King Black Dragon Hunting
The King Black Dragon, also known as the KBD, is a three-headed, level 276, massive dragon and was once the most powerful creature in RuneScape. The rewards are high, but so are the risks. Are you up for the challenge?
Table of Contents
- Monster Details
- Getting There
King Black Dragon
Life Points: 2,400
Combat Type: Melee and Magic
Max Hit: 254 (more than 650 without Antidragon Shield or Dragonfire Shield)
It is suggested that you do not use magic attacks, because you can't wear armor that will protect you from the KBD's attacks while successfully casting magic spells.
- Weapon: Any one-handed dragon weapon or whip
- Armor: Rune, dragon, or barrows
- Helmet: Helm of Neitiznot, Berserker Helmet, or Warrior Helmet
- Boots: Rune, dragon
- Gloves: RFD gloves, FOG gauntlets, or vambraces
- Amulet: Strength amulet, glory, or fury
- Ring: Ring of wealth or ring of life
- Cape: Fire cape or Skill cape (If you don't have either, any cape works)
- Weapon: Rune crossbow (Without this you will not do much damage)
- Armor: Void Knight, black or red dragonhide, or Karil's
- Helmet: Helm of Neitiznot, archer helmet, a coif, or void ranger helm (Only if you have the rest of the void outfit)
- Boots: Ranger boots or snakeskin boots
- Gloves: RFD gloves, vambraces, or Void Knight Gloves
- Amulet: Glory or fury
- Ring: Ring of wealth or ring of life
- Cape: Ava's Accumulator
You can replace the super set with more food. You need the super antipoison pot because there are poison spiders right outside the entrance to the KBD and you can also be poisoned by one of the KBD's attacks. The super antipoison also makes you immune to poison for five minutes, rather than the regular antipoison which just cures your poison. You can also replace the sharks with monkfish, lobsters, or baskets of fruit. It is suggested that you don't take anything that heals lower than 12hp.
You can replace the ranging potion with more food. You need the super antipoison pot because there are poison spiders right outside the entrance to the KBD and you can also be poisoned by one of the KBD's attacks. The super antipoison also makes you immune to poison for five minutes, rather than the regular antipoison which just cures your poison. You can also replace the sharks with monkfish, lobsters, or baskets of fruit. It is suggested that you don't take anything that heals lower than 12hp.
There are a few ways to get to the KBD other than walking there (Which isn't a good idea, seeing as the KBD is in level 42 Wilderness). Using the Ardougne lever, obelisks, walking from Bounty Hunter, canoes and Lava Titan.
The Ardougne lever will teleport you to level 54 Wilderness. You will need a sharp object such as a sword to cut through a web once you are in the Wilderness.
You now must walk to the KBD lair. On the way, you will encounter Hellhounds, wolves, Giant Spiders, Deadly Red Spiders, and possibly Revenants.
Walk to the obelisk in level 13 Wilderness. Click on one of the four pillars in the corner, and then walk to the center. You will teleport to another random obelisk. You are aiming for the obelisk in level 44 Wilderness.
You are aiming for the obelisk in level 44 Wilderness. Then it is a short walk from there to the KBD lair.
Teleport to bounty hunter using a games necklace, and then walk to the KBD lair.
Note: This method requires 57 Woodcutting.
Go to any canoe station and choose the Waka canoe. Then choose the Wilderness as your destination. You will end up in level 35 Wilderness. You then must walk to the KBD lair.
Note: This method requires 83 Summoning.
After you Summon your Lava Titan, use it to teleport. You'll end up right outside the KBD entrance.
Entrance to the Lair
Once you get inside the fence, run past the lesser demons and climb down the ladder that's straight ahead of you.
Then pull the lever. Remember to check your chatbox to see if you were poisoned by the poison spiders!
It is suggested that you take a Beast of Burden (BOB), in which you take extra food or potions. Unless you have a very good Summoning level (90+), don't take attacking familiars. If you have 88+ Summoning, take a unicorn stallion and a lot of Healing Aura scrolls. This will save you a lot of inventory space because you won't need food. If you have 68 Summoning, instead of a Beast of Burden, you can take a bunyip, although make sure you bring food too.
Going With a Group
If it's your first time going to the KBD, you should go with a few other people who know what they're doing, just so you get a feel for it. Even if you aren't going for the first time, if you're under level 95 combat (Without Summoning), you should still go with a group. Here's a list of how many people you should have in your group depending on your combat level. (Combat levels do not include Summoning)
- Combat Level 95-105: 1-2 People
- Combat Level 80-95: 2-4 People
- Combat Level 65-80: 5-7 People
- Combat Level 50-65: 8-12 People
- Combat Level 50 and Under: 14+ People
If you want to share your drops evenly, then you should have lootshare/coinshare on, which requires being on a lootshare world. This will mean that it will be harder to find an empty KBD world, so you'll either have to keep hopping until you find an empty world, or you can just help whoever else is already there kill the KBD.
If you are experienced with the KBD, it is suggested that you be at least 95 combat without Summoning and have at least 80 range and Defence in order to kill it efficiently without hassle, and if you aren't experienced, it is suggested that you be at least 105 combat without Summoning. Since it will be only you against the KBD, you don't need to share your drops with anyone. This means you don't need to be on a lootshare world, so you will be able to find an empty world quicker.
How to Kill the KBD
If you're in a group, make a circle around the dragon. That way it will spin around in circles trying to attack everyone, and only getting in a few attacks. This will minimize the amount of attacks from the KBD.
If you are soloing, stand in the KBD's melee area and pray melee. This protects you from his melee attack and also reduces the chance of him using his three breath attacks, saving a lot of food and potions. Since you will be using prayer the whole time, you can replace some of your food for prayer potions, seeing as you won't need much food.
The KBD's Attacks
- Melee - This can hit over twenty, so be prepared.
- Poison Blast - This attack will poison you. While rare, it will probably happen at least once if you are killing the KBD a few times.
- Freeze Blast - This attack will freeze you in place. While rare, it will probably happen at least once if you are killing the KBD a few times.
- Fire Breath - If you have an anti-dragon shield, this will most likely not hit above five. If you are using an antifire potion and an anti-dragon shield, then this attack will most likely not hit above zero.
Finally, the beast is dead, and you get the loot! There are many things the KBD can drop, such as: