Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
devan

Disable Right Click

Don't you think there should be a disable right-click at least on the website, so people don't steal images, and guides?

We haven't had a problem with sites or other people doing that because if we do it is considered Copyright Infringement and the other site usually takes it down rather rapidly.

We also usually do find rippers, and sometimes us guide writers will use the right click in order to use images already on the site. For we can use former images in an updated guide.

Also the ability to see the Source Code for tables comes in handy.

I dont agree with this for multiple reason:

1: not all people know the keyboard shortcuts etc so they use it for copy and paste etc.

2: People might not nessercarily steal images, hwo are you meant to use premade underbannes etc if you cant save them?

3: It wouldnt work because on Apple computers there isnt a right lcick instead they have to press CTRL then click and no-one can stop that.

SORRY I DIDNT READ THAT YOU MEANT ON THE WEBSITE, I THOUGHT YOU MEANT ON THE FORUMS!!!

Edited by Lordo

If someone steals our guides, they are either too small of a fansite for anybody to care or notice, or they are big enough for somebody to notice. Either way they don't succeed.

so people don't steal images

All they have to do is press print screen and crop the picture.

I don't think we need to worry about this too much. So far no one has been accused of Copyright Infringement from what I know of. As long as no one has the intention of doing this, then we're fine.

I don't think we need to worry about this too much. So far no one has been accused of Copyright Infringement from what I know of. As long as no one has the intention of doing this, then we're fine.

For the record, 2 sites, 1 stolen guide on each. Was dealt with within 48 hours if I remember correctly.

Edited by Cxkslei

1 guide isn't much anyway. I was looking around on sites like Zybez, Tip.it, Runehq. All of them have guides that are pretty much the same. Zybez kinda had the same as Sals anyway. Surpirising.

OnYx >.<

Disabling right click is easy to get around by disabling javascript. So no point as it will just annoy the casual user.

Disabling right click is easy to get around by disabling javascript. So no point as it will just annoy the casual user.

I agree. Its annoying when you right click and it gives some error. People making guides will want to be able to get the URLs of some images already on the site (such as items like tinderbox) for putting in the guide that they're writing.

Cxk, how is finding the table code useful? When you make a guide you don't need to give the code, you can make the table using paint (make it an image) or in the code tags and then Sal codes it... :beret:

For the record, 2 sites, 1 stolen guide on each. Was dealt with within 48 hours if I remember correctly.

Well I didn't join this forum when you did. I am member 756 and your 58. And I quote

So far no one has been accused of Copyright Infringement from what I know of.

What guides did they steal? IM confused how do polaces like Slams find out if they are stolen?

What guides did they steal? IM confused how do polaces like Slams find out if they are stolen?

Because somehow one of our members usually finds them.

I forgot which two it was. One of them was Roving Elves.

It's kind of easy when it's word for word, image for image the exact same thing to say it is stolen.

We've had tons of things stolen over the years... from images to parts of guides to entire guides (And in an extreme case, the source code for each of the skill guides :( ). Generally after explaining that the material is legally copyrighted and not allowed to be reused without permission it gets removed in a hurry. I hate no-right-click scripts, and as said before, they aren't particularly useful in most cases. :rolleyes:

We've had tons of things stolen over the years... from images to parts of guides to entire guides (And in an extreme case, the source code for each of the skill guides :rolleyes: ). Generally after explaining that the material is legally copyrighted and not allowed to be reused without permission it gets removed in a hurry. I hate no-right-click scripts, and as said before, they aren't particularly useful in most cases. :rolleyes:

Okey Dokey thanks for clearing that up. I was a bit confused.... :rolleyes:

Yay im a rogue now, sounds much better then unicorn :(

Edited by Lordo

1 guide isn't much anyway. I was looking around on sites like Zybez, Tip.it, Runehq. All of them have guides that are pretty much the same. Zybez kinda had the same as Sals anyway. Surpirising.

OnYx >.<

come on, the guides are going to be similar because they're all abut the same thing! HOW CAN YOU WRITE IN 20 DIFFERENT WAYS ABOUT THE SAME THING?

OnYx >.<

come on, the guides are going to be similar because they're all abut the same thing! HOW CAN YOU WRITE IN 20 DIFFERENT WAYS ABOUT THE SAME THING?

Because no two people write exactly the same way.

I have seen some no source scripts. They disable the viewing of the soruce. It turns gray instrad of the black. I have used that on my website, when it was active in the day :tongue: Its not annoying and has no pop-ups >.<

You could also encrypt the pages with some sort of code. You could also use CopyScape. I've used it and its nice and easy to use. It finds the sites that have copied things from you.

Edited by B₪B

I have seen some no source scripts. They disable the viewing of the soruce. It turns gray instrad of the black. I have used that on my website, when it was active in the day :P Its not annoying and has no pop-ups :D

You could also encrypt the pages with some sort of code. You could also use CopyScape. I've used it and its nice and easy to use. It finds the sites that have copied things from you.

You can't stop people viewing the source, because the browser needs to see it, and if the browser can see it will be possible for anyone to see it.

And encrypting pages will just be hassle for Sal.

i disagree as when people requesti copy and paste images

it would also be unnessecary as not mny people steal guides