Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Deadazer

New Forum Rule/rule Update

Looking around the forum, while not logged in, I found a few posts that contained email addresses of the poster. I originally thought there was a forum rules that stated not to post email addresses, which I was wrong.

There are many sites and forums with such a rule to protect forum members. I would like to see a similar rule here, too.

My reasoning... If you are a member you can see the email address of a poster if they have not set their address to private. But if you are a guest you cannot see a users profile. Why? You don't want everyone in the world reading your profile or getting your email that is listed, when you first register, until you set it to private.

The rule would simply state that you could not post your email address, home address or telephone number in a thread.(Similar to rule 13, posted in the forum rules)

I would appreciate your feedback on this.

-DeadAzer

I disagree.

Normally if someone posts their email in a thread, they want to make it available.

If it was to merely a few people, Pms would be used(in all common sense).

I think we should have this rule of not containing Email addresses in posts. I think it is great privacy to have that and I am sure others will like it. Though, there is an option to add your MSN in your profile so I am sure that MSN can be the person's Email.

Well, posts are posts and profiles are profiles so I think there is a difference and it's not the same. Good idea, ÐædÃzêr. I support it. :P

I have to agree with Uno here, and do you know how little of my mail I actually read, I mean my email.

Look I don't care email me and I'll prove it.

[email protected]

I read roughly 1/150 emails I get, why because most of them either sound stupid or are spam mail. You could have 150 people email me, and I'll answer 1 and delete the rest probably.

PS: That's just one of my spare emails, not my main.

And if people want to say where they are let them, however where it becomes specific address I see your point, as well as phone numbers so just they cannot post their specific address or telephone number makes more sense.

The point is that someone CHOOSES to post his e-mail address to be publically viewable - so it's not a privacy issue. It's like I went around town in my underwear (or even less) and asked people not to look at me because they'd be violating my privacy. :P

I support this suggestion, simply because one can easily post a fake address claiming it to be their own, thus making it possible to get that address spammed.

Atleast, I don't see any harm applying this suggestion. Members can still see e-mail address on user profile, if the user wants it. Or, user can PM the address to those (s)he wants to.

Edited by Kuittaa

Normally if someone posts their email in a thread, they want to make it available.
Yes, but do they want everyone on the web to see it or just Sal members? If a nonmember looks at a post that someone has posted and requests things emailed to them all that nonmember has to do is make an account.

Well, posts are posts and profiles are profiles so I think there is a difference and it's not the same.
Every time you make a post your profile is next to it. All someone has to do it click the poster's profile, not hard at all.

The point is that someone CHOOSES to post his e-mail address to be publically viewable - so it's not a privacy issue. It's like I went around town in my underwear (or even less) and asked people not to look at me because they'd be violating my privacy.
The same type of thing can be argued about posting inappropriate images. Is it my problem that they looked?

The reason we have a rule against inappropriate images is to protect our members. Just as this rule would be doing.

You realize this could easier be fixed, theres a mod that makes it that only members can view post, I forget where it is though. Wouldn't that be easier?

You realize this could easier be fixed, theres a mod that makes it that only members can view post, I forget where it is though. Wouldn't that be easier?
Yes, that would be an easy way to fix the problem. But, some boards are open to the public and others are private(members only) now. There must have been a reason why certain boards are public and others are not.

Until the day comes that Salmoneus wants to make the whole forum private we need this rule to help keep the forum members safe.

Yes, that would be an easy way to fix the problem. But, some boards are open to the public and others are private(members only) now. There must have been a reason why certain boards are public and others are not.

Until the day comes that Salmoneus wants to make the whole forum private we need this rule to help keep the forum members safe.

I don't see why we need this as a rule when we have survived thus far without it.

I think that, as long as we need to protect our members, we don't need to be their soccer moms. :aware:

The same type of thing can be argued about posting inappropriate images. Is it my problem that they looked?
There's a difference between posting inappropriate images and posting one's e-mail address - one might NOT want to look at those 'images' and yet, since someone posted them, one is 'forced' to view them - whereas if I post my e-mail address no one at all is forced to e-mail me.

there are about 5 differant e-mail/msm/chat forms in peoples profile to fill out i think that should be gone and if someone wants to e-mail them they should PM and ask

there are about 5 differant e-mail/msm/chat forms in peoples profile to fill out i think that should be gone and if someone wants to e-mail them they should PM and ask

And do you know how annoying I find pms when I can just leave the info there and makes my life a LOT easier.

There's a difference between posting inappropriate images and posting one's e-mail address - one might NOT want to look at those 'images' and yet, since someone posted them, one is 'forced' to view them - whereas if I post my e-mail address no one at all is forced to e-mail me.

Firstly, I said same type; I am not saying they are 100% the same.

Secondly, have you ever thought that some of us are 'forced' to see others email addresses in a post but don't want to see them? If I want to see their email address I should have the right to look in their profile(if they have it listed). Just like I have a right to look on other sites for inappropriate images.

And do you know how annoying I find pms when I can just leave the info there and makes my life a LOT easier.
Then set your email address in your profile to public. :aware:

Well... I doubt Salmoneus would want to make the forum a "private" board. No offense but that sounds disturbingly like the "stop all new registrations because newcomers are destroying Sals" sentiment that swept the boards before.

You have a choice to post your email or not.

I don't see why we need this as a rule when we have survived thus far without it.
There.

I think that, as long as we need to protect our members, we don't need to be their soccer moms. :aware:

No need for too much coodling.

The Staff aren't meant to be our parents anyway.

edit: On harassing emails and hatemail coming from the boards, I've experienced it first-hand on several occasions. I set my email to private and blocked the emails of the harasser and problem solved.

edit 2: Uhm, like pointed out, people normally post their email because they want people to contact them. Much like a "If you are interested, contact me at this email" thing. ^^

Edited by .Un0

Secondly, have you ever thought that some of us are 'forced' to see others email addresses in a post but don't want to see them?

Unless one suffers from a very rare and weird psychological disorder, seeing email addresses isn't offensive for anyone... :aware:

Secondly, have you ever thought that some of us are 'forced' to see others email addresses in a post but don't want to see them?

Unless one suffers from a very rare and weird psychological disorder, seeing email addresses isn't offensive for anyone... :aware:

Offensive? No, but asking for someones home address or telephone number isn't offensive yet it is against the rules. Why? To protect the members. Most people fill out more than just your name to sign up for an email address.

My point, I had a good friend "hack" my personal information with just an email address to show me how easy it was. Took him less than 120 seconds to pull up all the "safe" information on my yahoo, hotmail and gmail accounts.

I think we need the rule to help protect our members. Just like rule 13 tries to do.

But if we used that to protect our members, we should disable all thje contact information in one's profile, too. :aware:

Not everyone can 'hack' like your friend you know.

If this 'hacking' danger is possible,then I don't think we should even have an e-mail account anymore.

And do you want to tell me who signs up for an email address with their real information?

For the address I put some random place like 666 Devil's Lane, Erebus.

Erebus is Greek for the underworld basically.

You want to tell me how or what prompted you to not use an alias?

But if we used that to protect our members, we should disable all thje contact information in one's profile, too. :aware:
That would certainly help the situation though I am not asking for that.

Think of it this way. You are thinking of robbing a bank. Would you rather rob a bank with no guards, cameras, locks or people in it or a bank with cameras and people, maybe a guard but you don't know? 99% of people would pick. The "easy" bank which is like an email address in a post. There is nobody there to stop anyone from taking and abusing that address. Now if someone really wants an email address they can get it but it will take a bit of work. Registering an account, looking up the member and if they have their email address on public, take it.

The key to stop someone is time. If you can add things to slow down someone you have more time to catch them.

There are plenty of other sites that people post their email addresses on that are free and easy to take. Why spend the time making an account and getting the information when you can have other ungaurded bank?

And do you want to tell me who signs up for an email address with their real information?
I do, aswell as many others who have to work for a living.

Have you ever created a resume? I am guessing, no. When you go to apply for a job most places ask for your email address. It is their job before they hire you to make sure you are who you say you are. One of those steps is looking up the email address information. You check references, former jobs and, most of the time, email address information to get as much information on a person before you hire them.

Then I don't think we can even share e-mail addresses with online friends anymore,as any of them could just 'hack' your personal information then harrass you at home with it.

That would certainly help the situation though I am not asking for that.

Think of it this way. You are thinking of robbing a bank. Would you rather rob a bank with no guards, cameras, locks or people in it or a bank with cameras and people, maybe a guard but you don't know? 99% of people would pick. The "easy" bank which is like an email address in a post. There is nobody there to stop anyone from taking and abusing that address. Now if someone really wants an email address they can get it but it will take a bit of work. Registering an account, looking up the member and if they have their email address on public, take it.

The key to stop someone is time. If you can add things to slow down someone you have more time to catch them.

There are plenty of other sites that people post their email addresses on that are free and easy to take. Why spend the time making an account and getting the information when you can have other ungaurded bank?

I do, aswell as many others who have to work for a living.

Have you ever created a resume? I am guessing, no. When you go to apply for a job most places ask for your email address. It is their job before they hire you to make sure you are who you say you are. One of those steps is looking up the email address information. You check references, former jobs and, most of the time, email address information to get as much information on a person before you hire them.

Besides the fact that I work at a summer camp, like I said before I have more than one email address and only give out my main to employers and teachers. That has correct info, the rest of them are just made up stuff.

Now I am guessing you never went to one of those Internet Protection seminars, oh how boring they are, that tell you to make up an alias?

Otherwise I dare you the prove it to me that this is absolutely required, I still have yet to see the use in it.

And I wouldn't use the word "hack" but obtain.

Do you think someone who doesn't want to be bothered would post that stuff?

Edited by Cxkslei

Now I am guessing you never went to one of those Internet Protection seminars, oh how boring they are, that tell you to make up an alias?
I have gone to similar things and have never said the email address I use on 99% of websites have the current information. But not all forum members have heard that it is wise to have a main address that only family members and co-workers use. Most younger people I know have two to four email addresses that everyone uses and with their currect information.

And I wouldn't use the word "hack" but obtain.
In this case I would use "hack" as there is a program used get information not otherwised easly accesible.

Do you think someone who doesn't want to be bothered would post that stuff?
Yes, there are some people on this forum that are either to young or just don't think about the fact.

Protecting the youth? Alright got me convinced well enough, except allowing people to show it on their profile (not the one on post) but the one under the name I don't see a problem with if people want to use it as a method of contact.