Table of Contents
- Official Briefing
- Essential Info
- Quest Walkthrough
- Fast Quest Walkthrough
This page references an aspect of RuneScape from 2007, also known as "Old School RuneScape." This content may have changed since then.
If you are looking for the modern RuneScape guide for this content, please see our Cabin Fever guide.
Quest Release Date: 07 February 2006
It's war on the high seas, as Bill Teach tries to make the journey from Port Phasmatys to the pirate enclave of Mos Le'Harmless!
With his crew heading for the hills, he's looking to recruit anyone eager to become a pirate and help him sink the enemy before he ends up swimming home. He's offering a lot more than a shilling to join his crew. Have you got what it takes to be a pirate?
Begin by speaking to Bill Teach in Port Phasmatys.
- Skills: 40 Ranged, 42 Agility, 45 Crafting, 50 Smithing
- Quests: Pirate's Treasure, Rum Deal
- Items: None.
- Skills: None.
- Quests: None.
- Items: Armor and/or enough food to defend against Pirates (Level 57)
- Difficulty: Experienced
- Length: Medium
You begin by speaking with pirate captain Bill Teach in the Phasmatys Inn. He will tell you that his crew has deserted him and that he needs help to escape the port alive. Agree to help him and meet him on his ship which is docked on the pier to the east.
Once you set sail you will watch a cut scene. Another pirate ship is attacking you and you must stop them!
First you must swing over to the other ship and disable their cannon. Open up the gun supplies chest and take a fuse then open the repair supplies chest and take a coil of rope. Also don't forget to grab a tinderbox while you are below deck. Now go above deck and climb up a rope ladder to the mast. Use your rope with some of the "hoisted sails" and your character will swing across to the other ship.
Once you are aboard the enemy vessel you need to place your fuse into their barrel full of gunpowder. Light the fuse with your tinderbox and watch the fireworks. Now grab the rope near the front of the ship and swing back to your own. Talk to Bill for further instructions.
Since they no longer have a functioning cannon Bill wants you to repair the three holes in your hull. Go below deck and take out a hammer, three sets of planks, 30 tacks, and three swamp pastes. Use the planks with the holes then smear swamp paste on to seal them up. Congratulations you now have a water-tight ship!
Swing on over to it just like before and go below deck. Plunder the chest, loot the crate, and pillage the barrel you should now have six pieces of plunder. Go back to your ship and store them in your "Plunder Chest." Now go back to their ship again and repeat this process. Once you deposit ten pieces of plunder the chest will be full.
Speak to Bill Teach yet again and he will ask you to repair the cannon. First take off the broken barrel then go down below and get a new one from the gun supplies. Use the barrel with the cannon and voila it is fixed.
Now comes the fun part... Bill wants you to destroy their ship. Go below deck again and take out a fuse, a ramrod, and a canister. Go above deck and take some gunpowder out of the powder barrel. When you load the cannon make sure you load it properly or it will explode and you will have to repair it again.
Here is the correct way to load one:
- Clean it out with the ramrod.
- Insert some black powder.
- Shove the powder in with the ramrod.
- Insert a canister.
- Put in the fuse.
Once you injure their crew with the canister you must now fire three cannon balls to sink the ship once and for all. Go down below and take out at least three cannon balls and three fuses for this part (you may want to take a couple extras just in case you fail this next part). Now take three batches of powder out of the barrel and fire the cannon the same way you fired it before. Except use a cannon ball instead of a canister of course.
- 2 Quest Points Book O' Piracy 7,000 Smithing experience 7,000 Crafting experience 7,000 Agility experience Ability to travel to Mos Le'Harmless and buy pirate equipment. Speak to Bill Teach to get an additional 10,000gp. Bard Roberts in Port Sarim's pub will sing you a shanty of the adventures you had on this quest.
Book O' Piracy
The "Little Book o'Piracy" will teach you some pirate lore and gives tips on how to dress like a pirate. It also has a convenient glossary at the back that will help you learn the technical pirate jargon. This book is important because it lets you talk to the pirates!
Fast Quest Walkthrough
- [^] Talk to Bill Teach
- [^] Head to his Ship, board, talk to him, and watch a cut-scene
- [^] Below deck, take Fuse from Gun Supplies Chest
- [^] Take Rope from Repair Supplies Chest
- [^] Take a Tinderbox
- [^] Go above deck
- [^] Climb Rope Ladder to Mast
- [^] Use Rope with Hoisted Sails
- [^] Use Fuse with Barrel of Gunpowder
- [^] Light Fuse with Tinderbox
- [^] Swing back to your Ship
- [^] Talk to Bill
- [^] Go below deck
- [^] Get Hammer, 3 Planks, 3 Swamp Paste and 30 Tacks
- [^] Use Planks with holes
- [^] Cover in Swamp Paste
- [^] Talk to Bill
- [^] Swing to other Ship
- [^] Go below deck
- [^] Plunder Chest, Crate and Barrel
- [^] Go back to your ship
- [^] Store Plunder in Plunder Chest
- [^] Repeat steps 20, 21, 22 until you have 10 pieces of plunder
- [^] Talk to Bill
- [^] Take off broken Barrel from Gun
- [^] Get new Barrel from Gun Supplies chest and repair the Cannon
- [^] Get Fuse, Ramrod and Canister
- [^] Get Gunpowder from Barrel
- [^] Load Cannon
- [^] Get at least 3 Cannonballs, Fuses and lots of Gunpowder
- [^] Fire 3 Cannonballs at other Ship
- [^] Watch a cut-scene
- [^] Quest Complete!