn't result in a competition and if a competition starts being seen possibly suspend both competitors from the system. However if the system gets out of hand I vote on that account for a full and swifty removal in such a cause.

Just still one question remains?

Would a member be able to report something in their own log if they feel it was unjust?

I guess I am for it as long as it doesn't result in a competition and if a competition starts being seen possibly suspend both competitors from the system. However if the system gets out of hand I vote on that account for a full and swifty removal in such a cause.

I think they would be able to report something, but it would only be looked at if it was a serious complaint explaining the reasons its unjust, not just OMG OMG HE J00ST GAVE ME BD REPUTAION?!?!?!

I am for it, I think its a great way for forumers to show how much they appreciate each other. I agree with Cxk though, if it turns into a competition, say people would put ask people to add to their points, I think they should just stop the whole thing.

~SilentWolf

Of course. It would be up the Mods to have the final say in it though. :D

That also brings up another thing: For "Is this rep fair" trails, it should be up to the Mod who deals with the case, not the entire Mod team. That would put more stress than needed upon the procedure. If a Mod feels they need help, they can always ask of course. :P

I think mybb has it on their system, they call it "reputation" :evil:

i didn't like it because people can put multiple reps and all that

itl be okay if they caln edit it instead of making multiple ratings, something like double posting